BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First Timer with a few concerns..
G-Rock

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 08:54 AM
First Timer with a few concerns..

Howdy Friends,

I'm new here and soon to be a first time driver on the Baja.

I have 16 days off work and I'm ready for an adventure so I'm driving from Denver to the Baja. I'm 43, traveling alone in a 07 VW. I'll likely spend some nights sleeping in the car or camping and an other nights in inexpensive hotels.

I've traveled quite a bit in Central America but I do have a few concerns about Mexico.

From what I've read here it can be a little sketchy crossing the boarder and driving through TJ. Any suggestions? Time of day? Once I get past TJ are there any other areas I should avoid? I'm hoping to do a little surfing however; I don't want to travel with a board. Will I be able to rent a board down there?

Finally, I'm going to try to make it all the way to the Cabo. Please recommend "can't miss" places, restaurants, sights, etc.

Thanks!

Greg
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 09:12 AM

Tecate is a much nicer intro to Baja than Tijuana. Cross there and drive the road through the mountains and Guadalupe Valley to Ensenada (if you are headed for Highway 1). Alternatively, you can cross at Mexicali and head south for San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay (a beautiful isolated gem) and then on to Highway 1 about 400 miles south of the border. The only caveat about this route is that the section from Puertecitos to Gonzaga, 50 miles or so, is about the worst road you will ever see. But I drove it is a beat up low clearance Dodge minivan once. You don't need 4WD but higher clearance helps.

At Gonzaga, there are two nice campgrounds--I prefer Campo Beluga--which are not at all crowded this time of year. There is also Alfonsina's. Rooms are around $40 per night and the restaurant serves exquisite seafood meals.

Have a great trip and try to hit Bahia de los Angeles as well.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 09:17 AM

Cross the border at Tecate and you will have a much more "pleasant" entry into Baja.
If you are going farther south, plan to make San Quintin or farther, your first night.
From there on south, just your normal, south-of-the-border common sense should do.
There are board rental at Los Cerritos and Pescadero Surf Camp, both just south of Todos Santos.
I'm sure they're available elsewhere.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 09:38 AM

Both suggestions sound good to me also, and having grown up in Colorado, remember winter there as ABC

(Anywhere But Colorado)

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 09:43 AM

With so many recommendations for the Tecate route, someone should give him the latest on getting his FMT there. How easy is that?

G-Rock

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 09:48 AM

Thanks guys! ah ummm, whats an FMT?
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 09:53 AM

G-rock,
16 days to Cabo and back to Denver is ambitious. I did Denver to LaPaz and back in 3 weeks in Sept '06 and should have either taken 2 more weeks or just stopped in Mulege area as southernmost stop.

I still haven't seen Cabo, will someday, but there are so many other gorgeous spots here. Spending only 1 night misses out on the adventure and beauty.

Iknowiknowiknow the lure of saying you drove the entire peninsula. But, I strongly urge you to spend more time on your feet and outside of your VW.

Last item is watch your weather forecasts for CO, NM, UT and NV storms as 'tis the season.

HAVEABLAST and holler if you need a night in Ensenada. The Pub is open.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:10 AM

Sleep in a bug...are you crazy...You will have to go to Todos Santos at least...to see Amir for an adjustment:o:o:o:lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:18 AM

I agree with bajadock. You'll need to make time to enjoy the places you stop. At least two nights. But I'll bet you'll find a place you'll not be able to leave. My two were LA Bay (La Gringa) and Punta Chivato. Put those on your list. You may make it as far as Loreto this time but guaranteed you'll be back for more ASAP! Have too much fun!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:24 AM

FM-T is your tourist permit. The immigration office for your permit is right at the border on the right hand side.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:32 AM

The Tourist Card/ Permit/ FM-T is your 'visa' to be in Mexico legally... required for travel south of the border area (Maneadero, 10 mi. so. of Ensenada) or anywhere in Mexico for more than 72 hours. Free for up to 7 days, about US$20 for longer... up to 180 days. You will need your birth cert. and photo ID or a passport... Mexican officials cannot take the payment, you must walk it over to a bank teller to pay, then go back to the INM office for the final stamp.

At Tijuana is a 24/7 bank teller window just for this purpose... Tecate has a bank across the street, but open only during normal bank hours.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

G-Rock

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:49 AM

Thanks for the tips! Exactly wanted I needed. Keep em coming. If i don't make it all the way down thats fine with me, I'm in no hurry. I'll certainly take your suggestions.

As for the VW bug, well, its actually a new 2007 Rabbit, but I get your point. Pretty small for sleeping. I'm trying to make a trade on a Honda Element as we speak. Much better for camping!

I'm getting excited!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 11:01 AM

What are your interests? Baja is a mecca for naturalists. With the recent rains, Baja may be a lot greener than usual. Mission/indigenous history? Get a decent map, of course - and you will note that Mex. 1 does not follow the Pacific coast for too long before it goes down the center of the peninsula and then over to the gulf side, so consider your surfing opportunities accordingly. Also, be aware of what time sundown occurs - as you will want to be heading to your campsite (offroad) before dark.
G-Rock

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 11:27 AM

I would love to do some shallow water sea kayaking and surfing maybe whale watching. Good food, few beers, make some friends, dance (salsa). But b/c this is sort of last minute, I'm on a budget. Is it dangerous after dark or just hard to get around?
Ojosraros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 11:46 AM

are you bringing a kayak? we are going to Lopez Mateos and Poza Grande for shallow water kayaking after xmas. this is in Magdalena Bay, an incricate labyrinth of mangroves, barrier islands, sand bars, exotic birds and baby whales. we will be camping and fishing there.
bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 12:26 PM

They still make Rabbits? Love 'em. Anyway, make sure your car is good and dirty.

Bajaboolie
G-Rock

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 03:50 PM

WOW! I looked up pics of Lopez Mateos and Poza Grande. Looks amazing. I will not be traveling with a Kayak. Are there places to rent them there?

They changed the name of the VW Golf back to Rabbit. Not the greatest marketing idea but its a great little car. Really dirty car = less chance of getting ripped off?

[Edited on 12-10-2007 by G-Rock]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 04:13 PM

G-Rock. Go for it. You'll be able tell stories about your adventure around campfires forever. Beware tho, if you leave, you'll always want to return.:spingrin:
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 12-10-2007 at 10:59 PM

You have a great time...lots to see...take it slow...

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2007 at 06:39 AM

You will never make it to Cabo but thats OK, save it for the next trip, or the one after, or the one after that or...............
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.