Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I dream of beach front - buy now retire later
nancyinpdx
Nomad

Mood: muy eccentrica

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 02:25 AM

Is buying using an attorney and with a bank trust the safest way to go?
What if we live in USA and only visit Mex a few times a year?

I know we gotta study and learn a lot of stuff before we plunk down our pesos and not to risk more than we can afford to lose without hating ourselves.
I guess it would be like a trip to Las Vegas!
abreojos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 05:39 AM

Sharks swim in all waters, some disguised a real estate agents, some as your amigos. Some things to consider:
How will your purchase improve the life of the person you are buying from and keep them and their family from resorting to selling drugs or sending family members to the states for work to make up the difference? Cabo for instance has had many local land owners become very rich and has improve their lives, by selling property through a reputable real estate agency. Where as the bargain hunters usually are looking to take advantage of someone for their own benefit. Hard to believe but very true!
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 06:55 AM

Most important before you buy - do not contact people who post on this board who offer to help you find a place.

You can contact Nomads after you have done your basic shopping and ask about the background of the property, neighborhood and price.

This way you will avoid scummy predators who swim close to your bank account.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 07:31 AM

Boy , after reading all of the remarks on this post i would be afraid to buy even a taco in mexico.

Wish everyone would lighten up ...:P

Mexico is a great place to look for your property . They have laws and rules reguarding the tranfer of title . Go by the laws and rules and you should be fine.

Alot of Nomads have owned land in mexico for many years without any problems. Some have bought and resold , some have made money and some have lost money .

Just take your time , look around for the spot you like and do your homework on the paper work .

Anyone have any good things to say about their
land purchase ? ...:bounce:

I've had nothing but wonderful times working with the people involed in my land purchase.

Viva Mexico...... ligui
roamingthroughbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 07:55 AM

Yes, we have had good experiences buying land here and helped some of our friends too. We still call the man we bought our lot in Centenario from "Tio Oscar".
A couple of nights ago, we drove out to our beach lot north of San Juan de la Costa at around 4;30, got there well before dark and built a beautiful campfire, ate dinner while watching the sun go down and the stars come out, listening to the waves on the beach. Hoping to live out there sooner rather than later although we really love Centenario. One day.....

Anyway, that lot (actually two lots side by each) took us about a year to buy, but it was a great experience that really added to the learning curve. Relax and do your homework, something will come up for you.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 08:01 AM

Thanks Roaming , That's what i'm talking about !:yes:

Good friends , good life , ... alittle effort can bring good results.

God do I love Baja ! :tumble: ligui
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 09:15 AM

Went over to a local Los Barriles RV park with leased land arrangements. There were 4 situations available from a renovated beach-front park-style trailer (60,000), an older RV inside the park (38,000) or a 2-storey home with great views on tne beach for $110,000. We're stilll dreaming, but if you want the contact info, send me a U2U. The park is full of character, quiet, owner occupied and very friendly. The units include a variety of things like patio, outdoor ktichen, palapas, locked storage, etc.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
Boy , after reading all of the remarks on this post i would be afraid to buy even a taco in mexico.

Wish everyone would lighten up ...:P

Mexico is a great place to look for your property . They have laws and rules reguarding the tranfer of title . Go by the laws and rules and you should be fine.

Alot of Nomads have owned land in mexico for many years without any problems. Some have bought and resold , some have made money and some have lost money .

Just take your time , look around for the spot you like and do your homework on the paper work .

Anyone have any good things to say about their
land purchase ? ...:bounce:

I've had nothing but wonderful times working with the people involed in my land purchase.

Viva Mexico...... ligui

I concur liqui...I had a great experience purchasing my property. Very easy with no drama. I did alot of research though and years later I have no regrets. My land has appreciated nicely and it's still the only place I want to be:yes::yes::yes:
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2009 at 09:09 PM

If you like Rocky Point you will love San Felipe. We also travel from Phoenix to San Felipe and our Casa on the Playa.
Let me know if you have any questions about how to get there etc. U2U
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2009 at 05:53 PM

If you are of normal financial means (can't pay $300,000 USD or more in cash, but you can come up with $60,000 to $100,000 cash) you can get a great place just minutes away from La Paz or Loreto. YES, IT CAN BE DONE TODAY.

