Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On the road to Las Animas
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-3-2004 at 06:30 PM
On the road to Las Animas

Baja Vida and I cruised down to Animas last week to check it out. The first 25 miles out of LABay were very fast.... through wonderful green country. Cardon forests to die for, and lots of intermingled greenery from all the rain this year. The best cardons I have seen except those another 50 miles South between El Arco and San Francisquito.
The 15 miles in to Animas were rougher but very passable. Lots of 'pin-striping' on the sides of the vehicles, but well worth the drive.
We were thinking that next year we might camp out there with towed in boats, but this drive showed that it would be most impractical to trailer boats down the last stretch... not good!
Only a couple of campers were there, and they were seriously unfriendly, we waved, they would not even look up from whatever they were doing.
Sort of strange, given the likelihood that we were the only drive in visitors on the day. (did we hear the faint chords of "Dueling Banjos??"
Anyway, it was a lovely beach, fast moving tides coming at us up the little estuary, several pangas in sight, but no panga drivers around.
Lovely, remote place, well worth the drive from LABay to see it.
Especially when the cardons are so fresh and green...

Baja Arriba!!
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2004 at 05:20 PM

Bajarunner when were you in Animas ? I was there on Monday 3-29. I know what campers you are talking about it had to be the same ones. I waived too and got no reply from them. It seemed strange. We ended up at bahia san rafael before turning back to la bay. I'll give a full report in a few days...Paul
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2004 at 08:15 PM
animas

tuna.... I think we were there on Wed. March 24 but I could be off one day or the other.... too many Pacificos..
maybe Baja Vida can help with the date (but he had more Pacificos than I, for sure)
anyway, it was definitely not the "Baja Feeling" that you usually get, at least a wave and a smile,,,,,, NADA!!
Oh well, that is what Baja is all about, doing your thing..
In fact, after reading all the posts following my "Dirty Cops" post I guess the main reason to go there is that there are no laws or rules.... just an observation.
Animas was pretty, not sure it is worth the slog down there to camp, La Gringa was equally good, and more friendly, even those at whom we fired frequent rockets and missiles.

Baja Arriba!!
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 08:16 AM
The campers at Las Animas must have been from LA.

Used to live there myself.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 04:55 PM
SoCal man

Baja Vida, your SoCal heritage is one of the few negatives that I have concerning you, and you have truly overcome that deficient part of your upbringing.
NorCal lives!!!

Baja Arriba!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 08:41 PM

I have heard more negative than positive with regards to Animas. BUT, if you shoot down a bit further to Playa San Rafael, I guarantee that Pancho will treat you well.

I'll be there for a few days in mid-May.

Zac

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.