Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First Time Flyer to Baja
mgray
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:13 AM
First Time Flyer to Baja

So I'm finnishing up my commercial license up here in Vancouver, but still have to do my 300nm cross country. Since the weather up here is too touch n go to take time off work and wait around, I'm going to drive down to Baja for the remainder of winter. I'll do my cross country when I get back, around June, and thinking maybe extending the 300 to maybe 1000 and go to Baja.

Totaly new to Baja, and since I'm driving down, I'm thinking I'll ask here first and see if there are any airports worth checking out, or maps to pick up while I'm down there.

Also are there any good sites to check out to find out more info, as in Regulation differences, how to obtain weather etc....

Thanks
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:21 AM

all you need to do is join the www.bajabushpilots.com
get involved with their on line forums, procure their guides and maps and go for it!!

oh, and meet some really great guys/gals on any of their group trips.

don't even THINK of doing baja by air without the support of the BBP, especially as a newbie. there are pitfalls a plenty - and the scenery changes often, not talking topographically here - politically. i have watched it evolve forwards and backwards both in 27 years of flying 100% of the peninsula!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 01:02 PM

The #1 issue to me is fuel availibilty. You're going to need a plane with really good range.
I haven't flown down there for a while but there was more fuel locations before.
Now there is nothing between Ensenda/San Felipe and Loreto.
There was fuel at GN and Mulege in the past.
Ofcourse the is always auto fuel is you have an STC.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 04:44 PM

Hey, would you be interested in spliting the cost of a rental aircraft. I know a good place to rent.
Do you have any C-182 or PA32-300(excellent baja plane!) time. An instrument rating?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2007 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
all you need to do is join the www.bajabushpilots.com
get involved with their on line forums, procure their guides and maps and go for it!!

oh, and meet some really great guys/gals on any of their group trips.

don't even THINK of doing baja by air without the support of the BBP, especially as a newbie. there are pitfalls a plenty - and the scenery changes often, not talking topographically here - politically. i have watched it evolve forwards and backwards both in 27 years of flying 100% of the peninsula!!

Don't listen to Mike, he tells everybody that. Just point 'er south and use someone elses airplane.;D

Fly low, land on roads.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2007 at 12:45 PM

mANY GOOD SUGGESTIONS!! But First things First. The BBP is the very best place for rules, regs, and uptodate info on Fuel. But they do have some limitations as I have stated before. They are a GROUP OF PILOTS and as they have progressed they have lost that Personal Touch.
If you are going to Fly to Baja: PART1
Learn Slang Spanish at Least.
Take that 182 and Find a good Dirt Strip. Take a can of yellow Paint and mark off several lankings and takeoffs. Then practive and see where you are depending on Load, Wind, and Ground Condition.
My preference on take off is always as a Taildragger;

Next: Buy "Exploring the Monster" writtin by Bob Symons Daughter and Wife Pat Rowbottom. Be Aware of the Winds from the West over the Mountains.

Take the AAA Map I am going to send you, a Current Chart, Shut off all Radios except the Emergency and Fly by Dead Reckoning!!!

After crossing the Border at Mexicali, stop at San Felipie for a Look See, then Stop at Bay of Los Angeles, Check Fuel, Take a Look at Sta Rosalilla{ Do not attempt a Landing if the Wind is Crossways of 30 Knots{Did that one day in my 170 and had to have two guys hold the Wings down so I could taxi to Tie Down.}

As you contiune South go inland an check an see if the Long Runway to the East of Mulege could be used in a Emergency. I used the Hotel Mulege Runwasy fro several years but feel sure it may not be in use anymore, Capt. Mike I am sure could answer that >

Serinadad at Mulege is a Great Strip; It is also the location for most of the Bangher Accidents caused from a Large influx of Southern Calif. Pilots for many years due to the Saturday Night "Pig Roasts".When there is a large Group there it sometimes gets Hairy due tho the intake of Booze.

From there south to Loreto is a very good short Trip Stay close in and you can check out the Small Strip at San Nicolas which has been closed by the Feds, in an emergency you could get in there off to one side and miss the Piles of Rock, also due West to the Hwy there is a long Runwasy where the old Road use to cut off to San Nicolas, you could also get in there using the side in case of Emergency. If you go out over the Rancho San Juan Area you will see where in the Past there has been Fields of Vegitation, there are several Places where you could put down if necessary.
On to Loreto where it is an Internatioal Type Airport,

Next time will take you South to La Paz and Cabo Pulmo> zI have not been to Cabo San Lucas in 20 years and Will not go Back.

Skeet/Loreto
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2007 at 02:08 AM

The Baja Bush Pilots lay things out for you. But it isn't terribly difficult. The biggest reasons to belong to the organization is for it's advocacy efforts, and insurance policies. I flew Mexico and Central america for years before I knew they existed.

As previously stated here a lot of the runways along the penninsula have been closed over the years. This is the case all over latin america. The thinking is that the less runways that are available, the less aerial drug trafficking will take place. I think we have all seen how that logic has worked out. The places that are still legal to land can not sell you 100ll gasoline, unless it is a paved, controlled and monitored airport. Even in these places, fuel availablity can be inconsistent. So long range tanks, and proper planning are in order. Winds add to the problem, obviously. Navigating couldn't be easier. If you are flying low, which side of the airplane is the water on, you get the idea.
The 182 is a very good Baja plane esp. the early ones that can run on auto fuel (readily available by comparison). Just get your A.R.O.W docs ready and paper work in order, and get after it.
If you need any help you can send me a message.
Good luck and safe Journey

Fly low, land on roads.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-21-2007 at 07:04 AM

Cap has it down. we just got here yesterday a directo de phx.
once again, flying to baja is the best it can get respective to use of your plane.

skeet - did you mean san bruno? palo verdes strip? yeah its long and paved with soldiers.

and the old hotel mulege strip north side of the river is long closed. and man that would have been a tail dragger strip for sure!
but the serenidad strip, code name "el gallito" is in fantastic shape. i love landing here you can practice any type of landing you want - short field, soft field, combos, go arounds if no one in the area, dragging practice, dog clearing, spot landings, flour bombing, down and dirty slow flight..........the sky's the limit!

coffee time.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.