In Loreto, lots with city services (water, sewer, electricity, telephone, concrete sidewalks, paved streets) are expensive, they start at $80 USD per sq meter NOT ON THE WATER AND UP TO ONE MILE INLAND to up to $700 USD per sq meter for beachfront property. In La Paz, for similar inland property with most city services, you can find lots 4 to 8 miles from downtown La Paz but at least 1/4 mile inland from the water, you can get lots at $30 USD per sq meter and up.

In my view, to be tuly comfortable, you need at least 5,000 sq ft (450 sq mts). 10,000 sq ft would be better. Build a 7 or 8 ft cinder block wall all the way around the property and put barbed wire on top, concertina preferably (you cant really see it very well against a blue sky or the sun) for security and privacy. That costs about $45 to $50 USD per linear foot. Spend $4,000 to $10,000 to landscape the property (include plumbed electricity and irrigation lines) and install a nice barbecue.

Next have a house constructed 600 to 1,000 sq feet is all you need (the locals in the baja spend most of their time outside and limited time inside the house - basically the house is for sleeping, bathing, and cooking). Use simple floor plan but put plenty of airconditioning power (1 ton per 165 sq ft of living space). That is not expensive and well worth it. Use 1 to 2 ton minisplits. Also, electricity is cheap in La Paz, about $.04 to $.05 USD per KWH whereas in California, I pay $.20 per KWH. The cost for construction is around $75 per sq ft. If you are a good negotiator, you can get it even cheaper. If you are not a good negotiator, you will pay at least $85 USD per sq ft.

OK, let's see. 5,000 sq ft lot in Loreto = $40,000 USD plus closing cost. Cinder block fence = $15,000 USD. Build 900 sq ft 2 bedroom house = $70,000 USD. Landscaping = $10,000 USD. Total cost = $135,000 USD plus closing cost for a new, secure house, fully landscaped with a very private block wall fence and just 5 to 10 minutes from town. Not bad.

You can cut the cost way down by getting a slightly smaller lot, a 6 ft block wall fence and a 700 sq ft one bedroom house, and do your own landscaping, should come in at less than $100,000.

Now, if you do the same thing in La Paz, you will save even more money on the land as comparable lots in La Paz are up to 60% less in price and construction labor and materials are a little bit less expensive.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2009 at 11:33 PM

Mitchman= Pitchman
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 04:34 AM
Welcome jcorder

We too have fallen in love with Baja. My wife began coming to Mexico to visit family when she was very young. We have been coming together to Baja for 12 years. Fortunately 6 or 7 years ago she found a beautiful view lot in Centenario. We knew we would build "some day". Last week we finished getting a fence built around the lot. I don't know how many times I have taken pictures of the view from the future build site! I never tire of it and am anxious to get started. As simple as the fence was to get built, is still was like "we had started".

I don't know how many times Linda and I have gone up on the property and watched the lights come in La Paz over the bay as the sun set behind us. One day we will be sitting up on the top of the house doing the same.

From your post, I can tell that you have spent considerable time envisioning your dream.

Enjoy!

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 02:15 PM

My two cents;
If you are using it as a vacation get away, find a couple of compatible friends to share the place with. Some people tire of going down often and the place is unused and gets broken into. I have a place with two buddies and at least one of us goes there every couple of months. Once we all retire and are there more often...we'll get a new plan.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 02:32 PM

" A new plan." :yes:
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Most important before you buy - do not contact people who post on this board who offer to help you find a place.

You can contact Nomads after you have done your basic shopping and ask about the background of the property, neighborhood and price.

This way you will avoid scummy predators who swim close to your bank account.

Predator Realtor Nomads do exist? For real?

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2015 at 05:23 PM

I have a lot. nice and close to the beach in los barriles. power and water at lotline. not for sale. took two years looking to find it. good luck in your search.
loreto115

[*] posted on 11-17-2015 at 06:47 AM
Loreto View property

We have a half acre lot above Loreto with sweeping views of the Sea of Cortes and the Sierra Gigante mountains to the west. Property is fenced, serviced and provides a turn key 35 ft. 5th wheel under a 25 x 40 ft. palapa. There is an outdoor kitchen and shower. The palapa is situated near the property line allowing for a premium building site. A serviced trailer plot is also developed. Asking $88,000.00 US
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.