Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Invitation
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 09:30 PM
Invitation

For the past month my brother-in-law Gary Powell and I have had 24 of our underwater images on exhibit at the Museum of Natural History in Morro Bay. They will be there through March, maybe longer. On Saturday, February 23 at 1 pm Gary and I will give a presentation on the techniques we used to make the photos, including a PowerPoint slide show, and a display and discussion of our diving and camera equipment. I know it's not Baja, but it would sure be fun if any Nomads are in the neighborhood and could drop by and spend some time with us. As an added bonus, Nomads Paulina and Dern will be there and are looking forward to seeing any Nomads who can make it. The museum sits on a breathtaking site in the State Park, just south of the town. The talk should last about an hour, maybe a little more. No pressure, but if any of you can make it we would love to meet you in person.

++Ken++
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 10:54 PM

We are looking forward to it!!

I want to mention Morro Bay State park campground is directly across from the museum. It has been recently refurbished and would be a great spot to set up camp if anyone wanted to make it a weekend trip. I guess you could hotel it too, but camping would be more "baja-ish".

Hope to see a few of you there,
P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
EMAM
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 02:23 AM

Sounds like a great litte expo, I wish we could make it, but will be heading down to Baja:spingrin:

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
Wandering around North America in search of that Next Beautiful Scene
http://www.everymilesamemory.com
bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 12:12 PM

How cool, thanks for the info. I'm a couple hours north, but with such good advanced notice, maybe I can figure something out. Sounds very interesting.

Bajaboolie
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 07:48 PM

I'm going to shamelessly bump this :)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 09:38 AM

Never been to Morro Bay, Ken... How long do you think it would take to drive there from Oceanside? Oceanside to Santa Barbara is about 3 hrs., I think? Would love to see the exhibit, meet you, party with Dern, Paulina and other Nomads...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 10:02 AM

David

It takes me a little over 3 hours from Calabasas in the southwest San Fernando Valley to Morro Bay. Santa Barbara to Morro Bay is about 2 hours. So I would estimate 5 hours between Morro Bay and Oceanside. That, of course, assumes no serious traffic. Morro Bay is a delightful little resort town so you could make a weekend out of it. Hearst Castle is only about 30 miles north and this is a GREAT time for seeing elephant seals on the San Simeon beaches, all within about a half-hour drive of Morro Bay. I hope you can make it.
++Ken++
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 09:28 AM

Bumping.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 11:03 AM

I should have pointed out that this is a GREAT time to see the big herds of northern elephant seals on the San Simeon beaches, only about a half-hour drive north of Morro Bay. There are lots of pups, males sparring, all the behaviors. And you can get VERY close with the viewing setups the State has built.
++Ken++
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 01:13 PM

Congratulations on the exhibit Ken! That is really exciting. Do you have any of your images online for those of us that cannot make the trip up to Morro Bay?

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Congratulations on the exhibit Ken! That is really exciting. Do you have any of your images online for those of us that cannot make the trip up to Morro Bay?

Thanks Geoff. I've been fiddling with Flickr, it's pretty addictive. I've posted lots of photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenbondy/

++Ken++

[Edited on 2-5-2008 by Ken Bondy]
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 03:24 PM

Ken,

Congrats on the Show.

So to home!

I regret that Mrs Miller and I will be heading Towards Mexico on the 15th

sdm
bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 11:57 AM

Hey, just took a look at some of your pictures. Fabulous! They're really great pictures, and very inspiring. Thanks for the post.

Bajaboolie
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 12:56 PM

Ken,
Do you know my Father-in-law, Elwyn Gates, developer of Gates Underwater Camera housings, which he owned and operated for 30 years and otherwise diving guru of SoCal. He was the President of the San Diego Underwater Photographic Society for several years in the 80s.

He is in the South Pacific, Figi, somewhere on a dive boat as I write. Being married to his daughter is like marrying into the Cousteau family. He has amazing still and video footage.

Sorry for the mini hijack on your thread :biggrin:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 01:15 PM

Ken, I think My wife and I can make it. Sounds like a fun outing.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 05:08 PM

Ken et al, Looking forward to your exhibit and to meeting some other nomads. I live in Santa Margarita, about 30 minutes from Morro Bay. If some of the nomads are into fresh water fishing I would suggest camping at Santa Margarita Lake. Paul Boe

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 09:57 PM

Congrats! Love your photos and am sure they will be well received. I always look forward to your posts.

Regrets on the invitation, now back in PDX

Iflyfish
barngal

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 11:26 PM

Ken
Planning on being there for the presentation and seeing more of your wonder pictures. Have been lurking for a few years and thought it's time to post a Howdy and come meet a few of the people I read so much about here.
I will someday get brave enough to post some of my Baja pictures.

See you on February 23 at 1:00
With my Husband, Daughter and Grandson
barngal Pam
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 07:34 AM

would love to make it ken but i have snow to plow. good luck.:cool:

2008 storm 002.jpg - 44kB
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Do you know my Father-in-law, Elwyn Gates, developer of Gates Underwater Camera housings, which he owned and operated for 30 years and otherwise diving guru of SoCal. He was the President of the San Diego Underwater Photographic Society for several years in the 80s. ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have known Elwyn Gates for most of those 30 plus years. His U/W camera housings are top of the line.
He use to have a world class collection of antique UW camera housings...worth a visit for any one interested in UW photography.
Regards to you and Elwyn,
SDM
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.