Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Women & Mordita??
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 05:54 PM
Women & Mordita??

Mordita and the antics of the Mexican cops have been a popular recurring topic for the almost 10 years I have been participating on these boards.

It seems the only Mordita stories are posted by men...what about American women driving in Mexico? Have you ever been stopped? If so, what happened?

I'd go first....but I've never been stopped. I would drive to my in-laws near Estero Beach in the 70's. My parents retired in Rosarito in the 80'. I've driven to Cabo San Lucas (and back) solo.

My mom has been stopped twice in 25 years. No ticket or mordita. Once she played dumb and nervous, asked if she could go to the little tienda she was stopped in front of and get a soda. The cop was gone when she came out (which is what she was hoping for). The second time (years later) she got ****** and indignant until the cop said "Why you yell me? Then he left.

Do the cops see men as an easier target than women? They don't think they could get as much money out of us?

Is it just that there are fewer women? (driving and/or posting) Or maybe they ARE "equal opportunity" scammers and it just has not been posted.

Inquiring minds want to know.

[Edited on 1-13-2008 by Hose A]

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 06:01 PM

I am just guessing, of course, but I would bet that women drive less aggressively, and the bad guys just don't want to deal with women when they KNOW they are wrong to make the stop in the first place. It is easier for them to deal with hostile men, and men are perhaps more impatient, will pay off and just get on their way???? I have never paid mordida, so don't really know.

Very good question-----it will be interesting to see the responses.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 06:30 PM

Love this topic Jeans, I hope alot of us 'BBB's ' respond!

I have NEVER been stopped, (10yrs. and many times each year) I don't know if it's BECAUSE I'm a woman (they might have more respect for women? might it remind them that had better behave because their Moms might be watching? Maybe because I travel with my (not so anymore) young son? When I have stopped at check points, I have been treated with the utmost respect, never really been checked beyond the "Mrs.........(they always call me Mrs.) please can we look in back" I just open it up and have never had them do anymore than look and ask "any guns or drugs?"

We all have heard of women being raped at border towns by police while their families had to watch helpless. I WON'T go "there" I can't see them shooting me on a city street if I refuse to go to the "station" so they can just "pack sand!"

Mean people suck!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 06:47 PM

I, also, have never been stopped. I think that it has something to do with the mother thing. No matter how macho some of these guys think they are, they all have mothers and they were taught to respect or, at least, fear these women.
Plus I am no longer a woman that they might want to chat with...talking about mother figure!!!

I could be totally wrong about this but I do think that it has something to do with the culture.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 06:53 PM

Yup, I figure that's it Judy...I have driven Baja for over 20 years and have never been stopped while I was driving!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
sanfelipebob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 07:07 PM

I have long hair, now I need to wear a dress?????:lol::lol:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 07:15 PM

bob
actually I think a little lipstick with do the trick

jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 07:18 PM

and shave the beard.....:lol:

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 07:58 PM

I've been stopped, but no mordida...giving/taking a bribe is a two way street, both people have to participate. someone has to ask, or offer. I go into dumb mode, don't offer anything, and wait it out. one time I was stopped and the motorcycle cop told me there was a big fine, x amount, and did I have that much money?, I said no and waited to see what happened next. eventually he just gave up I guess, and waved me away. my guess is that women aren't expected to be that street savvy, after all, they are supposed to have someone taking care of them, and paying the bribes if they are Mexican. I'd guess it's cultural as well as a numbers game...fewer of us out there, so far. any female payers? I'd be interested in hearing their experiences.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 08:47 PM

Jeans: Interesting point. I have maybe 20 crossings without a hitch and my last two got stopped. Andy and I are getting pretty close to needing man-bras - might as well go all the way and change into our drag uniforms while getting pesos at the Costco in Chula Vista. Can we stop by your place on the way down and pick up a change? If I recall, you and Andy are about the same.....oh never mind
debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 10:34 PM
¿Por qué? ¿Por qué?

The one and only time I got pulled over, I was horrified. Expecting the worst, I immediately screamed the words ¿Por qué? ¿Por qué?. I also was waiving my arms in the air like a crazy woman. Only half way to my door, the officer turned around, got in his car, and sped away.

I told of my encounter to our general contractor, who was waiting for me at the construction site of our home. He found it quite funny. My feelings were hurt. Expecting sympathy for being so upset, I told him so.

After he apologized, he gave his explanation of seeing it with humor. You probably reminded him of his Mother, Wife, or girlfriend. Why do you think men go to work?

To this day I don’t know if I should be flattered or, ... (you know the rest of the phrase.)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, \'What a ride!\' - Author Unknown
debindesert
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2008 at 10:50 PM
Me again

Not all, but most of the men I have met in Mexico say that they are brought up to respect and protect women. From their Mothers, to be helpful. From their Fathers, to provide and take care. From the Catholic Church, sanctified and revered.

When it comes to confrontations, I don’t believe they (men) have the tools to deal with women in a professional manner. From an educational system that has separate-gender classes, it’s hard to pin point if this has something to do with it.

