Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chapultepec Mordida Donut Shake Down
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 07:29 PM
Chapultepec Mordida Donut Shake Down

The Policia mordida donut shake down was a wash last Sunday morning as Dern and I were heading for the border at 6am. We had just listened to the Mexican National Anthem on the radio. It was still very dark and raining pretty good as we passed through Chapultepec.

On the right side of the road we both saw the Police car at the Pemex station, just to the north of the Estero Beach turn off. At the same time each of us said to the other, something related to the fact that what did you want to bet that we are going to be lit up.

Like magic, as if they could read our minds, the lights on the top of the cruiser were flashed to work while still in the driveway. We passed by, doing between 35 – 40 mph while trying to do our best to see the road between the windshield wipers and darkness.

We were a big, red F350 Diesel gringo target.

Dern continued driving while the police managed to pass a few local cars and pulled up behind us. When they finally used the siren horn we figured they weren’t going to give up and go away. I pointed out a well lit AM/PM Pemex just south of the military base where Dern pulled to a stop.

He left the truck running, still in drive, as one officer approached his window. Dern rolled it down about 4 inches. I was waiting for him to press his license up to the window and talk with his mouth smashed to the glass, but he didn’t humor me this time.

The officer said, “Velocidad.”

Dern said, “No way” as he pointed to the speedometer. “Sesenta kilometers.”

Our Spanish was not quite turned on yet. It had been a long night without much sleep. We woke to a dark, rainy, we-have-to-go-north-and-don’t-want-to, 12 hr. drive ahead of us in a storm - attitude and not in the mood for a shake down.

While Dern was dealing with Mr. Speed on his side, another officer walked up to my window. I rolled it down all the way as he shined his flashlight into my face. He did the head nod – eye brow raising thing where the chin tips up shortly and stays there for a second. That’s all it took.

I said, “If you’re going to write me a ticket, do it now. I have to go north and am NOT in the mood to fuss with you and we’re NOT paying you here.”

There was a long pause on both sides of our truck.

In English my officer replied, “Ok, never mind.” And they both retreated to their cruiser.

Dern pulled back onto the highway as they flipped a U turn, heading south again with their lights still flashing.

Karma must have been on our side as we crossed at Otay Mesa at 8:00 am, taking only 5 minutes.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 07:36 PM

I love happy endings!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 07:45 PM

EEEEHAAWWWW....I can see the headlines now..."BIG BALLS ROLL OVER ENSENADA'S FINEST."
Good for you guys. I'll buy you a beer when you get back.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 07:50 PM

Me thinks Ensenada and Chapultapec police are much more civil than TJ police!

And by the by, a post from early this AM, which has now been "offed", posted on behalf of a banned former Nomad, had at least one total lie about his travel companions being pulled over in TJ. They say, NO, that did not happen.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Dern rolled it down about 4 inches. I was waiting for him to press his license up to the window and talk with his mouth smashed to the glass, but he didn’t humor me this time.

P<*)))><

:lol::lol::lol:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 11:06 PM

Geez Paulina! You got some serious tude and huevos !! RIGHT ON Girl!!I want you on my side , friends forever?:biggrin:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 11:10 PM

Shouldn't that be Churro shake down? :biggrin:

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Dern rolled it down about 4 inches. I was waiting for him to press his license up to the window and talk with his mouth smashed to the glass, but he didn’t humor me this time.

P<*)))><

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28096#pid2757...

We were both thinking of this post, but didn't want to waste the time to test it out. Besides it was still too dark for easy lip reading.

P<*)))><

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Shouldn't that be Churro shake down? :biggrin:

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Si, probably should have been Churro. I have yet to check out one of the new AM/PM Pemex stations to see exactly what the officers are munching on in the wee hours of the morning.

Thank you for the coffee, company and the patience for an emergency pop in visit on Sunday. We would like a longer visit next time.

P y D

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 11:17 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the coffee, company and the patience for an emergency pop in visit on Sunday. We would like a longer visit next time.

P y D

De nada! Anytime! We casa es su casa!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:

P<*)))><

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=28096#pid2757...

We were both thinking of this post, but didn't want to waste the time to test it out. Besides it was still too dark for easy lip reading.

P<*)))><

I was remembering those pictures, that's why I was rotflm"M"ao :lol::lol::lol:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2008 at 10:18 AM

Love it!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.