BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: It\'s never too early to start planning a trip to baja.
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2004 at 11:05 AM
It\'s never too early to start planning a trip to baja.

3 amigos and myself are planning our annual "brotherhood" trip. Last year we went to San Felipe (entered in San Luis). Camped for 3 days. This year we have a week and would like to go to Gonzaga Bay. We will be driving a minivan and will be camping. We would like to come down to gonzaga through SF and Puertecitos(If you think a minivan can make it) and then return home through Laguna Chapala and up the pacific coast. I am hoping for some input on an itenerary of places to eat and must sees. We are a relaxed bunch of gringos who will probably hire a panga for fishing one day. But other than that we are on the cheap, camping on the beach and eating fish tacos etc. I would like to know where to get good shrimp tacos. Planning on camping at Alphonsina's. Anyway let me know what you would do if you had a week in June. Thanks
Pablo

\"changes it lattitudes, changes in attitudes\"
J.Buffet
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2004 at 06:07 PM
David K

I am patiently (anxiously) waiting for your input....

J.Buffet
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2004 at 06:48 PM

Okay, okay...
I just got back from Baja and will write a quick report... But, your request come first Paul!

Gonzaga Bay (Bahia San Luis Gonzaga and the bigger Ensenada de San Francisquito) is one of Baja's most beautiful. Wide sand beaches stretch from ALFONSINA'S RESORT south to PUNTA FINAL. My last trip to stay there was Thanksgiving http://davidksbaja.com/1103 where we were the gusts of Brandi and Mike, camping next to their trailer.

PAPA FERNANDEZ' RESORT is on the north shore of Bahia San Luis Gonzaga. There is a restaurant (see photo of John Wayne and Papa) and private homes. Camping over the hill on a beach is accessed from Papa's. A cable keeps that beach secured for paying guests. The point that is the entrance to Gonzaga Bay is called Punta Willard. The island in the bay is sometimes called Willard Island, otherwise it is Isla San Luis Gonzaga. Pangas might be hired at Papa's.

Missionaries in the 1760's and later off loaded supplies here at Gonzaga Bay for their nearby mission at Santa Maria de los Angeles and the next mission at San Fernando Velicata. Ruins of their warehouse can be seen between Papa's and Alfonsina's.

ALFONSINA'S has a motel and excellent restaurant & bar for the public, but no camping facilities.

Just south of Alfonsina's is RANCHO GRANDE with recently added palapas for campers. They run the market, gasoline sales and tire repair along Hwy. 5. Alfonsina's has the Pemex station (closed for most of the 5 years it has been there).

Just south of Rancho Grande is CAMPO BELUGA a campground on the beach that looks very nice... worth checking out.

PUNTA FINAL is a private community at the south end of Ensenada de San Francisquito, on the former site of Puerto de San Francisquito. Here is where gold ore was shipped out from the ore mill (Molino de San Francisquito) that is now called Molino de Lacy, after its founder William Lacy, buried at the site.

Also, 5 miles north of Papa's is PUNTA BUFEO which has a rustic motel, restaurant, and a beautiful beach.

Other than fishing and water sports, there is much to see near Gonzaga. I named a couple... Here's details on some of the others: http://davidksbaja.com/1102/page2.html

[Edited on 3-29-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 06:57 AM
You Da Man!

Thanks David. Hope you had a good trip.

[Edited on 3-29-2004 by bajapablo]

J.Buffet
timperkins
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 07:38 AM
GPS coordinates and travel time

David - Do you have the GPS coordinates for Gonaga Bay? I've borrowed a hand held GPS and am taking it down on Friday.

Also, do you have the approximate travel times for SD -> San Felipe -> Puertocitas -> GB?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 07:45 AM

De nada Pablo. Please post a report when you return, as well. We all see things differently, or see different things... the more of us who post trip reports, the more informed our fellow Nomads will be on their adventure in Baja!

Hi Tim,
Go to http://community-2.webtv.net/thebaja/bajagpslist (or click on my Index, below) for my GPS waypoint list.

San Diego to San Felipe is 5 hrs (via Calexico).
San Felipe to Puertecitos is 2 hrs.
Puertecitos to Gonzaga is 1.5 hrs. plus stops to take in the great views!

[Edited on 3-29-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

timperkins
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 09:38 AM
Thanks, David

I may have asked this before... My plan was to drive south through Ensenada to Hwy 3, then east to Hwy 5 and San Felipe. I've never driven that stretch of road before.

Do you know how much time I'll save taking I-8 to Calexico? Will I be missing much by taking the I-8 route?

Also (and you must get SO tired of answering this question) south of SF, where should I plan to get gas? After Gonzaga, I'll be swinging around to Hwy 1 and coming home North on Hwy 1.

[Edited on 3-29-2004 by timperkins]
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 01:04 PM
road map

Anybody know of a good online road map of baja that lists highway numbers?

J.Buffet
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 02:23 PM

Stop and see the hot springs in Puertecitos. Also 4 miles south of puertecitos is a resturant called Bahia Christina resturant. They have the best shrimp tacos ive ever had, as well as a full bar and clean bathrooms. It is a great place to stop and streach on the way to gonzaga.

GTB
http://gonetobaja.com
bajapablo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 02:28 PM
shrimp tacos

will make sure of it! Can't ever pass on ggod shrimp tacos.

J.Buffet
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2004 at 04:55 PM

That's okay amigo... ask away. I don't get tired of answering questions, as it keeps me 'into Baja'! However, some of you might get tired of seeing my numerous posts (sorry, but I have a bad case of Baja Fever...)?

I have not been on all of Hwy. 3 (the Ensenada to San Felipe section) for a couple years, now... Last June I was on part of it to watch the Baja 500, and it was fine...

San Diego-Ensenada: 1.5 hrs.
Ensenada-San Felipe: 3.5 hrs.

Now, that is the same as via Calexico... But, you do have to drive across Ensenada, which will make it seem like an hour longer! Then there's the 20 miles of curves leaving Ensenada (to Ojos Negros jcn.) and if you are trapped behind a slow truck... that's another hour in 'vertual' driving time!!! On the bright side, Hwy. 3 is a whole lot prettier drive than Hwy. 5 as it resmbles Earth instead of Mars!

Next gas south of San Felipe is Gonzaga Bay (usually). Next, if you are turning north on Hwy. 1 at Chapala, would be Rancho San Martin, out of cans or at Catavina (Pemex pump or Alfonso cans)

Now, go make some discoveries and tell us about them!

jide
Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 3-29-2004 at 05:06 PM
xtra gas

Take extra gasolina if you are planning to travel during the semana santa (apr 16-23rd) Lots of mexican citizen travel then and pemex stations usually run out of unleaded first, as diesel is supplied in priority during this time for buses etc...
have a good trip!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.