Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: I dream of beach front - buy now retire later
jcorder

[*] posted on 12-17-2007 at 10:10 PM
I dream of beach front - buy now retire later

Hi all,

Thank you for this awesome web site. I live in Arizona and dream of retiring in Mexico. I go to Puerto Penasco all the time, and I really want a beachfront lot on the Sea of Cortez to park a trailer and eventually build my retirement home.

I love to fish and kayak and just enjoy being close to the water. I'd like to find a place that is not developed at all and reasonably priced.

I speak about half Spanish now and plan to become fluent. I want to become a member of a small community, not an outsider.

I'm envious of all of you who are already there! I just have to finish raising my kids (about 10 years). It'll be vacations on my lot for a while, and then start building.

Anyway, any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I believe that if I don't buy now I probably won't be able to afford it later.

Regards,

Jim
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 12-17-2007 at 10:30 PM

Jim you are right...well maybe. while out of the way places are avilable... if any of us knew of the place you look for and could not use it...we do share.
Best bet is come on down...get to know locals...tell realtors to take a hike, and learn...you have time. The market is cooling...welcome aboard, get to know us and little things do come out:lol:mostly on the humorous side, but this is the place to "get er done"

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2007 at 10:46 PM
Come on Down..

Hello Jim,
Yes we have a great website to explore. I would be lost without it. I check it nightly. I to am planning on semi-retire in Baja. We have been going that way for 20 years.
You should come down and see what we still have open for new neighbors in Tripui... Just south of Lorerto. I too have gotten kyacks this last year with only a few hundreds yards to the water. We have a great number of original folks before the fire and a bunch of newbies, a number of which are my close friends from North Calif.

We have alot of flexabilty in what you want to spend on your Casita. some very open, some very nice "mason" homes. You do not need to start out balls to the wall to start with. Its been three years since the fire and Iam one of last originals to build... My walls are up and the roof is on...It looks great...

Come down and check us out....

martin-o
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2007 at 11:21 PM

Its strange that real estate agents will tell you its all sold out from TJ to Cabo but you can drive for hundreds of miles and see nothing? No one... and the RE market has effectively crashed meaning more for sale and less buyers.

So:

Don't believe its sold out and expensive-thats complete BS.
Don't use agents-they are outside the general market and largely uniformed and worse.
Don't buy in an arroyo-buy somewhere safe.
Do spend time somewhere before buying.
Do go for what you want and stick to it.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-18-2007 at 12:25 AM

Wow there was another post just like this one earlier today.
I had this same dream. I had some time off and spent about 4 months driving all over and looking at different properties. I found them on the internet and through agents and wherever I could. I learned alot.
I learned what I liked and what I didn't like. I was able to figure out what was practical and what was not.
What I could afford and what was out of reach.
I found my place and made a decision based on what would work for me.
I bought lots on the water.
Pacific side.
But like you I intend to build a casa to spend long weekends and vacations and then eventually retire.
So get some tips off here or wherever you can and go take look. It's the only way.
How will you get to your dream? Drive from Arizona? Think about that a little. It's a long way to the Baja side of the Cortez.
Airliner? Could be an expensive weekend.
Will you realy be able to use it or will it sit empty.
My place for example is about 7 hours from my home. I can do it on a three day weekend but it's still alot of driving. But it gives me 1 full day on the beach or fishing or whatever.
So just think it through that's all.
Good hunting!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-18-2007 at 05:20 AM

where do you want to be? i'd target location 1st. you like Penasco? are you aware of what's planned for puerto Libertad? check it out.
mainland or peninsula? both are on SOC.
check out Kino bay - a sleeper.
do you have family to keep track of in AZ?
driving to baja from AZ takes forever.

and remember............people buy on emotion and sell on need. = good deals abound no matter what the market, so called, is doing.
consider long term leases even if you build - just don't put your life savings into a baja paradaiso, if you lose...........you really lose.

i am in the same boat - 9 years and i become a full timer mexico resident - but i am undecided on locale even tho i have 27 years racked up traveling all over. top selections are east cape at El Rincon, La paz and San Carlos or kino bay mainland.
and if i hit the big pay day one day............Quintana Roo!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2007 at 07:31 AM

Hard to guess what the cost/availability of gas for aircraft and autos will be in the U.S./Mexico in 2017. To be a healthy gas situation I think Mexico will finally have to privatize elections and get exploration/developement help and the U.S. will have to open the Alaska oil fields and cement the plan to get Iraq's oil long term. Those are just 2 of skittyeight hundred other options for both countries -- not taking into consideration the options left to those other countries around the globe with huge reserves. Just do whatever Captain Mike does -- you'll be fine.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2007 at 08:21 AM

It is nice to live on on near the beach where you surf fish and can launch a kayak-- no gas needed. Houses are over rated too.
Becky10449

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 10:08 PM

Hi Jim,

Johnny Johnson has property for sale that is south of Loreto at El Juncalito Bay right on the beach.
He is having trouble getting on the site to respond to you. He said to email him at racetopaz@yahoo.com and he would be happy to send pictures and more info to you.

