Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Breakfast Coffee Cakes
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 01:11 PM
Baja Breakfast Coffee Cakes

My Motorhome has a convection oven...not great for cooking on a beach as the genset has to run longer then I want.
This has lead me to try and cook everything on the cooktop.
At my age frying everything is not an option. I have had to learn a new skill set to eat on the road. It has come down to boil, fry, or BBQ...
Coffee and a coffee cake is My favorite, but found they don't stick around long enough.
This coffee cake is quick as pancakes and filling as oatmeal and toast.
Proportions can be varied as I have tried several different ways and tend to over-do.
This is intended to be as healthy as can be for us old folks....

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup cheap quick cooking oats. Cheap seems to cook faster...
1 cup flour
1/2 cup Splenda or 2 tablespoons Brown sugar if you gotta do that kind of thing...chips and fruit, make it sweet
3 teaspoons of baking power
1 1/2 cup soy milk regular milk if you are not ancient like me. (water good too)
3 egg whites...if you use milk carton eggs as I do = 6 ozs.
1/2 cup sunmaid mixed fruits bits or any dried fruit chopped in 1/2"+- squares
1/2 cup +/- peanut butter chips...mixed peanut butter and chocolate works too.
1/2 cup quartered pecan halves....optional
Mix well all dry ingredients...then add soy milk and eggs let stand 5 minutes or until moisture is soaked in.
Use large skillet with a Pam coating...
make one heaping tablespoon piles...do not flatten, but symmetrical.
Should give you 3" + cakes.
Cook on low heat until outside edges start to dry...turn and cook until just brown.
cool a few minutes and I bet you can't eat just one.
Should make 18- 3" cakes +-

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 01:53 PM

Sounds tastey Albert but, dont you think a cup of Pacifico would enhance the flavor?
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 05:37 PM

What was I thinking....:o Have to make another batch now:lol: oops...got go to the store...not for Pacifico, but Fake eggs:lol:
WoW gotta try them with wine too:biggrin:
My all time favorite is reeses peanut butter cups and merlot wine...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 06:29 PM

Get rid of the Splenda. That stuff will kill you.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
My all time favorite is reeses peanut butter cups and merlot wine...

Al....You are my hero.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2008 at 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Get rid of the Splenda. That stuff will kill you.

Considering how extremely destructive sugar is to the health of older people and how many diabetics died from sugar...I am surprised at your stance.
I did my research prior to using Splenda...as I did with aspartame and that other junk saccharine.
Of the four there is no doubt that sugar has killed more people, through diabeties, then the rest combined.

Splenda is made from sucrose molecules with calories molecules removed...adding 3 chlorine molecules. I did not say they added Chlorine...only 3 molecules. Considering Chlorine is used extensively in our water supply on a daily bases...damn I add it with every tank of water in my motorhome:lol:
1) There is not one shread of evidence that it is harmful to you...as stated at the sugar consul board...damn they admit it! What they say, is there has not been long term test...10 years not good enough...they want generations:lol::lol:of course they do...their pockets are getting lighter like the tobacco companies are.
Sugar sucks...:lol:

Tell me does this sound like a whinning kid that got beatup at school:lol::lol::lol:.....

Fiction: Splenda is natural sugar without calories.

Fact: Johnson & Johnson claims that "Splenda is made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar". Johnson & Johnson wants consumers to think that it is natural sugar without calories. The truth is that Splenda is not natural and does not taste like sugar. The sweetness of Splenda derives from a chlorocarbon chemical that contains three atoms of chlorine in every one of its molecules. The manufacturer of this chlorinated compound named it sucralose. The improper use of “ose” in the name creates the illusion that sucralose is natural like sucrose which is the precise name for table sugar. Johnson & Johnson wants consumers to believe that the taste of Splenda is due solely to natural sugar, that is, due to sucrose. However, the manufacturer has patented several chemical processes for making the chlorinated chemical compound it calls sucralose. The patent literature illustrates that sucralose can be chemically manufactured from starting materials that do not require natural sugar. In one patent, for example, the manufacturer constructs sucralose from raffinose by substituting atoms of chlorine for hydroxyl groups in raffinose. Raffinose is a molecule found naturally in beans, and onions and other plants, but unlike natural sucrose, it has very little taste. In another patented process three atoms of chlorine are substituted for three hydroxyl groups in sucrose. The end product of both of these manufacturing processes is an entirely new chlorocarbon chemical called sucralose. Each molecule of sucralose contains three atoms of chlorine which makes it 600 times sweeter than a natural molecule of sugar which contains no chlorine. Splenda has it’s own artificial taste which is due to this chlorinated compound.

