Author: Subject: Baja 1000 Telecast
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 12-27-2007 at 07:51 PM
Baja 1000 Telecast

December 27, 2007

NBC telecast of massive 40th Tecate SCORE Baja 1000

Set to air nationally on Sunday at 3 p.m. Eastern time

LOS ANGELES—The recent 40th annual Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 desert race will be telecast nationally as a one-hour sports special at 3 p.m. (EST) Sunday on NBC.

In an yet another impressive display of power and poise, American Honda motorcycle teammates Robby Bell, Steve Hengeveld, Johnny Campbell and Kendall Norman along with the team of Mark Post/Rob MacCachren/Carl Renezeder posted the overall motorcycle and 4-wheel victories early Wednesday to lead the field.

The granddaddy of all desert races, the flagship event of the world’s foremost desert racing series was a rugged peninsula odyssey of 1,296.39 miles from Ensenada in Baja California to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, Baja California Sur.

The telecast will mark the fourth consecutive year that the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 is televised nationally by NBC. The race will be shown across the globe starting in January on ESPN International. In association with NBC TV, the race was co-produced by Aura360, the SCORE electronic media partner.

Noted NBC sportscaster Bill Weber will be the anchor announcer for the telecast.

The near race-record 424 starters from a SCORE-record 44 U.S. States and a SCORE-record 20 countries, represented the second largest field in the history of the desert classic. They competed in 28 Pro and 6 Sportsman classes for cars, trucks, motorcycles and ATVs. The race was the season finale of the six-race 2007 SCORE Desert Series, the world’s foremost desert racing series.

Mexico tourism officials estimated record crowds of nearly 350,000 spread out along the course from Ensenada down both sides of the Baja California peninsula to Cabo San Lucas.

First to cross the finish line in the elapsed-time race was the No. 1 Honda CRF450X of Bell/Hengeveld/Campbell/Norman, who methodically marched down the grueling course to an overall winning time of 24 hours, 15 minutes, 50 seconds. Bell, as rider of record took the green flag in Ensenada followed by Norman, Campbell and Hengeveld captured the checkered flag, after riding for most of the night portion of the race. The team average speed over the tougher-than-usual course was 53.43 miles per hour.

While the American Honda teammates rode the fastest vehicle in the demanding race, Post, San Juan Capistrano, Calif./MacCachren, Las Vegas and Renezeder, Laguna Beach, Calif., split driving in the No. 3 Riviera Ford F-150 won the featured SCORE Trophy-Truck division, leading all four-wheel vehicles to the finish line by covering the extremely demanding course in 25:21:25, with an average speed of 51.13mph.

Winning the unlimited Class 1 for an amazing fourth straight year Larry Roeseler, Hesperia, Calif. and Las Vegas’ Troy Herbst were third overall 4-wheel finishers with a class-winning time of 26:30:10 in the Terrible Herbst Motorsports Ford-powered Smithbuilt desert race car. In earning a SCORE record 23rd race win since 1997, the remarkable open-wheel race car will be retired to permanent display at the Terrible Herbst Race Shop in Huntington Beach, Calif.

Roeseler’s 16th class win in the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 moved to second by himself on the all-time class win list in this race. Troy Herbst now has six career class wins in this race.

Giving Honda its 11th consecutive victory and 18th total overall win in this desert racing classic, Hengeveld, Oak Hills, Calif., earned his 10th class win including seven Overall motorcycle titles and extended his winning streak to six Bell, Murrieta, Calif., earned his first class win in this race, Campbell, San Clemente, Calif., won his 10th overall motorcycle crown while Norman picked up his second.

The near race-record 424 starters was second-only to last year’s 431. The SCORE record of 237 finishers broke the race-record of 234 set in this race last year. The finishing percentage this year was an impressive 56.4 percent.

For more information on SCORE International and the SCORE Desert Series, visit www.score-international.com.

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 07:36 AM

think this will repeat? i don't know if i can watch it here in mulege.

if anyone tapes it i'll pay for a copy, DVD.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 08:19 AM

The SCORE website store will have a DVD for sell soon. That's how I've been getting the SCORE races the past several years. I'll be on my way to San Felipe Sun and will miss it.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 08:37 AM
Race time

11:00 a.m. Sunday on KNBC (4) Los Angeles.

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 08:39 AM

How about a San Diego station time? Thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

San Diego, 11:00 am, KNSD Channel 39.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wornout
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

San Diego, 11:00 am, KNSD Channel 39.

Thanks! That's cable Ch. 7 for most on cable I think. Since the final regular season Chargers Vs. Raiders game doesn't start until 1:15pm that will work out great!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajadedom
Nomad

Mood: Ready for a change of latitude...

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 10:36 AM

Baja 1000, Chargers whooping Raiders....I guess all that's left to hit the trifecta today is ....BEER...:lol:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 08:46 AM
Now on DVD

2007 SCORE BAJA 1000 DVD RELEASED

THE OFFICIAL DVD SPECIAL WITH BEHIND THE SCENES FEATURES AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT WWW.THEBAJAUNLIMITED.COM

PORTLAND, Maine, January 4, 2008--- SCORE International and Aura360 have announced the release of the official 2007 SCORE Baja 1000 DVD.

Hosted by veteran broadcaster Bill Weber and comprised of a near-record field battling almost 1300 miles of unforgiving desert terrain, the DVD captures the most exciting moments of the massive 40th running of the SCORE Baja 1000.
The DVD also includes bonus features including behind-the-scenes action and interviews.

The DVD can be purchased at the online store on http://www.thebajaunlimited.com/ for $24.95.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 08:54 AM

Saw the show ...it was ..."OK"....would not buy the DVD....(or want to watch it again)......
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 09:23 AM

I agree with Jim... the race is far too big to cover in the time of the show.

'Dust to Glory' did a much better job with the 2003 1000 if you want to get some idea of what the racers experience and the different classes in the race.

Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 09:37 AM
I agree,

Didn't think they did a very good job on this one. Dust to glory was great. That was worth watching,k:yes:

[Edited on 1-5-2008 by Keri]

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 10:55 AM

A one hour TV show is about 40 to 45 minutes of actual content with the rest being commericals, promos, PSAs etc. The DVD is usually a full hour with out takes from behind the scenes as a side feature. I have DVDs of many of the last everal years of SCORE Baja races and the only one I was disappointed with was either the 2004 or 2006 1000 to La Paz, I don't remember which. The ending was rather lame, not much in the way of finish line stuff. The 2007 500 race was really good, it showed several motorcycle wrecks.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 11:20 AM

I got the DVD this week and have watched it twice. Same length as the TV telecast, I think 43 min. It has some other footage as well, I haven't seen them all yet. I thought it was a pretty good show. I liked the announcers voice, alive not boring. Whoever mixed the sound could have done a better job because the announcers voice was louder than the racers when they talked. On some I had to turn the TV sound up to hear what they were saying clearly. Maybe it's my age and my hearing isn't so good.

I especiall liked the ending with Tim Morton and his family. Probably because he's a friend of mine and he got 2nd overall on the bikes.
bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 04:29 PM

If you want to see more of the baja 1000 action, get a copy of Cactus Video Baja 1000. Lots of footage from all down the course. Incar footage, and footage from a couple of bad traps!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 06:27 PM

["Cactus Video Baja 1000"]

Is it sold thru an internet outlet or just at the races?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.