Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8
Author: Subject: Riding a bicycle down Baja
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 01:31 PM

okay, I worry about the bikers. and I'm really concerned when I come across them stopped in the middle of Mex 1 taking pictures, etc. however, as SAG support for my sister/brother-in-law for some of their trips cross/down USA (crazyguyonabike.com)I just support them in what they choose to do which is not necessarily what I would choose to do. their last trip, cross country San Diego to Florida got aborted when they were hit by an RV awning that came loose at just the wrong moment. stuff happens.

I'm in El Juncalito, just south of Loreto, and will be living in Loreto for the next five weeks, so tell him when he comes thru this way and needs someone for local assistance or a place to crash for the night, let me know. will U2U you with email address and local address.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 02:46 PM
bikers

If they ride down the lane like they are a car instead of next to the shoulder, then cars/ trucks passing them would have to pass just like they were a car. Meaning wait until its safe to pass.
After all a bike is a vehicle and has just as much right to the lane as a car does.
That being said
I still think he's (*&%^%#^%$#) NUTS
Where he's going he'll have much more dangerous roads/ places, then Mex 1
DAND
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 02:53 PM

A 2MPH bicycle in the middle of a 50MPH highway is an accident in the making for some poor soul.:no:
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
A 2MPH bicycle in the middle of a 50MPH highway is an accident in the making for some poor soul.:no:

Especially on a blind curve or if he is in a dip and one of those countless crazy passes happens. We have all seen them and the sometimes result.

I suppose it is his right but it is a very dangerous thing. I have mixed opinions on it, one thing to undertake a risky thing for the joy and adventure of it and quite another to put others at increased risk for it.

Then again anyone that undertakes a drive down Baja knows it is somewhat more risky than a casual drive in the states. Bikes are a part of it.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 08:02 PM

I could think of better places to ride(like the dirt roads as suggested); but, I don't see a problem with it. I've met many bike riders throughout Mexico during my years of travel and never met any of them that regretted it. It's not the most bike friendly country; but, they know that. Nonetheless, bicycling is an accepted form of transport by locals throughout Mexico (most often for shorter distances; but, often on the main highway) in addition to a private car, taxi, bus, horseback, and walking, etc...

If you can't slow down enough to wait for a safe place to pass a bike rider, it is you that is being unsafe, not them. Really, how had is it to sit on your rear and push pedals with you feet and spin a wheel with your hands? It's that hard? Whats the speed limit again? 60 - 80 KPH? (37 - 50MPH) You can't see far enough ahead to slow down?

Is it the cows fault they are in the road when you come around a corner with too much speed? Should all the potholes get out of your way?

What about hitting they guy with the broken down truck stalled in the middle of the road on a blind curve? Is it his fault you hit him? Maybe we could blame it on his engine, the automaker that made his truck, the road paving crew that built the road, the sun... anybody but you. That is much more convenient.

Driving a car is a serous matter. Don't neglect to look in the mirror and take responsibly for your own actions as well. I am sure he knows the risks of riding a bike and has done what he can to minimize them. If he messes up, he crashes and gets road rash. If you mess up you kill someone. He isn't the one that is causing you to drive to fast for the conditions.

So it's not the widest road in the world. So then do we ban semi's and RV's too?

Whether you drive a car or ride a bike in Baja or elsewhere I advise you to learn the risks and how to operate your machine safely. If you hit a pedestrian, bicyclist, car, rock, pothole, or horse because you were going too fast to avoid it or not paying attention - Who's fault is that again?

If you can't take responsibility for what your vehicle runs into you should put it in park permanently and walk away before YOU kill someone. BTW - As a pedestrian you'll need to watch out for the "crazy" insensitive drivers... they just might run you over and blame it on you for being in THEIR way.

I find it funny how everyone here was so overjoyed about the children receiving their bicycles for the toy drive; yet, are unwilling to share the road with anyone on a bike because they are "crazy" and "put others at risk". I just hope those kids never get run over by a reckless driver with flawed logic. Your not the only one with a quest to see what is beyond the horizon.

(Devils Advocate - Over and out)
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 09:10 PM

Top 10 reasons to never visit Baja:

10. You/your family/friends will die
9. You will be kidnapped for ransom
8. You will be assaulted
7. You will be robbed or extorted
5. You will meet an unscrupulous real estate sales "professional"
4. You will meet an unscrupulous female "professional"
3. You will meet a diseased dollop of mayo on your fish taco and not be able to leave the company of a porcelain convenience for 72 hours
2. You will meet a gringo, who appears friendly, but find out that your political views are different and after 2 minutes of political discussion treat him/her/it worse than mexicans generally treat their dogs
1. You will encounter someone on a bicycle

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 09:20 PM

you forgot..............

