Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8
Author: Subject: Riding a bicycle down Baja
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2008 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan

Have you evr driven this road? I can think of numerous blind curves.

too many times but admittidely (sp) I'm taking the full length into account as that's what I drive. I see your point.
But even on a long flat wide-open stretch of road it may be necessary to slowWAY down to accomodate all utilising the hwy. I just have ZERO problem with that and actually find myself cheering for the peddlers!! (the furtherist thing from these whiners' minds). different strokes I guess.

Interestingly and very tellingly (i'm on a 'ly' trip), while locals (and that's all that matters to me in the end) may consider the cyclists loco .... they won't ***** about it or exhibit road rage. period.
done

[Edited on 1-19-2008 by Hose A]
ridesouth

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 05:33 PM

Hello-

My name is Dave Liddell and I am the cyclist you have been conversing about. I had such a great time reading this thread, I laughed so hard reading everyoneīs opinion of my trip and their assumptions about my riding style, my sanity, and my intelligence. Very amusing.

I thought I should give a little back and give you a glimpse of the view from the saddle. The roads are indeed treacherous but comparable to sections of Hwy 1 in the US. Near TJ there was quite a bit of traffic but the shoulder was also wider. Riding south of Rosarito the shoulder quickly dissapeared but so did much of the traffic. In the US I had jerks on the road mess with me daily. Down here Iīve had almost none. In general I find that the drivers here are much more courteous than the US. They may drive faster but that doesnīt nessecarily mean they arenīt safer. The truck drivers are very percise. They will not pass unless there is room to do so. I cringe every time I hear one of them slow behind me to wait to pass. I hate to be the inconvenient gringo and try not to let that happen. There is almost no situation where I canīt pull off to the side of the road even at the expense of a few layers of skin. Skin grows back and pain is fleeting, death is something entirely different.

Almost every single blind corner has a shoulder made of concrete to allow drainage. This is due to the fact that most of the serpentine sections are in mountains and they need this drainage to maintain the roads. I never ride with headphones. If I hear a vehicle behind me and a blind corner or hill is approaching I have a choice: either hurry around it and put some distance between me and it, or wait for the vehicle to pass. 90% of the time I take the latter unless the vehicle is a great distance off.

If I see vehicles approaching and hear vehicles behind me I gauge the size of the shoulder and decide whether or not to pull off. The key to riding these types of roads is to keep alert, decide what you are going as early as possible, and take your time to enjoy the view when itīs safe. This is not a fast mode of travel. The most milage Iīve done in a day is only 65 miles. If I was in a hurry Iīd be on a plane instead.

Sure this is dangerous, but itīs also intensely rewarding. Death is NOT part of the program. I am doing this to live, to really live. I mitigate my risk to a personally acceptable level. Danger, stupidity, sanity, are largely subjective.

The people here are extremely kind and helpful, the sunsets and vistas are mind blowing, the cactus is like nothing Iīve ever seen, and the food is very very good in a very straightforward way. I feel more alive than I ever did sitting at a desk trying to save the world one dot com at a time. Mexico is a beautiful place on a bike, on a human level. You should try it sometime.

-Dave
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 06:31 PM

all the best and keep rubber side down and beans intake up
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 06:32 PM

Good post Dave.
Interesting to hear the other side.
Welcome to the board and hope to get some sort of travel log of your experiences.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 07:24 PM

good for you Dave. have you passed Loreto yet? or El Juncalito? I passed one cyclist making the climb up to our look out, stopped to wait for him, give him an atta boy, etc, but he road on past my car parked at the top, didn't even stop to rest. boy, some legs and lungs.
feel free to u2u if I can give you local advice or assistance.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 07:34 PM

BRAVO!

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 08:43 PM

Dave,

Welcome to Baja Nomad and thanks for sharing. It's good to hear about other peoples adventures and realities. I am glad you have had a great ride so far. I hope it continues to get better as the world rolls by.

As you found out Baja is a special place. I think you will find that Mexico is pretty diverse as you head south on the mainland. Enjoy. It's a beautiful country full of great people.

