BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Observation after recent trip south.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 4-2-2004 at 01:24 PM
Observation after recent trip south.

We saw something in Baja we had never seen before. A portable (flatbed mounted) car crusher working a pile of rusted/busted autos next to the highway in San Quintin.

The price of scrap steel has risen about 300% in last year primarily because of China and its expanding economy. The price of all steel is also going thru a bit of a crisis right now. The general public is not really aware of it as it is not widely reported in the media except for those in the trades (like me) that deal with manufacturing.

Wouldn?t it be nice if as a consequence of this was that all of the junk metal was crushed up and removed??

I hope so.
:)

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 03:28 PM
Not Just In Baja

Heck....we could use that thing here in Ramona!

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 03:29 PM

Yes it would! Very interesting. If you fly over the TJ area, as I have many times, you will see hundreds of junk yards just like the ones in SQ. Maybe they all will be recycled. ;)
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 04:17 PM

For years there was a curve going south as you approach GN that had a Stack of "Crunched Cars". Virginia and I named it "Crunched Car Curve",I noticed on my recent trip that they had been removed.
for several years after the road opened there would be piles of rusted Cans,since the Deposit on Cans came about, it has been cleaned up by the Locals,who gather the cans and turn in for Propane!

The Prop from Ed Tabors's B-25 ended it up on a Junkers Truck headed for San Diego{he wanted $80 and I did not buy it as money was short!}

It would look good as a Memory for the old "Flying Sportsman" in Loreto.
Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 05:13 PM

Good stuff Skeet, Keep it coming.:saint:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-2-2004 at 05:43 PM
steel scrap in LABay

This morning at our weekly meeting of my steel company partners I showed a foto I took last week in BOLA of a sign "Se compra metal"
In back was a guy and a woman sorting scrap, one of my partners just shook his head and said he was amazed at how it would pay to ship that stuff clear North from LABay.... however, you are correct, steel retail prices as well as scrap are right through the roof these days, and getting worse. Try to buy a load at wholesale to fill gaps in your inventory, no es posible...

Baja Arriba!!
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 09:38 PM

Just look at the price of any metal..... especially copper. wire. aluminum. boats.

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 10:10 PM

""Crunched Car Curve" Skeet, I remember that spot. It was there for years. I noticed it was gone a few years ago and I just thought they had finally cleaned it up. Kinda like the cases of broken coke bottles alongside the highway. Another thing I always wonder about is how they keep the candle burning in some of those little shrines for the accident victoms along the road. Some of them are a long way from the nearest town. I love Hector's Truck shrine. Still lots of little mystories along Baja One......

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2006 at 10:18 PM
Metal for Chinese Junks?

er, I mean Wal-Mart junk.
Do they have stuff with metal in it?:coolup::coolup::lol::lol:
Yea last June they were hauling off lots of scrap and cars in the new Pemex area north of Sta. Rosalia.

How are metals of mass dealt with. Like the Stock Exchange here?

Hey Me No, I see your past has been reinstated. Love the status, gets attention.:lol::lol:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 02:29 AM

Wasnt this thread started in 2004?

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

Hey Me No, I see your past has been reinstated. Love the status, gets attention.:lol::lol:

You mean Banned.:lol: Some would probably still prefer it that way, but Doug is kind.

Posting in Kino Bay, cold windy, and rainy. Two nights ago we could see across to BOLA to what must have been one heck of a sand storm. It took two hours for the waves to hit us, the wind took two more.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 10:24 AM

Personally, I like the newer version of MeNo, kinder and gentler Minnow.
And, note the date on the MeNo post, still back a few years.
And yes, Doug is kind and Minnow can be as well.
Welcome back (think I already said that a month ago, but twice never hurts)
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 10:30 AM

Thanks Bajarunner, I did not expect that. Feliz aņo nuevo.

I have looked into your history as well. You are A true baja afishinado. spelling intended. See you on the road.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2006 at 10:35 AM

igualmente, hermano

:yes::yes::yes:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.