BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8
Author: Subject: Guadalupe Canyon (post fire) & Petroglyphs (1-08)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tajo
Hi,

I have just visited Guadalupe Canyon on Sunday ( Jan , 20, 2008 ) - short trip from the 3rd waterfall to Rancho Sausualito and Rancho Pantalones and returned down that easy trail from Rancho San Luis through "La Vibora "and asked the host of the southern part of oasis ( with La Piedra and La Playita campsites ) about the purpose of the fire in October. They suppose that it was done on purpose by some jealous neighbors - somebody noticed a group of 10 , which could make the arson.
tajo
Ps Surely you know about the painted rock in Carrizo - photographed by "jide", together with "jide" I saw also many pieces of indian Pottery above middle part of Guadalupe Canyon, and there is many pictures of Water Gods which show where is possible to dig out water in the upper dry washes - as the Piedras Pinturas wash below the Rancho Sausualito.
Ps Ps Photo is made by my friend Sebastian on our way from Carrizo to Sausualito , the height about 1000 m above La Lagna Salada

[Edited on 2008-1-24 by tajo]

Welcome to Nomad 'tajo'!

If you need help in posting a photo, please feel free to email it to me and I can post it for you. Details on how to post photos on Nomad are in the Baja Photo forum...

Photos from jide: http://vivabaja.com/jide

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 04:48 PM

Tajo-----if in fact you made the hike you say you did, then I think you are certainly ready to climb Picacho del Diablo. What you claim to have done here is nothing short of stupendous!!! even on a multi-day hike!

-----and no, I don't know about the stuff in Carrizo, but would like to. :yes:

-----also "water God" pictures in upper Guadalupe??? what's that all about?

barry
tajo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
What neigbors?,So you guys climb from G-Canyon to Laguna Hanson Mesa and then down the Rancho San Luis trail?

Rncho San Luis

They told me only "neighbors" without any names - as it is not proven, as I suppose
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 05:34 PM
BARRY

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Wow, that is great, Cat. Thank you.

I think that this pic of your truck is even beyond where I drove in the 50's. In those days the road pretty much hugged the south side of the canyon, as I remember------the canyon of Palomar was very wide and full of boulders below the Rancho. The Rancho was active when we were there, and they did not want us driving up canyon beyond the cabin. I cannot remember if the "road" actually went beyond, but you certainly seem to be up-canyon further than I got.

Thanks again.

barry
Barry I found this book in the library,its call.PALM CANYONS OF BAJA CALIFORNIA,BY RANDALL HENDERSONHere is the picture of the ranch(cabin) the bookn is dated 1971 by la siesta press

cabin palomar.JPG - 45kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 05:36 PM

here is the book cover..

palms canyons.JPG - 42kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 05:46 PM

Thank you, Cat. I have that book in my collection, but you know I had forgottent that I had it-----you're reminding me is just great!!

That was the cabin (I think) that we camped near back in the late '60's.

I always wanted to hike the canyons like "Tajo" did, but never had enought time or energy to go all the way to the top-----his accomplishment is fantastic, I think!!!

I hope he (Tajo) does not think I was being a smart ass-----I wasn't meaning too, I was just amazed.

Barry
tajo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Tajo-----if in fact you made the hike you say you did, then I think you are certainly ready to climb Picacho del Diablo.

Hi Barry,
I would like very much to do Picacho from Laguna del Diablo, through Canyon Providencia or Del Diablo. In fact I reacherd once some years ago Campo Noche with my wife - but we lost the trail before the Blue Bottle Peak and because of that
we had not enough time for the peak.
Last eaar I volunteered for Bahia Travesia and descended solo as the last person Canyon Esperanza - it is two canyons more in the north direction from Canyon Del Diablo, about 20 abseils, some of them in waterfalls to freezing lakes, which you have to swim over after the abseiling... brrrrrrr..... But the canyon is amazing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I have just visited Guadalupe Canyon on Sunday ( Jan , 20, 2008 ) - short trip from the 3rd waterfall to Rancho Sausualito and Rancho Pantalones and returned down that easy trail from Rancho San Luis through "La Vibora "and asked the host of the southern part of oasis ( with La Piedra and La Playita campsites ) about the purpose of the fire in October. They suppose that it was done on purpose by some jealous neighbors - somebody noticed a group of 10 , which could make the arson.
tajo
Ps Surely you know about the painted rock in Carrizo - photographed by "jide", together with "jide" I saw also many pieces of indian Pottery above middle part of Guadalupe Canyon, and there is many pictures of Water Gods which show where is possible to dig out water in the upper dry washes - as the Piedras Pinturas wash below the Rancho Sausualito.
Ps Ps Photo is made by my friend Sebastian on our way from Carrizo to Sausualito , the height about 1000 m above La Lagna Salada

What a fantastic photograph!!!! Thanks for sharing it tajo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hi,

tajo

[Edited on 2008-1-25 by tajo]
WOW TAJO thats a great picture...:o:o:o:o

[Edited on 1-25-2008 by BAJACAT]

sierra-juarez-cimarron.jpg - 30kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 11:23 AM

Tajo do have pix of the WATER GODSS

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Tajo-----if in fact you made the hike you say you did, then I think you are certainly ready to climb Picacho del Diablo.

