Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja Boat & Shipwrecks
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 10:14 PM
Baja Boat & Shipwrecks

Here's a shot of an old shipwreck we found while kayaking along the Baja coast - Can you guess where?

Do you have any great Baja shipwreck photos to share? Let's see 'em!

:bounce::o:bounce:

greg

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by gringorio]

BajaShipWreck1.jpg - 43kB

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 11:00 PM
Punta Banda New Years week

Quote:
Originally posted by gringorio

Do you have any great Baja shipwreck photos to share? Let's see 'em!

greg

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 11:12 PM
Another.

"Crazy Annies" in Bahia.

P<*)))><

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 11:24 PM

What a shame about that trawler...

The Minnow was across from Gecko, I first saw it at least 15 years ago? Wasn't there a guy living in it or another boat that died from eating a Puffer fish?

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 11:31 PM

PUNTA FINAL,LOST SHIP!!!

boat punta final.JPG - 43kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior

The Minnow was across from Gecko, I first saw it at least 15 years ago? Wasn't there a guy living in it or another boat that died from eating a Puffer fish?

Here's a photo of the back of Annie's boat, circa 1981. The story I was told is that Annie bought the boat from Papa Diaz, had it moved over on a high tide, set up on the beach. She and her boyfriend were going to live there, but never returned.

P<*)))><

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 12:07 AM

Boats are small enough to be transposted on a ship...so far all that has been displayed is boat wrecks..

Recall this post from several years ago;DIVING- HUSSONG- COLUMBIA- TREASURE-HISTORY

"It no secret to most "vintage" divers that Hussong's was once a divers hang out. In the 1950 & the early 1960s it was a place that was "Muy Tranquillo." The music was Strauss Viennese walzes played by a group of locals in the corner. The Maggies were huge, served with a glass and the container they were mixed in (at least to the divers) -a few sips and the Cantina was transformed into another time and another place.

Walter Hussong who (I think) was Percy's son was a very knowldgeable experienced pioneer diver and a darn good one. It was only narural that divers of the 1950s and early 1960s would check in on the way south to check on conditions or on the way back to the states to report on the diving.

Walter and Bill Hogan who owned the Underwater Sports shop in Long Beach, California, teamed up in 1956 to salvage what silver remained in the Columbia which was in 200 plus feet of water in or near the La Paz harbor. (To place this in perspective self contained (aka SCUBA) diving was only five (5) years old in the US, equipment was rudimentary crude and dangerous use and unheard of in most of Mexico)

They dove it every day for a month returning with nothing but the ships bell which Bill located 50 feet from the wreck. They "did not find the silver" = and "were poverty stricken."

HOWEVER, There is an epilog to this tale..

With in a year of returning Bill managed to purchase two large lots at the base of the Belmont pier in Long Beach and establish a huge dive operation including one of the first training pools. He then divorced his wife, concurrently losing the dive operation in the process to her. Next he established a "Divers Bar" called "Hogans" which he gave away more than he sold, In about 1960-1 (?) he packed up and moved to Costa Rica where he remarried, raised a daughter and lived the life of a gentleman famer for most of the remainder of his years, departing to to the big reef in the sky about thre years ago--But--- He "never found the treasure of the Columbia."

Walter on the other hand was living the good life in Ensenada. He was aways at the bar always avaliable to drop every thing if he recognized you to "talk diving." However, the good life caused his demise--He was killed out side a bar on the mainland--but Walter also maintained -- "never found the treasure of the Columbia."

That was a ship that was wrecked and sunk.

sdm
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Boats are small enough to be transposted on a ship...so far all that has been displayed is boat wrecks..

sdm

:yes: Now that we all stand so righfully :lol: corrected, this thread was about photos to share. Do you have any SHIP/BOAT wreck photos to add?

Talk about taking the wind out of our sails. ;)

P<*)))><

Edit: to play with the smiley faces. Too bad there's not a yawning one for crusty old farts.

[Edited on 31-1-2008 by Paulina]

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 12:47 AM

Remember this one

Mexico%20trip%20010.jpg - 30kB
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 06:05 AM

Yes - I have some of my own photos of this, but not handy. Here's another shot.

Within one day, the taco stands had been set up, and the beach party was going on on the beach west of where Home Depot is now.

At 880 feet, maybe this qualifies as a ship?

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by Roberto]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 06:19 AM

This was near Cuatros Casas. I think it was about 1992 or so. I hear it's only a few scraps of metal now:

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 07:00 AM

The wreck of the ferry Salvatierra sits in about 60 fsw in the La Paz channel between the mainland and Isla Espiritu Santo. It has made a GREAT divesite for decades, overgrown with fans and corals and loaded with fish life. It has lots of black coral, which is a little unusual for the Sea of Cortez in my experience. Here is a photo of a longnosed hawkfish in black coral on the wreck I took about 20 years ago. This is almost too much trivia for one post, but black coral is yellow when it is alive:

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by Ken Bondy]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 07:29 AM
then and now

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
This was near Cuatros Casas. I think it was about 1992 or so. I hear it's only a few scraps of metal now:

the "Isla del Carmen" RIP..... we first saw her with nary a bird poop on her deck in the mid-late eighties.

100_2276 (Small) (Small).jpg - 28kB

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 08:52 AM

These are all great shots and stories! There's somthing powerful in photos of wrecked ships in the ocean - the power of the wind and water is truly amazing... :o:bounce:

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Yes - I have some of my own photos of this, but not handy. Here's another shot.

Within one day, the taco stands had been set up, and the beach party was going on on the beach west of where Home Depot is now.

At 880 feet, maybe this qualifies as a ship?

[Edited on 1-31-2008 by Roberto]

Never seen this. Just amazing! How on earth, fully loaded did they get this so far in. What a screw up!

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 06:43 PM
This boat has seen better days

Marina_Palmyra_Jan21,2007.jpg - 42kB

I think the world is run by C- students.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 06:50 PM

Gadget - believe it or not, they missed the harbor! :lol::lol:

Well, not quite. They timed the entry wrong, the pilot wasn't there, they tide was coming in, before they knew it they were in shallow water, and after a couple days, they were on the beach!

Took over a month or two (at least) to get it off, too. They unloaded the containers, dredged the beach with a fancy dredger, used 4-5 specialized tugs, with multiple hydraulic winches, were in danger of splitting the hull ... you get the picture. All this equipment had to be brought in special from around the globe.

I lost track after a while, but there was discussion that the ship would be salvage.

The whole amazing story (in photos) is here:
http://photos.signonsandiego.com/gallery1.5/beachedship

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by Roberto]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 07:15 PM

http://www.cargolaw.com/2006nightmare_apl_panama.html

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

sad.gif posted on 1-31-2008 at 07:17 PM
mexican tragedy..... (redundant)

it seems a south wind will disable even the nimblest of craft.....

SPOT X.....

[Edited on 2-1-2008 by woody in ob]

DSC_0105 (Small) (Small).JPG - 29kB

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 07:39 PM

Thanks Roberto, I can't believe I hadn't seen that. Seems like the arrogant Captain had to look for another career.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.