John's girlfriend,
Becky
Becky10449

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 10:51 PM

Hi Jim,
Becky again,
In fact as soon as I can sell my Aquarium Maintenance Business, I will be moving down to beautiful El Juncalito Bay myself. I love it there and can hardly wait to be there full time. You would be our neighbor. We are next door to the one that is for sale. Anyone know anyone that would like an established Aquarium Maintenance Business in San Diego County?
Help!!!!! I want to retire in Baja with John!!!!
Becky "The Guppy Girl"
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 07:19 AM

come to mulege...

just a little too far for the weekend traffic...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
roamingthroughbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 08:15 AM

Last year, we bought an isolated beachfront lot on the Sea of Cortez. It is on a beautiful sandy beach about ten km north of San Juan de la Costa, 48 km north of El Centenario where we currently live full time. (La Paz area). We paid $16000 for it and intend to let it sit for about five years until we are too crowded here in Centenario, and then move out there. It took us about a year to buy it, but it was well worth it. We are dreaming of being able to kayak and fish right from the beach.

If you don't mind being off the grid, we know of a gorgeous lot a lot closer to civilization, about 20 km north of Centenario. The owner is from the US and is asking $70,000. Who knows? In this area there may be electricity and services out that way in 10 years. Happy hunting.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 08:27 AM

You need to go and take a look at the areas you are considering. You mention Rocky Point which is far from "I'd like to find a place that is not developed at all and reasonably priced. "

There are still underdeveloped locations, both on the mainland as well as Baja California, but being underdeveloped means you have to visit to find what you are looking for. No real estate agents usually. Look South of Rocky Point or South of San Felipe. Little further and there are lots of places in BCS. Good hunting

And these places are not that far from Arizona!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 09:31 AM

Again---same advice---travel and travel some more. We didn't think we would buy a place in Baja, but suddenly we found ourselves in a place where we really wanted to be.

When you find the place, you will know it. Then and only then would I even think about buying from pictures and then only if you remember and have tons of photos of the place and know every little detail.

Good luck and remember, some areas are developing quickly, but if they are too crowded when you retire, you will probably make money on your investment.

Many years ago we thought Rocky Point was a nice little town---last time we drove there, we turned around and went home.

Diane

After thought---when reading the for sale ads, remember all the Real Estate Jargon like
Cute = small
Step-saving = tiny
view possible = yes, if you build at least three stories
view possible = yes, unles some one builds in front of you
quiet neighborhood = cemetary
family neighborhood = elementary school next door
rustic = shack
utilities possible in near future = next century
working on title = dispute is being handled in Mexico City

etc.

[Edited on 1-25-2008 by jdtrotter]

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2008 at 07:34 PM

Winthy, tell me you're not gonna search the whole history of the board for any realty talk, dredge up old posts to sell real estate. Puleeeze. Just enjoy the board, advertise where and when appropriate.
nancyinpdx
Nomad

Mood: muy eccentrica

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 03:39 AM

I, too, wanna buy a cheap vacation home on the beach and maybe retire to it later but am scared of getting fleeced. Sometimes I see cheap ones advertised on craiglist.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
To be a healthy gas situation I think Mexico will finally have to privatize elections and get exploration/developement help and the U.S. will have to open the Alaska oil fields and cement the plan to get Iraq's oil long term.

I suspect you MEANT to say privatize exploration, no? :lol:

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 08:03 AM

No, I meant let the candidates pay for the election process, not the government. Probably a bad idea though since it would spawn uber-rich candidates who might later steal more money than the hand-picked lackeys.

Hook, how did you get me to wreck this thread anyway? Sorry. Hope you find your dream. I did, in East Cape.

[Edited on 1-19-2009 by Osprey]
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 08:29 AM

Some good advice here. Another thing I like to tell folks is assume nothing, take nothing for granted. Ask, look, explore and decide for yourself. Lots of folks will tell you where you SHOULD buy but make that decision for yourself AFTER you do all your homework. This is a good time to buy as the market is soft but there are lots of opportunities and no need to rush into anything.

Good luck!

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-19-2009 at 09:42 AM

Don't forget that buying the land is only the beginning. Getting proper title set up can be difficult and don't forget the latest in Mexican government red tape - the Environmental Impact Study. Let the buyer beware !!!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.