Hi Barry,
I would like very much to do Picacho from Laguna del Diablo, through Canyon Providencia or Del Diablo. In fact I reacherd once some years ago Campo Noche with my wife - but we lost the trail before the Blue Bottle Peak and because of that
we had not enough time for the peak.
Last eaar I volunteered for Bahia Travesia and descended solo as the last person Canyon Esperanza - it is two canyons more in the north direction from Canyon Del Diablo, about 20 abseils, some of them in waterfalls to freezing lakes, which you have to swim over after the abseiling... brrrrrrr..... But the canyon is amazing.

Wow, very impressive. You will make it for sure up that devil mountain-----I was never able to do that, but gazed at it from Blue Bottle peak many times, as well as from the east base. I have several friends and relatives that climbed it, but all taking several days to accomplish it.

I remember providing logistics for the Sierra Club Desert Peaks section (way back when) in their descent of Tajo Canyon, top to bottom. I let them off at the top, and then drove around down to the bottom to wait for them. The NEXT DAY they emerged from the canyon at the bottom exhausted, with tales of terror and wonder to tell, and they had been climbing DOWNHILL------I decided right then that I would not attempt it.

I hiked up the mountains of S. California almost every weekend in my youth, but none of those climbs compared to the rigors of the BAJA Canyons, IMO. I once hiked downhill in Anza-Borrego for 21 miles, ending up in Collins Valley, and I thought I was going to die------we were all in total exhaustion, even tho all experienced climbers.

You and your friends energy levels are incredible.

I applaud you. :yes: and thanks for your inspiring posts.

Barry
tajo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 01:42 PM

Yes, El Tajo is impressive, the first time it took me 22 hours down, but knowing the path I am crossing it much faster- my wife did it with our kids - there is also a side canyon in Tajo, which i would like to see. There is a long line of palms , perhaps more then a mile long ( which is unusual in the side canyons of Sierra Juarez ) and I may expect a spring or even a hot spring at the top. The google satelite view of it is:
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&hl=en&ie=UTF8&om...
and once i entered the upper part of the canyon and made the enclosed picture in the sunrise - in direction of El Trono Blanco.
The most steep part of the Tajo trail goes to the saddle between El Trono Blanco and La Milla (the peak on the right).

[Edited on 2008-1-25 by tajo]

elTronoBlanco-sl.jpg - 19kB
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 06:23 PM

Tajo any picture of the Water Godssss..

tajo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Tajo any picture of the Water Godssss..

I have a picture taken by Jorge, ranchero of Sausualito in Pargue Nacional Constitucion. He told me that such signs show water in a dry wash - just water is some feet underground.

[Edited on 2008-1-26 by tajo]

watermark3.jpg - 10kB
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 08:11 PM

Fantastic photos and a most interesting trip report.

Thanks,

CaboRon

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 08:17 PM

Thank you for posting the Water Gods, pix.I notice you are from San Diego are too.And where is El Zausalito?,lets say compare to Rancho San Luis...

tajo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 11:20 PM

GPS of the Rancho Sausualito can be read from the Google map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll...
Jorge uses the name "Sausualito" - i was told that it means "small willow" (but I am not sure about Spanish spelling). He tries to establish "agroturismo" in his rancho. He has built two stone huts - planning to build some more, and maybe a kind of Indian baths - as there is a very good, all year source of water. The road to Sausualito forks from the Parque Constitucion road near Rancho Rey del Sol (or Pantalones ) and at the point
turns right behind the Pantalones rock - what is visible in the Baja Almanac. From the ranch there are only horse paths in the Guadalupe valley to the south direction, and in the Corrizo valleyto north - and from the big bend where Guadalupe turns north-east :
there is a bushwacking possibility to reach the Hernan's ranch (near St. Luis) - but the only good road goes around through Pantalones and Laguna Hanson. It is advised to obtain a permission from the Pantalones owners to cross their property. I will send an email to Jorge if anybody likes to contact him. The surrounding of his ranch is amazing, a real wonderland of rocks, similar with the scenery of El Trono Blanco above Rancho El Topo.
The next photo is old - there is a new hut which replaced the old one.

[Edited on 2008-1-26 by tajo]

sausualito.jpg - 46kB
tajo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 12:04 AM

Surroundings of the Rancho Sausualito

sausualito1.jpg - 43kB
tajo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 12:23 AM

All four photos ( including the bighorn ) belong to my friend Sebastian, from our excursion to the Canyon Corrizo in the 2007-03-17

sausualito3.jpg - 45kB
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 07:25 PM

Thanks Tajo I see you meet Hernan.Last time I was there, I was eating fresh hand made flour tortillas made by his wife,right out off the wooden stove.Lovely couple.The Caretaker from Rancho San Luis is not that friendly, I was told.

[Edited on 1-27-2008 by BAJACAT]

carros.JPG - 47kB

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.