Fiction: Splenda is safe to eat, even for children.

Fact: There are no conclusive tests that support this statement. Again, there have been no long-term human studies conducted to determine the potential health effects of Splenda on humans, including children.

Until long-term human studies are conducted, no one will know for sure whether Splenda is really safe or unsafe for humans to eat.

Fiction: Splenda has been thoroughly tested.

Fact: There has not been a single long-term human study to determine the potential health effects of Splenda on people. The FDA relied on a few short-term tests when it reviewed the safety of Splenda for human consumption. Worse, these human tests were all conducted by the manufacturer of Splenda, hardly an unbiased source. The vast majority of tests reviewed by the FDA to determine whether Splenda was safe for human consumption were conducted on animals, including rats and rabbits.

Fiction: Products made with Splenda do not need warning labels.

Fact: Splenda is found in nearly 3,500 food products and amazingly, not all of these products list Splenda as an ingredient, and none of them say the product contains chlorine. Furthermore, none of the regulatory agencies or scientific review bodies that have confirmed the safety of sucralose require any warning information to be placed on the labels of products sweetened with sucralose.

Consumers have a right to know exactly what is contained in the food products they buy for themselves and, particularly, for their children. Consumers should be provided with information that allows them to make educated choices about the food products they include in their diets. This is especially true for products that contain Splenda, a chemical substance made with chlorine that has not been the subject of any long-term human studies to determine its health effects on the human body.

Fiction: Once eaten, Splenda simply passes through the body.

Fact: This is what the manufacturer of Splenda claims, and consumers who realize they are actually eating chlorine may hope it is true, but the FDA determined that as much as 27% of sucralose can be absorbed by the body. This is particularly alarming for a chemical substance containing chlorine. Clearly the makers of Splenda are not being entirely forthcoming about their product's influence in the body.

Fiction: The chlorine found in Splenda is similar to that found in other foods we eat.

Fact: The manufacturer of Splenda claims that chlorine is naturally present in such foods as lettuce, mushrooms and table salt, but they never directly state that eating Splenda is the same as eating these foods. Remember, Splenda is not a natural substance, it is an artificial chemical sweetener manufactured by adding three chlorine atoms to a sugar molecule. And again, because there have been no long-term human studies on Splenda to determine the potential health effects on people, no one can say with certainty that the substance is safe to eat.

Fiction: Consumers have every reason to believe what they see and hear in Splenda’s advertisements.

Fact: In an effort to convince consumers that “Splenda is made from sugar, so it tastes like sugar” and to encourage them to “Think sugar, say Splenda”, the giant drug manufacturer Johnson & Johnson is running a multi-million dollar advertising campaign encouraging the misperception that their artificial sweetener is equivalent to all-natural sugar. Splenda is not sugar and is not natural.

Splenda’s advertisements that read “The Dance of the Splenda Plum Fairy,” “Splenda and Spice and Everything Nice,” and “Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Splenda is Sweet and So Are You” have been characterized by one marketing ethics reporter as nothing but “sleight-of-hand marketing.” Despite all the slick Madison Avenue advertising, the fact remains that Splenda is actually a chemical compound that contains chlorine. The more chlorine atoms, the sweeter the taste. Consumers deserve to know the truth about the food products they are purchasing for themselves and their families.

Albert G

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 06:28 AM

what are peanut butter chips?:?:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
what are peanut butter chips?:?:

I think it's Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Godiva for the working man.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 07:52 AM

Al
All I can say is I dont have a microwave.
I dont eat margarine
I dont eat Splenda
I dont drink diet anything.
I have one teaspoon of sugar everyday in my coffee.

I am not diabetic, although my mother and father were
I dont have high blood pressure
I am not on any prescription drugs.

I dont think it irresponsible to suggest that you dont eat something that is made by chemical processes that include chlorine.
But then I am an old hippie.

OOPS...I forgot...I dont drink water with chlorine in it...yuck

[Edited on 1-4-2008 by bajajudy]

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Al
All I can say is I dont have a microwave.
I dont eat margarine
I dont eat Splenda
I dont drink diet anything.
I have one teaspoon of sugar everyday in my coffee.

I am not diabetic, although my mother and father were
I dont have high blood pressure
I am not on any prescription drugs.

I dont think it irresponsible to suggest that you dont eat something that is made by chemical processes that include chlorine.
But then I am an old hippie.

