Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I know I am new
Desertsurfergal
Junior Nomad

Mood: wishful..for Baja

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 10:33 PM
I know I am new

Hey All, Thank God!!! a site who can hopefully answer my questions!!! I have been looking and reading all of your posts for the last two months. I have as of July of 07' for the first time drove to Ensenada from Lake Havasu Arizona to camp and surf. We had absolutley no problems. We are planning to camp and surf all the places in between and would love to drive to Scorpion Bay in the future. I am reading some disturbing posts of recent thefths and assults. I depend on veteran Baja people to clarify if it's still O.K. to travel down South.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 10:54 PM

Welcome, I still drive to Baja, the only difference now Im more aware of my surroundings,and always watch where I stay, and I don't drive at night. If you check my thread in the Matomi trip,you will see that alot nomads still fell confortable,visiting Baja,so you are invited to join, if you wish.

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 11:01 PM

Drive during the day only and if you drive at night go with a caravan of people.

My family is from Rosarito . We go back to the 40s in Rosarito and its sure changed since then.
Dont be flashy with big shiny trucks, that will get you in trouble hate to say it but its true right now. Good luck and rip it up on the waves....

READY SET.....................
Desertsurfergal
Junior Nomad

Mood: wishful..for Baja

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 11:09 PM

Thank You. Yes We have traveled during the day. If that's the key we'll still do that. For the truck...1993 old school red(I know...ugh! but faded and old 93' rebuilt engine.. suppose they don't know). I am aware you should not flash...but can't help the faded red.

\"Life\'s a journey, not a destination...\" Aerosmith
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 07:51 AM

DSG....

Welcome to BajaNomad. Sounds like you're off to a good start with your attitude and vehicle. Just stay vigilant, don't drive at night, keep your speed down and, most of all, don't be consumed with worry. That will ruin a good trip.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 08:33 AM

i would try to avoid camping the areas between san jose and san quintin unless you have a large crowd with you or you stay in a camp ground. camp next to other campers if you can and haveing a dog helps. there have been a few crimes at gun point in these areas and its better to be safe then sorry.:cool:
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 08:40 AM

From a newbie to a newbie, I too am thankful for this site. I took all of 2007 off to spent some quality time with Pops 79 years young, and uncle. I must have traveled to San Quintin at least 10 times last year, and never had any trouble. Some people up north just have nothing positive to say about the Baja. Freak'en haters. For them, stay up north, and as my wife says more for me.

About surfing, I have a place in El Socorro, and see many surfers camp there. Really small campsite. You may want to add it to your to do list. If you don't want to camp my compadre Fernando has a house you can rent, sleeps 4 I think he charges $60us a night. I'm sure I'm not the only Nomad there. The locals there will welcome you.

Hope you find many perfect waves.

Tony
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 09:12 AM

Hey surfergal...welcome to the whacky, wonderful nomad world! We live in mid baja in a fishing/surf village a bit north of Scorpion Bay. It is very safe in these parts and you can camp right at the break here safely...of course I wouldn't leave a digital camera out in the open in a deserted camp...(a gringo might steal it:spingrin:) we have a really cool local surf club here made up of kids of all ages who both compete and are learning to surf...and they are keen to welcome new amigos here and share their knowledge of the area (where to surf and where to avoid the rocks, currents etc.) so maybe one day you will come and visit us and meet the locals.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 09:27 AM

I agree, don't drive at night. Enjoy Baja the people are great and the fish tacos are even better :lol::lol::lol:
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 10:06 AM

We will be heading to Shari's in Asunsion in early March, 10 of us. We have no qualms about the safety as we will travel in daytime only. From San Felipe to El Rosario, to Asunsion.From there to Guerro Negro, to Gonzaga Bay & back home to San Felipe. YUP up the old dirt roads, been there many times!
meme
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by meme
We will be heading to Shari's in Asunsion in early March, 10 of us. We have no qualms about the safety as we will travel in daytime only. From San Felipe to El Rosario, to Asunsion. From there to Guerrero Negro, to Gonzaga Bay & back home to San Felipe. YUP up the old dirt roads, been there many times!
meme

Did you ever get a confirmation from Baja Cactus? BajaRob was there a few days ago, and said Antonio was there... The motel's phone number is on the web page: http://www.bajacactus.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.