BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sharks in the inner bays in Bahia Concepcion?
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 01:58 AM
Sharks in the inner bays in Bahia Concepcion?

I snorkel alot in the bays of Bahia Concepcion, and not once did I ever encounter a shark - large or small. Not that that disappoints me, but my question is this: Do sharks stay on the Sea of Cortez side and not enter the smaller Bays? -- RandyMac
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 04:15 AM

Randy: I have never observed a Shark in the Bay of Conception.
However around the Tip and South at the Isla Ildefonso at one time there were many Sharks.All types including a HammerHead at times.
Side note.After talking to many of the Shark fisherman I have never determined that there has been a Shark Attack as is the case on the Pacific side in that Area.
Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 05:34 AM
Sharks in fishermen's nets...

Skeet - thanks for the info.

I do remember seeing 2 small sharks in the fishermen's nets and boats at Playa El Requeson last year, however I do not recall whether they fish with their nets inside of the Bay of Concepcion or outside the Bay in the Sea of Cortez. Perhaps there are small sharks in the Bay. I plan to do some research on this.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 06:43 AM

If you want to see sharks, here is the formula.

Nikki, my daughter, and Bob fish for 100+ mackerel (no lie).
Then they blend them into a smoothie.
I wash the blender after.
Then they bag the slush and freeze it.

Throw the ball into a bucket and place it in the water to let it melt.
I guarantee if there are sharks anywhere with in 10 miles they will come to you. I've seen it.

Remember all the fish I've seen in the sea have teeth. Don't get bit.:lol::lol:
sus

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 08:32 AM

Randy,

I spend alot of time underwater up north of you. Although I have yet to see a large shark I know they are out here. My friends have caught large mako and hammerhead in nets, and I have heard credible stories of large tiger sharks out off shore in the summer because the water is so warm.

I do alot of spearfishing and diving at the Enchanted Islands and we have not had any encounters. I think that the food supply in the sea of cortez is enough to keep any sizeable sharks fed and happy.

The stories I have heard, the shark circles a few times and leaves. Enough for a wetsuit change but no real danger.:yes:

They make a device for diving with sharks that hooks on to your tank called the shark pod. It send out electronic signals that the sharks dont like. The only problem is you have to see him comming to hit the button!

I have never seen or heard of sizeable sharks near shore.

But if you get bit dont blame me....

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 03:22 PM
Bob and Susan and gonetobaja - thanks for the info...

I appreciate the information and suggestions.

I was a little spooked at times while spearfishing, but I guess ya takes your chances.

First day in the Yucatan back in Nov 2000 I had an 7 foot reef shark hammer the side of my kayak 2 times before I hammered back with my paddle.

It made me a little uncomfortable snorkeling and spearfishing, but I got used to being on the lookout all the time.

RandyMac
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 08:20 PM
sharks in concepcion

My husband brought me to Baja in '78 or '79. We camped at the spit at Santispac (there are houses there now). We were driving a four-tone VW bug and living out of a tiny backpacking tent. What a great trip!! Anyway, we met a couple of shark fishermen in an ancient panga. They netted sharks in Concepcion Bay. One day they even took us out to a small island while they cleaned the sharks. Their boat was full of sharks. I can't remember, or didn't know at the time, what kind they were. I remember one of them was pregnant, and the live baby sharks wiggled when they slit the shark open and they spilled out. I was uncomfortable, but fascinated. They were such hard workers and so cheerful all the time. These guys introduced us to ceviche. They cut up a fish, threw the pieces in a mason jar with some lime juice, set it under a bush for a few hours and then we dined. It was delectable. Every morning they showed up before we were even out of bed. We cooked coffee over a fire and shared a cup or two. They took us to town to meet their wives and children. They lived in one room shacks with two cots and no chairs. Their wives were my age and our lives were so different. We have returned to Baja for weeks or months nearly every year since. So, the answer to the question, is that 25 years ago, yes, there were definitely sharks in Bahia Concepcion.
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 08:50 PM

I like the happy fish
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2004 at 09:55 PM

