BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: THE UGLY AMERICAN? CANADIAN?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-23-2008 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

The term now joins normalcy, irregardless, hopefully and "I could care less" as having entered common usage by error but are now entrenched.

Add "basically" and "like"

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 01:40 PM

Have you noticed that the word "use" is fast becoming obsolete, being displaced by "utilize"? I even heard a sportcaster say that a football team was utilizing a pass strategy to its advantage--that's going too dang far..

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 02:38 PM

Word evolutions....Would you care to 'opine' on that further?...Now who always says that?......:lol:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Have you noticed that the word "use" is fast becoming obsolete, being displaced by "utilize"? I even heard a sportcaster say that a football team was utilizing a pass strategy to its advantage--that's going too dang far..

Bajalara,

I believe it comes from military usage :lol::lol:

CaboRon

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 03:12 PM

Please, Please…

Let us "Eschew Obfuscation" in this thread!!

Uh? :?: :lol:
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Word evolutions....Would you care to 'opine' on that further?...Now who always says that?......:lol:

the ugliest of 'mericans!! (if indeed ur referring to faux news)
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
A jury of loons does not count!!!

barry

Wrong! It does on this board.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 03:41 PM

"mericans"? Thats Texas pigeon english.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 03:54 PM

Listen to people speaking nearby. How often do you hear the "t" pronounced in often (not my original subject) or the use of a word that must be spelled IGGZAKKLEE. There is a rarely used word in our idiom which is pronounced:
EX ACT LEE. This error is practiced most commonly, it seems, by the people who are earning huge dollars talking for a living on TV.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 04:52 PM

Vgabndo, you just may have to report us all to professor Higgins.

myfairlady32grayscale.jpg - 46kB
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
300 people on this forum visted the post and one would assume read the post..

3 responded..

1%

Warms the heart..
sdm

I thought you were just reviewing a book, ergo no need for a reply since there was no question.

A good novel, UA, not a classic, but it did have some influence in the late 1950s. I think that Burdick and Lederer collaborated on three or four novels of which Fail Safe is probably the most notable. In any case when I read your post and therefore became one of the ‘views’ I saw no reason to add a rejoinder—in much the same way I do with most posts on the forums I peruse. Sort of like reading a newspaper, or, in some cases, a tabloid.

Ahhhh, but I returned to see what all the subsequent posts were about and came across one that did intrigue me.

Since I, too, indulge in that rather esoteric trivial pastime of tracing the linguistic ancestry of obscure words (especially those of the English and French languages), Oso’s post caught my eye immediately.

At the risk of being accused of taking a thread off-topic, I will confess to that egregious infraction up front. Guilty as charged.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Ah etymology! One of my favorite trivial pursuits. Did you know that "bigot" originally meant "one who does not share a common prejudice? It came from a Norman noble instructed,as a symbol of vassaldom, to kiss the foot of Charles The Simple, King of France. The old viking roared "Ne se, bi got!" (Not me, by god).

Oso, I’ve seen that reference to the origin of bigot before, but I choose to follow the words of the esteemed scholars of the OED. They seem to think that Wace’s rather entertaining description of the Norman pirate Rollo’s reply to a command to kiss the foot of Charles III (the “Simple”) as being “…absurdly incongruous with facts.” Perhaps since Rollo was Simple Chuck’s son-in-law there may have been a command to perform that rather obsequious act, and Rollo’s reputation would most certainly lead one to think that he could have uttered such a phrase, but history leads one in another linguistic direction.

The fact that Wace of Jersey, the 12th century poet to whom this bit of trivia is attributed, had already used the word bigot as a reference to Normans in a former work seems to have slipped the poet’s mind when he formed the above conclusion in Roman de Rou. Wace’s legend also ignores the fact that the term appeared in an earlier chanson de geste in a reference to Charles Martel (the “Hammer”) when he absconded with the wife of Girard de Roussillon.

Under the circumstances and with all due respect I think I’ll continue to hold that the precise origin of the word bigot is lost in obscurity.

Oso, so as not to derail this thread too much, I’ll check my U2U box occasionally and see if you have other ideas.

[Edited on 1-25-2008 by bufeo]

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 05:23 PM

Nah, I'll just stand corrected in the face of superior extensive research.:lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Some....I say some.....Canadians should read the booklet, "How to use a trash can" before coming to Mexico. They have earned a bad reputation for themselves here and more so down on the mainland for this reason.

The reputation I know is of being cheapskates in general and poor tippers in particular.
gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Some....I say some.....Canadians should read the booklet, "How to use a trash can" before coming to Mexico. They have earned a bad reputation for themselves here and more so down on the mainland for this reason.