They ran out of Pacifico

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 09:46 PM

People have the right to put themselves in danger if that's their desire. However they have no right to endanger the lives of others. On the majority of this road there is no room for him to get out of the way of others. If he wants to accomplish a real feat he needs to do it off the pavement. I am astonished at the selfishness of his act. Sorry folks, I'm not impressed.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 10:32 PM

Well, yah... since it's the ONLY highway down the length of the peninsula... :wow:

Riding Okay if it were possible for him to pull over so as to not cause an accident... but much of Mex. 1 there is no way to...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 10:41 PM

ALL of the people I've actualy met and talked to who were riding a bike on the highway in Baja had only seen it on a map! What an " ADVENTURE". Most of them were Euros. One couple even had thier dog in a trailer, we met them on the dirt road south of Puertocitos, at least they did some dirt, they were heading to Yucatan. they said the worst they had seen was the Orteaga highway!
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 10:47 PM

I am an experienced/avid/adventurous bicyclist. I wouldn't do this ride, as there are other rides with more challenge and less danger. But, I support his right to challenge himself and goforit.

What I don't understand is the road rage expressed in this and other threads(June 25 2007). It's not me against you on the road,... is it?

Mango's point about Dia de Reyes bicycles is interesting. What is different about a 6 year old on their first bike in your cul-de-sac v. the guy/gal on Mex1?

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 11:05 PM

Seems pretty unanamous that this is a crazy thing to do and very dangerous. I tend to agree 100 percent!
Bob H
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
People have the right to put themselves in danger if that's their desire. However they have no right to endanger the lives of others. On the majority of this road there is no room for him to get out of the way of others. If he wants to accomplish a real feat he needs to do it off the pavement. I am astonished at the selfishness of his act. Sorry folks, I'm not impressed.

Selfish?

Many bike riders I've seen in Mexico are locals that may not own a car. According to the logic of many here they must be selfish also. They should go buy a $40,000 truck so some gringos don't have to be inconvenienced!

Should the slow trucks chugging their way up the grades have to get out of the way too? They take up far more room than a bike and often go as slow. Are they selfish?

For all the people that seem to be confused or panic when they see a bike, slow truck, RV, cow, etc... here is what to do:

If slower traffic, then check to see if it is safe to pass.

-If yes, then pass and continue.
-If no, then slow down and repeat algorithm.

Not so hard. Now is it?

It is fine for people to go faster than others. Just be safe and remain in control if you choose to do so. This often requires waiting until it is safe to pass a truck, car, or bike. In many cases, people pass when it is unsafe; but, this is not the fault of the person being passed - it is the fault of the person who make the bad decision to pass when it was unsafe
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Seems pretty unanamous that this is a crazy thing to do and very dangerous. I tend to agree 100 percent!
Bob H

I also agree 100%
msawin
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2008 at 11:40 PM

In my twenty years of driving down #1 and seeing these "brave adventures" on the same strecth as me and wishing them to have as great a trip as mine, I think having read the posts entered before me. It comes down to those 3-10 seconds to make a decision. Where I put my car, with that 18 wheeler coming at me... And what do you do? Un-like my culdisac neighborhood, with junior on the new X-mas bike. All my neighbors are going about 15 miles an hour or slower. Backing out. Looking left or right.... OR No. A "18' ft'er doing 75 an hour right in front of you!! Quick.. left / right ,,,,, break / spead-up...stop...5 seconds and its over...

good luck to all, as I make the trip in 4 weeks myself.

martin-o
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 06:29 AM

wanna read the FUNNIEST reasons not to go to baja?
they are at Dale Pearson's site
www.gonetobaja.com :lol::lol:

i say let 'em ride!!! its felony dumb but it should be their informed choice........:?::o

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
I am an experienced/avid/adventurous bicyclist. I wouldn't do this ride, as there are other rides with more challenge and less danger. But, I support his right to challenge himself and goforit.

What I don't understand is the road rage expressed in this and other threads(June 25 2007). It's not me against you on the road,... is it?

Mango's point about Dia de Reyes bicycles is interesting. What is different about a 6 year old on their first bike in your cul-de-sac v. the guy/gal on Mex1?

The concern/ outrage, etc. is about riding HIGHWAY ONE, not some residential street in the city.

Those trucks need that highway to transport goods, the people of Baja dependent on tourism need those RVs to use that highway to get south.... BUT, some Euro or Eco nut that thinks it would be fun to ride a bike on the highway that is not designed beyond the needs of trucks, RVs and cars is causing a problem... because a bike is so small, but still requires everyone to move into the opposite lane to get around it. That puts others in danger. The solution would be to use dirt roads instead...

Once again, look at this photo that jrbaja took and tell me where is there room for a cross country bike rider... and that is a straight section? What about the hills out of El Rosario or near Santa Rosalia?

DSCF0034 copy.jpg - 26kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 09:13 AM

I think this is the third bicycle Mex1 thread in my 16 months here. History is repeated in many Nomad posts like this one. I enjoy this disagreement and discussion much more than the Union-Trib, Rocky Mtn News or Orlando
Scenile.

My road bike still hasn't touched Mex dirt/pavement for safety reasons. Safe travels to all.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan

Seems to me the selfish individual is the one who thinks their auto has more right to the road than another legal vehicle.
Bikes have as much right to use a road as autos do. Autos just need to slow down when they see a slow vehicle and only pass when safe. You should not pass a bicyclist or any slow moving vehicle when another vehicle is heading toward you.
Will it really inconvenience you to slow down and wait to pass the bike when it is safe to do so?
What's your rush?
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2008 at 09:24 AM

More food for thought from our dear friend, JR

ouch.jpg - 44kB

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.