[Edited on 1-4-2008 by bajajudy]

Judy...I hope you are not taking this personally and I think the subject is interesting...it is too funny..I am hi-jacking my own thread:lol:
First, 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 150-190 and heart complications....:o and 194 Cholesterol
I have a drug store in my cabinet... 14 pills a day:o
I stopped drinking white death...milk.
I stopped eating yellow death...butter
I stopped eating egg yokes
I stopped eating sugar...never ate a lot anyway.
Been using splenda since introduced...Aspartame before that.
I stopped eating red meat...an occasional steak. No pork at all...
I could not drink a sugar soda if I was dieing...been drinking diet soda for 40 years+-...the most likely reason I don't have Diabetes
:PJust came from a full diagnosis...I now have the blood work of a 30 year old...nuclear stress test showed the minor plug in my right lower ventricle has cleared...Cholesterol is now completely normal.
My only problem is 35 pounds over weight...that is spelled Pacifico....:lol::lol::lol:
That is the reason my doctor wants me to continue with 3 of my pills for Cholesterol and blood pressure. They are only precautions...my blood pressure is under 120.
OOPS...I forgot...I don't drink water with chlorine in it...yuck
I take it you don't drink bottle water in Baja...it all has chlorine in it and most all public water is treated with chlorine in Baja now.....:?:

I hope nobody gets real upset about this, but...."old school" has been killing good people for centuries. Beef is the second worst air polluter in the world...Milk is pure animal FAT...the #1 cause of obisity in children. sugar is the # 1 cause of Diabetes...While I can understand the fear of the unknown...I just wonder why people do not have fear of the known...most destructive...products???
Sugar
Milk
Red meat
Butter
:(:(:(:(
I don't know how many years I will live...I am betting it will be alot longer then someone who is old school...consuming, what they know is bad for them.
No bad feelings intended:saint:

Albert G

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 12:07 PM

You go, Al
I am happy that you are healthy living the lifestyle that you have chosen
I wish that for all of us. I just choose a different way of going at it. old school...I dont think that really fits my lifestyle. Moderation is a better word. we are only talking about food and water, right?:lol:

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 12:09 PM

We both high jacked your thread.
I really like the idea of cooking anything on the stove top as that is all we have in our camper.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 12:37 PM

I too work hard at Moderation now...except Pacifico...:lol:

Cap Mike...you have heard of chocolate chip cookies right...well they make them with peanut butter too.:biggrin:

Albert G

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 01:11 PM

Quote:

Good for you, Judy. You know what everybody does in the pool.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Holy Mackerel...that was a left turn with no signal....:lol::lol:

Albert G

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 10:32 PM
Baja Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

1 jar of Peanut Butter
1 jar of Jelly (Your choice of flavor)
Small loaf of bread
Spreading knife
Knapkins for spills
Bag
Car

Place peanut butter, jelly, bread, and knapkins in bag.
Put bag in car.
Drive car across border from U.S. into Baja, Mexico.
Once in Baja, Mexico pull over and park on the side of the road.
Open jars and spread peanut butter and jelly on two slices of bread.
Make bread slices into sandwich and proceed to eat.
Enjoy!:lol:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ElFaro
1 jar of Peanut Butter
1 jar of Jelly (Your choice of flavor)
Small loaf of bread
Spreading knife
Knapkins for spills
Bag
Car

Place peanut butter, jelly, bread, and knapkins in bag.
Put bag in car.
Drive car across border from U.S. into Baja, Mexico.
Once in Baja, Mexico pull over and park on the side of the road.
Open jars and spread peanut butter and jelly on two slices of bread.
Make bread slices into sandwich and proceed to eat.
Enjoy!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
We all have our limits...

Albert G

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Holy Mackerel...that was a left turn with no signal....:lol::lol:

Let's hijack this a bit farther...

Back home, my cousin Eustace was once banned from the town Rec center for peeing in the pool. "But everybody pees in the pool!" he protested. "Maybe so", they said, "But not while standing on the diving board."

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 02:26 PM

Good one Oso:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Albert G

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2008 at 04:00 PM

Al - I have an excellent alternative to sugar for you that is not bad for your body like that icky Splenda stuff. Go to your local nursery and buy a small plant of the herb called stevia. Grow it in a small plastic pot in the window of that motor home.

Stevia has been used safely in South America for centuries. It is 100 times sweeter than sugar, has no calories... and research suggests it may help lower one's blood sugar, thereby making it a good item for diabetics.

I know you can find this at your local nursery, as you do not live that far from me. Call a couple places to check on it... could save your life.;):yes::dudette:

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.