The reputation I know is of being cheapskates in general and poor tippers in particular.

last time I was in Canada tipping wasn't part of the culture which would render your comment nothing short of pathetic.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2008 at 07:04 PM

Well, maybe - but it ain't my comment buddy, but that of the Mexicanos whose country visit. :wow:

I don't work for tips, so it don't mean diddly to me.

[Edited on 1-25-2008 by Roberto]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 07:16 AM
Great Scott! This is getting ugly..

Another thread hijacked..and now, more of that insanity.

Pagophobia brought many nomadic types to Baja. Oxyacanthous! shouted Nomads, describing the Baja countryside...while many Macrologists were evident in thier company. Heeding AlGore's warnings about global warming, many Paralian Baja dwellers became alarmed. Soon, Agenhinas in Baja became commonplace and a welcome status amongst Nomads. Unfortunately, Narcokleptocracy would soon make for endless Nomad posts. Now, certain rumblings are felt..but not the ones in Asuncion...rather Opsophagy, which is a Baja passion, too.

By the way, the expression Great Scott!....an exclamation of surprise or amazement...came from one of America's most admired soldiers of the 19th Century, General Winfield Scott. I believe there was a certain 'ugly' war going on...

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 09:44 AM

I like to use utilize Lucys' exclamation "Good Grief" and this thread is well suited for such.

Quote:
The reputation I know is of being cheapskates in general and poor tippers in particular

Eh???
:lol::lol::lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto

True enough, but they're very polite about it.:lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 10:48 AM

CANADIAN SHOPPING --BOXING DAY

I recall some years ago -possibly 15 or more when the US dollar was very strong and the Canadian dollar weak some where around 60 cents Canadian to American dollar.

It was winter --I was visiting friends in Toronto, Canada I had arrived in SoCal warm clothes, hardly adequate for the Canadian winter but I made do until Boxing day - the day after Christmas when all stores have supper sales every thing related to winter is on sale at a greatly reduced price.

I purchased a tan "Canadian Duffel Coat" and immediately placed it on my cold California body-- and did it feel great!

I was standing out side a woman's clothing store waiting for my wife who was inside also taking advantage of the Boxing sale, when a Canadian gentleman joined me as is often the case when the lady folks are shopping.

Assuming I was a 100% Canadian who was wearing the national coat turned to me and stated "Those darn Americans look at the trash all around the mall." I noticed boxes, bags and all sorts of shopping debris and even people discarding their old clothes and putting on new recently purchased Canadian items. All I could safely respond under the circumstances was "Eh?" and lucky for me my wife arrived at that very moment and with out uttering anthing we departed poste haste.

That evening on Canadian news there was a snippet displaying the route to the border littered with discard boxes, bags, old clothes, etc.

The trash was blamed on Americans from upstate New York who came to Toronto, purchased items, put them on and discarded the old items along with the boxes along the route. The next morning TV news had more of the same as well as an article in the local news paper about the trash discarded by the Americans who had taken advantage of the bargains on Boxing day.

So it goes both ways... and now the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar. One would question that if some time in the future the Canadians will be traveling south to Buffalo and trashing American roads on the return trip?

sdm
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
CANADIAN SHOPPING --BOXING DAY

I recall some years ago -possibly 15 or more when the US dollar was very strong and the Canadian dollar weak some where around 60 cents Canadian to American dollar.

It was winter --I was visiting friends in Toronto, Canada I had arrived in SoCal warm clothes, hardly adequate for the Canadian winter but I made do until Boxing day - the day after Christmas when all stores have supper sales every thing related to winter is on sale at a greatly reduced price.

I purchased a tan "Canadian Duffel Coat" and immediately placed it on my cold California body-- and did it feel great!

I was standing out side a woman's clothing store waiting for my wife who was inside also taking advantage of the Boxing sale, when a Canadian gentleman joined me as is often the case when the lady folks are shopping.

Assuming I was a 100% Canadian who was wearing the national coat turned to me and stated "Those darn Americans look at the trash all around the mall." I noticed boxes, bags and all sorts of shopping debris and even people discarding their old clothes and putting on new recently purchased Canadian items. All I could safely respond under the circumstances was "Eh?" and lucky for me my wife arrived at that very moment and with out uttering anthing we departed poste haste.

That evening on Canadian news there was a snippet displaying the route to the border littered with discard boxes, bags, old clothes, etc.

The trash was blamed on Americans from upstate New York who came to Toronto, purchased items, put them on and discarded the old items along with the boxes along the route. The next morning TV news had more of the same as well as an article in the local news paper about the trash discarded by the Americans who had taken advantage of the bargains on Boxing day.

So it goes both ways... and now the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar. One would question that if some time in the future the Canadians will be traveling south to Buffalo and trashing American roads on the return trip?

sdm

Sounds like what our Home Depot in Imperial Beach looks like all the time---same with the closest Wal-Marts and Costcos----people from south of the border---guess maybe trash can one of those situational situations.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.