(Worms in can. Now, take worms out of can)

-Deb

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, \'What a ride!\' - Author Unknown
jeans
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by debindesert

When it comes to confrontations, I don’t believe they (men) have the tools to deal with women in a professional manner. -Deb

I think you nailed it! They will try to out-macho other men, but they run from an emotional woman!

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 07:36 AM

Never thought about it being a gender issue, but now that you mention it Jeans, I cannot personally think of ever being stopped when I was driving. I quit driving the long road trips and pretty much stay off the highway now for the last 5 years, (I always hated to drive). But, before that, I drove to San Jose and La Paz an unaccountable amount of times, the last time I drove alone from the Boarder to Los Barriles was 1998.

Still, My daughter drives frequently to La Paz and San Jose, and she has never been stopped while driving.

I remember her once telling me a story about riding into La Paz with another 3 ladies, it must have been 15 years ago or so, and with the exception of my daughter who was just coming out of being a kid then, all of the ladies where middle aged gringas.

They got stopped and hit on for the mordida; all were in agreement to pay the $200 pesos he requested and get on their way. That is of course with the exception of one, she is a retired district attorney from Alaska. Well, she got a little indignant about the whole situation and started to rip him a new one, they about had to gag her, still against her protest, they paid and went on with their day.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 10:04 AM

A lot of good arguments in this thread for letting your wife drive.
:biggrin:

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
A lot of good arguments in this thread for letting your wife drive.
:biggrin:

I suspect the modida/ticket pass is only good for women driving alone or in the company of other women and/or children.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
LuvinBaja

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 10:35 AM

Hi! My first time to post on this forum -- actually just visiting for the first time. A great friend of mine who lives here in Baja recommended the site. I've been living in Rosarito for a year and a half, but have been coming regularly for the past 5 years. I'm a woman... and I've never been stopped with a mordita "request" when I was driving. In fact, never stopped for any reason. But I've been a passenger when we've been "shaken down" a couple times over the years, and I've found that if I speak up & intervene, the policeman will back down. But the story that I think gives the most insight on this topic is an incident that happened to a young woman I know who moved to Baja about a year ago. She and her husband got stopped while on their way to San Diego from Rosarito. Her husband was driving, but doesn't speak a word of Spanish, whereas she is fluent -- so she was talking with the officer. She was 8 months pregnant at the time, and when the officer said that they would have to go to the station or he would impound their car, she started to cry -- and then apologized saying, "Forgive me, I'm just emotional because of my pregnancy." The officer then went pale and said, "Oh, please calm down, you'll hurt the baby -- please don't cry!" -- apologized profusely & waved them on. I think Mexicans (including policemen) are chivalrous when it comes to women, and show genuine concern & respect for women in general.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 03:06 PM

An education system with separate-gender classes? Not in La Paz, where my three children went to school for four years in the '60s, nor where my three grand-children go to school today.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
debindesert
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 05:50 PM

bajalera, you’re right about most of the schools in Baja. I come to find out, it depends on the community, especially rural areas.

Most of the men I spoke with (San Felipe), said they received their education from the Church. They were separated after grade 6.

In my small community of Westminster, CA (aka Barbara City) in the 60s, we had Saint Mary’s. All my friends attending were separated by sex from grades 1 through 8. The ones that went on to attend our community high school, took a little more time to socialize themselves to co-ed classes.

The parental argument for a parochial environment was discipline from the boys and full attention from the girls. They did this for academic purposes, but dang, some of these kids were down right dumber than dirt.:lol:

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2008 at 06:55 PM

I've been watching this thread with interest.

Have I ever been stopped? Yes, many times. Not alone though, only with a significant other.

The first time I can remember being stopped was in Ensenada, my husband at the time was driving our Dolphin motorhome. It was during the time when one could park directly in front of Hussongs.

The officers stopped us for running a stop sign that didn't exist. Husband got out of the motorhome as asked, I started raising a fuss. I was told to stay in the cab as my husband was directed to the back of the vehicle. That didn't stand good by me so I started to get out. The officer who was standing guard told me to stay put, then ended up blocking my exit by placing his butt against the passenger door as I was trying to get out. Talk about a comic scene. As I pushed so did he. Open, shut, open, shut.

I never was able to exit the vehicle, my ex paid the mordida and we were off.

Most of my trips after that were alone with my children. I was told of the Mexican regard for women, so I bought a large fake diamond from Kmart to wear on my left hand and left my real ring at home and hit the highway.

I was a mom, a married woman and worthy of respect, and so it seems that I got it. Even when I ran the road block in El Rosario I was met with the respect that a mother deserves.

You don't mess with moms, wives, or women who have the juevos to do it alone, so is the experience I've lived through. Is it stupid luck? Some may say yes.

Would I be so brave to do it now? I'm not so sure. Life and times have changed, so have the people who will come to your aid at the side of the road in the wee dark hours of the night. I probably would do it now, but with a different time schedule.

It's the luck of the draw and how you meet the hand that is dealt you at the moment.

Bottom line, I think we women have the advantage over our men, in this department.

Move over, I'm drivin'!

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.