Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sport or .....???
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 09:39 AM
Sport or .....???

I am curious to know what most of you Nomads consider a sport. Growing up, I participated in many different sports. I always was under the impression that sports demanded a certain amount of strenght, agility and fortitude to be called a sport. As, for example, track and field, gymnastics, tennis, soccer, football, baseball, and the like. Than somehow golf entered the field. Not a sport to me. Many golfers take their physical shape serious these days, but there are still serious shapeless individuals participating. Laura Davis, Meg Mellon, Tim Herron come to mind. Not to mention the countless fat individuals you can find daily on the country's courses, using carts to carry their lard around. Sport ???
And then, should car racing and rallying be considered a sport ? On most of the sport channels on the Tube nowadays we are fed the poker championships. Is that a sport ? Where do we draw the line, if we were inclined to draw one ?

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 10:00 AM

I would define 'sport' as any activity that draws both participants and spectators.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I would define 'sport' as any activity that draws both participants and spectators.

Like amateur night at the strip joint?

I think the world is run by C- students.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Like amateur night at the strip joint?

As in "sportin' ladies":biggrin:
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 10:13 AM

Sport...competitive fun...why would you want to make a distinction?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 11:00 AM

What is Hemingway's "there are only three sports" quote?

Answer "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

This is one in a long list of quotations mysteriously attributed to Ernest Hemingway. While the general public seem to agree that this is in fact a Hemingway quotation, scholars have some reservations and for good reason. The early Hemingway did not believe that bullfighting was a sport. For him it was a tragedy. See his October 20, 1923 article titled "Bullfighting A Tragedy" reprinted in By-Line: Ernest Hemingway Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades edited by William White. Hemingway reiterates his beliefs regarding the tragedy of bullfighting in his 1932 book, Death in the Afternoon.

In July of 2006, Gerald Roush, a visitor to Timeless Hemingway, provided a possible source for the "three sports" quotation. He cited a story titled "Blood Sport" by Ken Purdy, which originally appeared in the July 27, 1957 edition of the Saturday Evening Post. The story is reprinted in Ken Purdy's Book of Automobiles (1972). Gerald provided a scan of where the quotation appeared and it reads as follows: " 'There are three sports,' she remembered Helmut Ovden saying. 'Bullfighting, motor racing, mountain climbing. All the rest are recreations.' " Gerald noted that the character of Helmut Ovden is modelled after Ernest Hemingway. This could explain why the quote has been so widely attributed to Hemingway over the years.

In May of 2007, Rocky Entriken wrote to Timeless Hemingway with another possible author of the "three sports" quotation:

"As I am told, the quote belongs to Barnaby Conrad, a writer of the same era as Hemingway and a San Francisco raconteur of some note. Mostly he did magazine articles but his books include The Death of Manolete. My source is Dan Gerber, yet another writer of the era."

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
K31

Mood: Wish I was lost in BAja

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 11:03 AM

whatever makes you sweaty and huffn and puffn..:bounce:
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 11:05 AM

I do not know if golf is really a sport but just know that I carry my Lard around in a golf cart when I can get out and play. :lol:

Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 11:05 AM

I think the best sport I knew was the girl next door when I was growing up.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by K31

Reminds me of sex...is that competitive fun???:biggrin:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

Answer "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."

This is one in a long list of quotations mysteriously attributed to Ernest Hemingway. While the general public seem to agree that this is in fact a Hemingway quotation, scholars have some reservations and for good reason. The early Hemingway did not believe that bullfighting was a sport. For him it was a tragedy. See his October 20, 1923 article titled "Bullfighting A Tragedy" reprinted in By-Line: Ernest Hemingway Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades edited by William White. Hemingway reiterates his beliefs regarding the tragedy of bullfighting in his 1932 book, Death in the Afternoon.

In July of 2006, Gerald Roush, a visitor to Timeless Hemingway, provided a possible source for the "three sports" quotation. He cited a story titled "Blood Sport" by Ken Purdy, which originally appeared in the July 27, 1957 edition of the Saturday Evening Post. The story is reprinted in Ken Purdy's Book of Automobiles (1972). Gerald provided a scan of where the quotation appeared and it reads as follows: " 'There are three sports,' she remembered Helmut Ovden saying. 'Bullfighting, motor racing, mountain climbing. All the rest are recreations.' " Gerald noted that the character of Helmut Ovden is modelled after Ernest Hemingway. This could explain why the quote has been so widely attributed to Hemingway over the years.

In May of 2007, Rocky Entriken wrote to Timeless Hemingway with another possible author of the "three sports" quotation:

"As I am told, the quote belongs to Barnaby Conrad, a writer of the same era as Hemingway and a San Francisco raconteur of some note. Mostly he did magazine articles but his books include The Death of Manolete. My source is Dan Gerber, yet another writer of the era."

