Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lug Nut Remover--Harbor Freight
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 12:32 PM
Lug Nut Remover--Harbor Freight

Does any one have any experience or knowledge of the Harbor Freight "Pittsburg" Brand torque multipiler "Lug Nut Remover"

It is advertised to multply the torque at a ratio of 33:1 yet is very compact, fits in the glove box or under the seat.

Current advertised price is $17.99 hard earned Yankee Dollars, but regularly $29.99 hard earned Yankee Dollars.

What say you????
sdm
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 12:39 PM
Similar...

I use a similar device / tool for removing the rear axle nut from our 1968 RCA Formula V race car (early VW components). It is a different manufacturer, I imagine, and very slightly different than the HF model, but basically the same principal and design. Ours works like a charm. It is way less expensive, much smaller, and more convenient than a 6 foot breaker bar ! !

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 01:36 PM

Careful! Have snapped a lug bolt or two. A little lube can make a big difference.:bounce:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 03:05 PM

The warning from Cypress is for real-------we stripped 2 lug nuts trying to remove a wheel with a flat tire on the road to San Francisquito from BOLA--------finally had to chisel them off with a big single-jack hammer and a cold chisel. The lug bolts held up, tho. We then had to borrow 2 nuts from other wheels ending up with one nut short on two wheels until we could replace them in town.

A little WD-40 and some patience works better, I am thinking. NEVER, and I mean NEVER, use the wrong size lug wrench-------make sure it fits the nut snugly before applying any pressure. Stripped lug nuts can ruin your day.

barry
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 03:12 PM

Being the seasoned traveler Dean is, I am sure he is aware of the need for lube. I take my lugs that get wet off each year and coat the studs in marine bearing grease. I find it works much better than the anti-seize dope from Permatex.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 03:16 PM

And some lug nuts you encounter in mexico are reverse threaded on opposite sides of the car like the old dodge A-100 mopar vans in the 60's.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 04:50 PM

The hot tip is to check the lug nuts to see if they will come off before you go to Baja. It is a lot more fun to have problems in your driveway than in the boondocks.
Please don't ask me how I know.:lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 05:18 PM

Folks, I know how to tighten lug nuts, change a tire, make Tacocs, and all sorts of things...But thanks for your responses..I do appreciate them and your concern

My question is related to the Harbor Freight tool called surprisingly "Lug nut remover."

Any one have one or used one?
(except djh who has a professional model)

sdm
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 05:42 PM

torque mulipliers are common tools that work very well. with harbor freight you have about a 50% chance that their tool will work as expected.check the price on one from sears or some other name brand tool, then take your bet shot.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 05:49 PM

Dean...just tried to find a thread on this lug remover, but did not. Just thought of gorilla wrench...maybe it is under that?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 06:05 PM

That is not the one that was recommended on the off road thread...but one from Harbor fright was recommended...as I remember...I do have CRS though...:lol:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 06:08 PM

Yep! thats tha ONE!

I agree that with Harbor Freight you take your chances.. They are indeed the disposalable tool company.

Every thing made in China...but what isn't--including some perhaps the majority of the Sears tools.

Any one have one?

Your experience with it?.... Mal Bon? Mal Grin?
(Or however it is written in Latin)
sdm
mel

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 02:40 PM

If everything else fails you can try this!

SK Man Hurts Himself Trying to Loosen Lug Nut -- With a Shotgun

A 66-year-old man shot himself in both his legs Saturday afternoon while trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut with a 12-gauge shotgun.

Kitsap County sheriff's deputies were called to the residence on the 10800 block of SE Olympiad Drive at 2:57 p.m. after the shooting was reported to 911 emergency dispatchers, said Deputy Scott Wilson, a sheriff's office spokesman.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue medics treated the man at the scene. He was taken to Tacoma General Hospital. Wilson said his injuries were "severe but not life-threatening."

Deputies at the scene reported the man blasted "double-ought" buckshot at the wheel from "arm's length," Wilson said.

The deputies described the man's legs as "peppered" from his feet to his mid-abdomen with pellets, pieces of the wheel and other debris. Some injuries went as far up as his chin.

The man had been repairing the Lincoln Continental for two weeks, and had removed all the lug nuts on the right rear wheel except for one.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said, who did not know how long the man had been trying to free the lug nut.

The deputies did not take a statement from the man beyond what they were able to gather while he was being treated by medics.

"I don't think he was in any condition to say anything," Wilson said. "The pain was so severe, and the shock."
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 04:01 PM

Did that loosen it?

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 04:15 PM

Which nut?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.