Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Need a job
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 05:37 PM
Need a job

I frequent this board and have for a while. I know this doesnt have anything to to with baja but im looking for any good job ideas for a 25 year old who loves baja, fishing, and the outdoors. I have a business degree from Point Loma Nazarene and worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car. I think some of you guys/gals might have some good ideas. Thanks
Ethan
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 07:37 PM

How about working for a private fishing charter boat? You would get to be outdoors, off the Baja coast, and obviously.....getting the opportunity to do some fishing. Check the link below!

http://www.hmlanding.com/private.htm

pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 10:47 PM

Already do in the summer on the Dolphin II. Great idea though. Too bad its mostly a summer time thing. I need a career though now. thanks
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 10:56 PM

Check it out:

http://dps.nv.gov/personnel/index.shtml

DPS badge.jpg - 19kB

pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 11:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Looks cool!
pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2007 at 11:34 PM

im also applying for the BP as well. long process but got a 92 on my test, so thats a start. Its always good to get new ideas.
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 05:13 AM

Y'know, Ethan, if you really love "fishing, Baja and the outdoors", you could do what I did (and continue doing).

When I was a few years younger than you, I decided that retirement is wasted on the old, and started taking mine in chunks. I first moved to Vermont, and then Colorado, living right next to ski areas nd working construction to pay for my winters off skiing.

Then I went to Baja in 1985 at the age of 25 and fell in love with the place.

Since then, I have been working maybe three months per year, dispensing with such costly encumbrances as kids, property, renting, car payments and US health care.

I found that I can spend time doing what I love in the US, Canada and Mexico for most of the year while working less and less.

For example, once I pay for car maintenance (not very much on a 94 Prizm), camping gear, fishing license, Mexican insurance and gas to get there, Mexico ends up costing me about $15-$20 per week for six or seven months; figure $2000 per winter to cover the "extras" that always pop up.

The "extras" in my case: a house for $150/month plus some labor; dental work; prescriptions; beermaking supplies; a mordida or two; satellite radio.

As you can see, I decided long ago that a couple of weeks per year vacation doesn't cut it with me; nor does working steady for lots of toys and retirement when I'm older.

Of course, there's the downside in that I'll still be working a few months per year when I'm 90

:P
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Of course, there's the downside in that I'll still be working a few months per year when I'm 90

In those "later" years your productivity will have declined to a level that you have to work 50 weeks a year to be able to take a 2 week vacation :(:(:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:17 AM
My new hero ! ! !

I'll bet I'm not the only working stiff thinkig Vandy is my new idol ! !:)

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
djh
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:19 AM
HOWEVER....

I really have few complaints....

A good portion of my "work" is playing my cello and conducting orchestras all over the world ! Talk about a great way to travel :-).

djh

Peace, Love, and Music
djh
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:21 AM
BTW

BTW Vandy,

check your U2U

Peace, Love, and Music
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:50 AM

Vandy what is going to happen when you are 60 or so and to sick or disabled to work, or can't get hired cause your old don't think 3 or 400 in ss will cut it
Pascuale check out the navy its not a job its a adventure

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by jimgrms]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:59 AM

Have you considered welfare? Evidently a lot of Americans survive comfortably on taxpayer generosity. If they didn't, and had to work, we wouldn't be worrying ourselves about a stupid fence.

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by DENNIS]
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Have you considered welfare? Evidently a lot of Americans survive comfortably on taxpayer generosity. If they didn't, and had to work, we wouldn't be worrying ourselves about a stupid fence.

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by DENNIS]

That is so true Dennis. When New Orleans flooded they reported that the city as a whole had 80% unemployment. What would compel people to stick around a place that that cannot get work? The answer is entitlements. Do away with those and we could actually speak English when we order our Big Macs. Until the government quits paying people to have babies the immigration problem isn't going anywhere. Remember, people on the government dole vote for whoever promises to give them the biggest raise.

As far as work. Do something you love and the money will be secondary. Their are fishing boats that work the winter, but it is not as much fun.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:23 AM

Pascale - how about selling real estate? That's a really transferrable skill, and several people I know down here are making a darn good living.

The down side is that it must be rather quiet in the States about now.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:28 AM

You guys sure are a cynical lot :(:(:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 11:10 AM

Think hard about jumping into selling Real Estate in a foreign country, you had better know what you are doing or you could get in way over your head very quickly, it's bad enough in the states. I'm not rying to be negative but I am a broker in the states and I know several that conduct business in foreign countries it can be very lucrative but it is best to have experience in the business before jumping in. Get your brokers license in the states to gain experience and at the same time educate yourself to how RE works in other countires.
DrTom
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 11:12 AM

hmm rentals and a biz degree......real estate.
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
Think hard about jumping into selling Real Estate in a foreign country, you had better know what you are doing or you could get in way over your head very quickly, it's bad enough in the states. I'm not rying to be negative but I am a broker in the states and I know several that conduct business in foreign countries it can be very lucrative but it is best to have experience in the business before jumping in. Get your brokers license in the states to gain experience and at the same time educate yourself to how RE works in other countires.

How long you been a broker in Gold Hill Oregon? :lol:

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 12:31 PM

You guys who are cynically suggesting welfare, your biases and ignorance are inappropriate in this string (or anywhere, really).

The guy is asking for work not welfare! He is young, earnest and possibly a little naive, like we all were once. Come on....cut him some slack. Better yet, offer him a job.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.