Oso, in "Death in the Afternoon" Hemingway devoted a huge amount of space to argue that bullfighting is a spectacle and not a sport.

++Ken++
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 12:02 PM

From Wikipedia:

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

[Edited on 1-6-2008 by Ken Bondy]
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy

equipment quality are major factors.

Which brings us back to amateur night.

I think the world is run by C- students.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 03:10 PM

What about World Series of Poker????
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

Oso, in "Death in the Afternoon" Hemingway devoted a huge amount of space to argue that bullfighting is a spectacle and not a sport.

++Ken++

I agree, and my post points out that Papa never said it was a sport. I am somewhat of an aficionado of the fiesta taurina but I don't think of it as a sport and I don't like the English term "bullfighting". The matador (literally "killer") does not "fight" the bull. Unfortunately there is no really adequate translation for "Lidiar". Spectacle maybe, drama certainly, sacrificial rite oerhaps, test of courage definitely, reenactment of the primordial contest of brain over brawn, the necessary treachery of human intelligence over fang, claw or horn of bigger animals. The only similarity I see between the faena and NASCAR is that many "fans" go in hopes of seeing someone die.

BTW, if I did not feel a certain sympathy for the bull, I would not be human. Still, I am drawn to the "spectacle" in a way I don't completely understand.

[Edited on 1-6-2008 by Oso]

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by K31

Reminds me of sex...is that competitive fun???:biggrin:

In high school in Maryland, some of the guys would cruise 7th St. in D.C. on the weekend evenings where we would be asked: "You gents sportin' tonight?"

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

I agree, and my post points out that Papa never said it was a sport. I am somewhat of an aficionado of the fiesta taurina but I don't think of it as a sport and I don't like the English term "bullfighting". The matador (literally "killer") does not "fight" the bull. Unfortunately there is no really adequate translation for "Lidiar". Spectacle maybe, drama certainly, sacrificial rite oerhaps, test of courage definitely, reenactment of the primordial contest of brain over brawn, the necessary treachery of human intelligence over fang, claw or horn of bigger animals. The only similarity I see between the faena and NASCAR is that many "fans" go in hopes of seeing someone die.

BTW, if I did not feel a certain sympathy for the bull, I would not be human. Still, I am drawn to the "spectacle" in a way I don't completely understand.

[Edited on 1-6-2008 by Oso]

I should have pointed out that my comment was intended to amplify your statement about Papa. I know what you mean about La Corrida, I wrote this somewhere:

I think I was a Mexican in another life. I have a strangely powerful attraction for Mexico and all things Latin. The attraction is particularly strong for that part of Mexico known as Baja California. Perhaps it was just proximity; I grew up in the Los Angeles area, less than 200 miles from the Mexican border. I can’t remember exactly how I got interested in Baja (the other life, maybe?) but I started going to Tijuana shortly after high school. I am uncomfortable admitting this, but one of the initial attractions I had to Latin culture was bullfighting. I was a huge Hemingway fan and “Death in the Afternoon” was a strong influence. The Latin pageantry, the whole spectacle of the Tijuana “Bullring by the Sea” grabbed me—but eventually the brutality and cruelty of the “corrida” outweighed the fun parts of the afternoon and I lost interest. I do remember loving the cultural shock of crossing the border, the mostly friendly chaos of the Tijuana streets, the drive out Calle Segunda to Playas de Tijuana, the colors, the smells of the mesquite fires. It was amazing that everything could be that different by just passing a few feet over some imaginary line. It was an attraction for me that would last a lifetime.

++Ken++
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 05:53 PM

"The only similarity I see between the faena and NASCAR is that many "fans" go in hopes of seeing someone die."
Interesting analysis, but just not true...true many fans go to see spectacular wreaks and often get their fill. When tragedy strikes, a sickness spreads over the fans like a black plague and the closer you are to the racing family involved the deeper and longer it last.
It is also true there are some really sick people in the world and no sport is immune from them.
NASCAR fans are well aware of the many safety measures in race cars today and do not expect major injury. I raced 7 years NASCAR late model...in the early 70's and the cars were safe enough then, that I think I was the worst injury with two sprung ankles:lol:...one fan was injured enough to go to the Hospital for x rays....the starter got knocked off his perch and was off for a couple weeks...

As just a thought on bullfighting...the closest similarity to it is a staged wrestling match...except the blood is real:(:(:(

Albert G

bajadedom
Nomad

Mood: Ready for a change of latitude...

[*] posted on 1-6-2008 at 07:01 PM

ESPN = Exclusively Sports Programming Network.....
If its on - it must be Sport??
Maybe all sport should require an adjective.....
Competitive Sport
Recreational Sport
Firearm Sport
Psycholigical Sport
Automotive Sport
I figure if its competition it is a FORM of sport.....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.