Author: Subject: Dirty Cops in Ensenada
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 02:12 PM
Dirty Cops in Ensenada

They're back!!!
As if they ever left.
Sunday one of our Baja Boys stayed in the 'Burb while the rest were shopping. He was sitting at the wheel, parked, reading the LATimes, smoking a cigar and had a beer in a plain plastic cup on the dash holder. (yep, not a good move, we all agree with that)
Street cop walks by, reaches in, smells the cup, orders him out of the car and "let's go to the station for a few hours and a $200 fine!"
After some negotiations the cop accepted $60 (US) told him to pour out the beer and went on down the street.
Not bad pay for a Sunday afternoon in Ensenada, I would say.
So, I guess the hope-for sanitizing of the local police force is still not a done deal and I guess the price has gone up as well.

Anyone out there have the opportunity to rat on this super-fink cop?? Would be nice to pass the word along to the Ensenadans who claim to have cleaned up their act!!

Baja Arriba!!
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 02:32 PM

What would the fine be in Oakdale? Curioso. Sounds like you had a great trip. I'll be down there end of next week and we just got back a week or so ago. Gotta love that place.
kookbusters
Banned

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 03:29 PM

The cop didn't plant the beer in the car.

He got off easy.

Should know better than to have an open beer in your rig ESPECIALLY in Ensenada, ESPECIALLY during spring break.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 04:19 PM

Frank O
If you are going into Ensenada stop by the taco stand I recommended for some out of this world shrimp or fish tacos. See my thread under this section on "Highly Recommended Taco Stand" for photos and directions.
Bob H
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 05:06 PM
the point is that the crooked cop kept the money

does anyone believe that the money made it to the Ensenada treasury?

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 05:56 PM
Kook- you missed the point

Hey mon,
I already said our guy screwed up....
But, if the day of serious 'cop grift' is back in Ensenada then folks need to know it.

By the way, according to our resident legal experts, "open container" is a citeable offense/misdemeanor, in California and the fine is somewhere less than $200.....
and, sir, it goes into the County Treasury, not the cop's pocket!

Baja Arriba!!

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by thebajarunner]
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 05:59 PM

"the point is that the crooked cop kept the money"

That is NOT the point. Stupid is the point.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
Hey mon,
I already said our guy screwed up....
But, if the day of serious 'cop grift' is back in Ensenada then folks need to know it.

By the way, according to our resident Superior Court judges (several of whom were on our trip) "open container" is a citeable offense/misdemeanor, in California and the fine is somewhere less than $200.....
and, sir, it goes into the County Treasury, not the cop's pocket!

Baja Arriba!!

So, you and your friend would have been perfectly happy and morally gratified if instead of $60 in the cops pocket he would have taken your friend to jail and the judge would fine him $200?

Pendejos!

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2004 at 07:08 PM

I think the point is cultural. I certainly don't expect too much change in my lifetime. I would like to try that stand. Looks great. Actually I meant I was heading to Bahia. Apparently I am not the greatest communicator when I am tired.
Uncle Jack

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 06:37 AM

People have been trying to save/change Mexico for the last 500 years with varying degrees of success. If you plan to come to Mexico, or live in Mexico, leave all preconceived notions at the border.
BajaRick

Mood: for a cold one!

wink.gif posted on 4-1-2004 at 09:13 AM
Advice for next trip

Baja runner:
I suggest that your buddy learn from his lesson and FIRST go to the local McDonalds and order a soda, pour the beer in the McD's cup put the lid on and go about reading the LA Times in the car.

I personally would rather give $60 to the cop than $100 to the city.
BR
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankO
Apparently I am not the greatest communicator when I am tired.

LOL. Fortunately, you make up for it when you're awake and alert. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info

Without passing judgement on ANYONE, I'd just like to thank you for informing us of the continuing existence of this practice.

Information is power.
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 11:09 AM

Quote:

LOL. Fortunately, you make up for it when you're awake and alert. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's funny!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 12:58 PM
The continueing existance

of this practise is generally appreciated by everyone down here. If the same were to happen in california, you would get to spend a lot of money, deal with it not immediately but months later, and have a problem with your insurance companyas well.
And then the fine would go to building weapons of mass destruction, a better lawn for the politicos, and perhaps sponsor a trip for some congressmans friends to Cuba or Hawaii or somewhere.
Personally, I would rather see food on the cops table in Ensenada than have it go to someone of a higher rank that doesn't need the money nearly as much as a street cop.
And that's the way it is. And will continue to be no matter what is expected from the foreigners.
Happy law breaking :lol:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 05:17 PM
Jr baja, I might agree with you....

....if you're referring to cases where laws are actually broken (like in this case).

What about the manufactured traffic infractions the TJ and Ensenada police are so famous for?
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 4-1-2004 at 05:44 PM

If you are brave, thats when you start saying things like Sindicatura, and requesting to go to the police station. Beware, Mexicans really don't like to be put down, lose face, to Americans in their own county. Things just may go badly if you present this kind of attitude. The thing that works for me is complete humility.

Bajarunner is a former judge so he is all for fining people, but I guess he feels baja is a law free zone, and his friends should be exempt. Probably much like it is in the states for him whenever he needs to use his power to get his ass out of trouble. Maybe even his "friends".

For all you people out there who travel south with your american centric mind set, GET A CLUE. Mexico is not America. Respect the people and their culture and there is a chance you just might learn something.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 09:57 PM

Damn! Me No--what utter sense you make. About 45 years of wandering around down here and respecting the culture and enjoying the people and I have only been stopped twice--Had nice discussions and was on my way. Cops, no matter from what contry, have no need to invent violations. We just let the fools make them. The end result is that they receive some form of punishment.
I once had dinner with a bunch of Judges and Ray Kroc--one of the judges, while in his cups, described Ray as an uneducated fool--Guess who the fool was. Answer the judge who was always in his cups--even on the bench.
Justice is not blind--it just stumbles a lot.
Viva Baja!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 10:19 PM
Bernie

What does "in his cups" mean?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What does "in his cups" mean?

Drunk

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.