Take care and keep us updated.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 09:32 PM

Kudos to you my friend and best of luck. One mans ceiling is anothers floor.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 09:43 PM

First off, good on you for the reply. It is comforting to know you are keyed into the dangers and hazards of that and other roads. It's also nice to hear you having no problems and are enjoying Baja. It's good you acknowledge the risk.
With that said amigo, you've convinced me that you are a prudent rider. It isn't your cautious nature of biking that worries me..... it's the driver who because of their lack of skills, eyesight or whatever that pose the biggest threat. Some drivers are just plain dangerous any time on any road. The fact that few brave souls ply the road means that they are not a common engagement.
Good luck and keep enjoying Baja. Remember if none of us here cared for life and yours in particular than perhaps this thread wouldn't have existed.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajalid

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 03:50 PM

dave,love your thread.Wish I was riding down baja! and you are so right about the people in baja! keep pedeling will be looking for your next msg.
and people give him a break!:rolleyes:
bajadedom
Nomad

Mood: Ready for a change of latitude...

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 11:50 PM

Wonderful to read a polite reply to some of the stuff that gets thrown at people making a simple post here-You are a brave man and may God bless your journey.

[Edited on 1-26-2008 by bajadedom]
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadedom
and may God bless your journey.

oh please!!!
tajo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 10:31 AM

Roads in Baja are not only for car drivers - also for pedestrians, cyclists and cows - we should remember about it. Some nomads think that Mexicans consider cyclist to be "loco" - maybe - but it is rather an opinion of Sunday drivers, and more likely US-American than Mexican ones. I know that road cycling is very popular in Baja - and if you have questions about it, you may contact with the Club Ciclopista Tijuana, which very often announces road bike rides in the yahoo newsgroup Bajacamping.

I did not biked in Baja much , only once from San Telmo to San Pedro Martir, and another time on the road nr 3 near Ojos Negros - up to Laguna Hanson and Rumorosa - but I agree that the truck drivers are very kind in Mexico. Somebody advised to use dirty roads - but really you should have special tyres, because of jumping cholla and other cactus thorns - I repaired my flat tires three times between Laguna Hanson and Rumorosa. And you need plenty of water, because there is a small chance to find it on a dirty road.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gibson
Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
My family has been put in harms way because of bike riders in the past on certain dangerous parts of the Hwy1 Go do the math.

your family's in harms way in 'certain dangerous parts' because you're driving like an burro! your OWN family!! how does that feel? & congrats.
do.the.math.
"inconceivable" (the princess bride)
gibson, you needn't go name calling here.I was not even in the vehicle,and how do you know the person was driving like a "burro"? You have a problem , dude.See I didn't even call you a nasty name and got MY point across.Congrats on what? Take a pill or have a cerveza.

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 11:36 AM

tajo--yes, that's the tricky part of riding on the dirt roads--you have to very careful about finding water...the good news is that there are lots of tinajas and springs throughout the peninsula--finding out about them ahead of the ride is the challenge.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 03:38 PM

"Roads in Baja are not just for cars", yup... I can agree that is true from what I have seen on them... BUT, the fact is they were NOT designed for bike riders to use along with traffic. In other words, there is NO shoulder where a biker can pedal without being in a traffic lane, like most highways in the U.S.

I do respect Dave for posting here and being intelligent enough to know how to share the road with cars that may not be able to safely get around him or thinking that he has some 'special privilages' on a Mexican highway.

I hope your trip is a safe and rewarding one Dave... Thanks again for posting your reaction to our concerns for the safety of you on vacation and others who must use that narrow road in autos or trucks.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 05:16 PM

nice 'backpeddling' guys & gals!
hilarious
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 09:59 PM

Well said DK.I too , hope for Dave's journey to be an experience of a lifetime.His post said quite a bit about his knowledge and his being aware of the dangers that could be around each and every corner.I still think it is a death wish, but that is MY opinion.Hopefully we will get a trip report from him!:wow:

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gibson
Quote:
Originally posted by bajadedom
and may God bless your journey.

oh please!!!
you have a problem with someone wishing your friend well in the name of God? Thats just downright mean.:fire:

bajadedom
Nomad

Mood: Ready for a change of latitude...

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 10:14 PM

Gibson must be in politics....probably anti- Pledge of Allegiance too.... Hope he doesn't drive south while Dave's on the road...

Thanks for the support Nomads-God Bless all of you!
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.