Author: Subject: missing boater
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 10:35 AM
missing boater

Copyright 2004 Associated Press
All Rights Reserved

The Associated Press State & Local Wire

These materials may not be republished without the express written consent of The Associated Press

March 31, 2004, Wednesday, BC cycle

SECTION: State and Regional

LENGTH: 206 words

HEADLINE: Missing Mexico-bound sailor may have gone wrong way from LA

DATELINE: LOS ANGELES

BODY:
A boater missing for three weeks since departing for Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, may have sailed in the wrong direction, Coast Guard officials said Wednesday.

Jebediah Cross, 25, was believed to have left San Pedro in Los Angeles Harbor alone on a 27-foot white sailboat, possibly on March 8. But that boat was spotted sometime between March 13 and March 15 by a park ranger on Anacapa Island, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Dave Hardesty.

The island is about 60 miles north of San Pedro - the opposite direction from where Cross was supposed to be heading.

Hardesty said the sighting by the park ranger was the last time the boat was seen. The Coast Guard extended its broadcasts on marine channels about Cross north to Morro Bay in San Luis Obispo County.

Cross, whose family recently moved to California from Idaho, had taken three classes last month at the Santa Barbara Sailing Center. He had earned certification with the American Sailing Association but the facility's owner said Cross did not have the training needed for the one- to two-week trip to the southern tip of Baja California.

Cross was sailing solo aboard the Quest Star 2, which has wood and bronze trim and bears the registration number CF9188EM.

LOAD-DATE: April 1, 2004

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 11:25 AM
bad deal for him and no body likes misfortune

well, that is except democrats......

anyway, this guy is a shoe in for next years Darwin Awards if he really did navigate the wrong way!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 02:31 PM

Very sad, if it's true. There is something very fishy about this story if you ask me. How could someone think they are headed south with the coastline on your right? Huh? :light:
Bob H
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 03:16 PM
Your compassion never ceases to amaze me, Mike.

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
well, that is except democrats......

anyway, this guy is a shoe in for next years Darwin Awards if he really did navigate the wrong way!!

When the goin' gets tough, the wierd turn pro
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 04:25 PM

With thousands of solo sea miles under my belt I can tell you it is very easy to become disoriented in a small boat EVEN within sight of land.

This guy may deserve a Darwin award but not for his lack of navigation skills. Instead it would be his decision to tackle the ocean after just a few rudamentary sailing lessons.

Sailing alone in big seas scare the bejesus out of me. That, and Mexican drivers.:O

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-7-2004 at 09:10 AM
watch out Dave.... Steph will think

that you're insensitive like me!! :lol::rolleyes::smug:

Steph, come on....it's only a little humour. i do feel bad for his family, but if i do something REALLY DUMB that gets me killed, i expect no one to mourn my loss. God's justice is swift and blind.....ditto mother natures. I can't begin to tell you how many people i peeed off cause i grounded my plane due to weather or maintenance before or during a pleasure trip, but it saved some lives.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2004 at 07:30 PM

Shoot Mike, that is because as pilots we learned that we were responsible for our own actions and not some idiot sitting behind a desk that was supposed to tell us when we could and could not go.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.