BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Super plane at Gonzaga/Alfonsina's
RancidVandall

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 09:43 PM
Super plane at Gonzaga/Alfonsina's

I was at Alfonsina's just after Christmas on my motorcycle with some friends and saw this very unique aircraft at the landing strip. It was just used in a film (Raiders of the Lost Ark III) and still had on the temp paint from the movie. It was Russian and the interior was set up like a motorhome. Check out the last photo's as it refuled at the Pemex. Crazy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18443963@N03/

The takeoff photos were actually a video but I couldn't figure out how to upload a video and they came out as photos.

Randall Vancil
San Diego resident and Campo La Costilla house owner.

[Edited on 1-18-2008 by BajaNomad]
RancidVandall

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 09:47 PM

It looks like the link did not develop fully so you'l have to copy and paste the link to see the photos. Let's see them try to steal this one from Gonzaga!

Randall
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 10:28 PM

Pix #1

2193705629_6a2eb504fc_m.jpg - 26kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 10:29 PM

pix#2

2193709035_c697fb5d2f_m.jpg - 11kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 10:30 PM
welcome to BAJANOMAD

pix#3

2194498132_1b2a17256d_m.jpg - 20kB

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 10:37 PM
Here's an interesting plane/boat

Saw him flying up in BC, Canada. About a 10' dinghy with ultralight attached.

I think the world is run by C- students.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2008 at 10:49 PM
Cool looking plane

Here is link to your photos: slideshow

Quote:
Originally posted by RancidVandall
I was at Alfonsina's just after Christmas on my motorcycle with some friends and saw this very unique aircraft at the landing strip. It was just used in a film (Raiders of the Lost Ark III) and still had on the temp paint from the movie. It was Russian and the interior was set up like a motorhome. Check out the last photo's as it refuled at the Pemex. Crazy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18443963@N03/

The takeoff photos were actually a video but I couldn't figure out how to upload a video and they came out as photos.

Randall Vancil
San Diego resident and Campo La Costilla house owner.

I think the world is run by C- students.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-15-2008 at 05:53 AM

Anatov AN-2, world's largest actively flying biplane. Used a lot for ag spraying 3rd world.
several privately owned, and a few available/for sale.
no wonder, they burn 50 gals an hour and cruise about 110 knots..........that's about $8 a mile.

The private explorer home built was a little better concept for a flying winnabego.
large monoplane with tube and fabric design hull, metal wing and spar, much like a bellanca's skin. Head high walk in cabin with bed, couch, chair table, refreshment center etc. 2 wicker stools at the pilots station.
saw it at the EAA fly in around 2000 in Mesa. 300 hp Lyc eng swinging 90 inch fixed pitch prop. Gross weight about 5000 lbs with a 2600 lb useful load!!
went about 105 kts so no speed demon but only burned about 14 gals/hr.
i coveted that plane from the 1st time i saw her = still do. several were built but you never see 'em.
kit was $100K sans engine and prop.
wish i had pictures.
ultimate flying SUV has to be Buffet's Albatross fitted as a semi airmotor home.

The flying box car, Shorts 360 with twin turboprops would be the ultimate airmotor home if someone had the $$ and inclination to retro one.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 02:20 PM

I am headed up to fly one for a buddy of mine in ID. Try 90knots, and 38-40gph. But a ground roll of 400ft! Great big super cub.
They are the highest fleet time aircraft in history (read slow). They are still in service throughout the world as people and cargo haulers. They are popular observation and patrol planes as well. Mostly in former Eastern block countries and Russia. Guatemala has several. They would be thick as mosquitos in Alaska and BC if the US and Canadian govt's would allow them out of the restricted category. The motor is a P&W 1830 copy alla the DC-3.

Fly low, land on roads.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 05:08 PM

Cap you get all the great gigs! take pics for us ok?
the one here is from Valdez according to post on BBP.

i got my type info from a static display model at last years cactus fly in.
in fact now that i think about the Panagra it might have been the very one here. i just didn't recall the RV layout.

looking forward to the next round of the "Boyz" adventure.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.