On the wall of my office there hangs the Teeth of an 800 Lb. shark I caught off of Ildefonso in 1976 while Shark fishing With Enrigue Murillo of San Nicolas.Tackle was a heavy rod with 125 Lb. Line and a piece of donkey meat.At that time Enrique and I would leave early in the Morning with a Snap-on Coffe Cup of Tequlia and head for the Isla.By the time we got the 5 miles we were ready for the day! on many days we would put 2,000 lbs of Shark in the Panga and head Home.
They would average about 400 Lbs. Iwould hook them and get them to the Panga in about 20 minutes,Enrique would Smite them on the Nose with an Iron Wood Billy, where as they would take off and I would again bring them to the Panga. After 3 or 4 smaks,the Shark would turn on his back and circle the Panga a couple of times.I would bring them to the edge of the Panga and Enrique would stab into the Brain area,then he Would Cut the Tail and and let it Bleed for at least 10 minutes,he would then put pressure on the eye to see if there was any reaction,if none we would put them in the Panga.

We took the Sharks into the Village where the women would filet,Salt and hang on the fences to Dry.later they would be Bundled into about 16 Lb Units, taken to the Road and picked up for transport to Mexico to be consumed in Tacos on the Streets.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 3-27-2004 at 10:32 AM

Skeet, What kind of sharks were they? I know of one story where some divers were bothered by a large Mako at Ildefonso. I have spent a lot of time in the water there spearing fish and never seen a shark. Always wondered what might be swimming up the trail of blood after ripping the gills out of a fish while swimming to the boat. Also what time of year?
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2004 at 12:20 PM

PangMadness:
This was between 1976 1980.Enrquie was still living in Papa Murillos's House . Marcella,Jose,etc were small boys,Chewy was about 15.
All types:
Thesher,small Hammerheads,dusky,Blue{Tintederio} and others I did not ID.
After Marsella grew up and started netting on a daily basis I have not seen many in the last 10 years.
The last time about 15 years ago I had my Lobster boat and spent the nite with Marsella,he had just pulled in his Net which contained small Dusky's about 250 Lbs. each,along with marlin,dorado,and a few Grouper of about 15 lbs.

In 76 I pulled two Groupers out of 40 foot of Water in the same Hole on the Southwest side of the Island.100 and 180 lbs each,weighed on the "Cotton Scale" at San Nicolas.
I regularly caught Yellowtail of up to 40 lbs. on top of the water just off the Northeast point and off about 1/4 Mile.

Mostly in the Late spring. I am writing all about my times while staying in My palapa,located just above the Well in the corner of Papa Murillos' Property. At that time Terry was just gettin Married to Victor's Sister.
I to have snorkeld there many times! It is still my favorite Location.!
Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 05:28 PM

We did not see any sharks on this trip or any other for that matter.

We did see the fisherman at Requeson come in with 40 to 50 smallish bat rays in their gill net last Wednesday. I never knew there was so much waste, very little meat in a bat ray.
:barf:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2004 at 05:48 AM

pangamadness:
I did not do much in the way of an I.D. on the different species. At that time i was trying to Help Enrique and his Family to develop income for they and their children,Yuyu, Martin,Manuel,Rossellva,Patima, and Little Enrique.
It became a matter of Survival for them!In the Summer most of the people would go up i=on the Mesa to the south to sleep, or on the ground and up on the old Flatbed Truck. I would listen to the moaning each night, coming from Enrique,s Wife Rachael .
She had a very bad tooth Problem and need medical Teatment.I vowed to get the money so that she could go to the Dentist,which she finally was able to!
many of the people on this and other Boards do not realize the abstract poverty of those small villages that had to survive on fishing!
"They need to go and spend some time with those people and learn from them'what it means to be Hungry!

As I look back and that time at San Nicolas and the Isla,the best part was not Catching all of the many Fish but to the people I was able to enteract with on a Daily basis.
I was given an opportunity to see some of the most fantastic Sea Life in the World !
One of these days I hope to Write of those Experiences so others may share and "If Gods willing and the Creeks Don,t rise" I may with Gods help , be able to do Just that!
"Enjoy My Isla"
Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2004 at 08:09 AM

Skeet!!! Start Writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a few years you could have your own booth at Keri's booksigning!

:)

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2004 at 08:55 AM
No doubt Skeet

Your life experiences are truly interesting and should be put to ink.

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 06:47 AM

No Kiddin Skeet ....
We learn by others .. go for it!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.