Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sierra de San Pedro Martir, snowpack
Geothermal-Shane
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 11:07 AM
Sierra de San Pedro Martir, snowpack

I am very curious to know to what extent the Sierra de San Pedro Martir has recieved snowfall this winter so far.

If anybody has had a good look from the San Felipe Desert or has actually been up on the plateau please let me know how the conditions appear.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 01:36 PM

As far as I know they close the Park throught out the Winter. And the webcam has not been alot help ither.

View from Mirador EL ALTAR. SPM

DSC02029.JPG - 49kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Geothermal-Shane
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 01:57 PM

I did not know that...?...based on the current condidtions at the northern tip of the peninsular cordillera(i.e. San Jacinto Mountains) I would guess that there may be a foot or two of snow sitting on the plateau above 2000 meters/6800 feet. However, it is hard to say if the Alaskan cold fronts responsible for So. Cal's recent winter storms have made it that far south.
Either way, I hope for a verdant spring in the Martir this year!

Also- where is Mirador El Altar? Looks like the view from the eastern edge of the plateau somewhere.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 02:18 PM

Park is open all winter. The main road to observatory is kept open all year long, as observatory is occupied/used all year long.
Snow pack on lower (western) parts of the plateau are about similar (maybe slightly more) to the higher parts of the Lagunas here in San Diego county, it comes/goes, but significant cover usually doesn't stay long; however, north facing slopes and canyons of higher elevations on east side of plateau do have some longer-term snow pack/ice in winter.
Getting info on current conditions is difficult. If you speak spanish, you may try calling the park or observatory offices in Ensenada -- google them to find tele numbers. The observatory website has a webcam and current and historical met. data for the telescopes, which is useful sometimes (but often offline). http://www.astrossp.unam.mx/indexspm.html
I have visited there many times in late winter and early spring -- and found it best to realize that forecasts here are unreliable, and best to come equipped for snow, rain and dry conditions, and if prepared for any conditions you'll enjoy the conditions you find. Always be prepared for nights below freezing, and if climbing high peaks, you can encounter severe weather any day of the year, so travel high peaks with same precautions you would take for high Sierras in CA. :o:o:o
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 02:19 PM

El Mirador EL ALTAR is to the south of the Observatory, Also Mirador PICACHO is to the south of EL ALTAR, with a view of DIABLO MOUNTAIN.

Link for webcam for SPMhttp://132.248.4.10/~observa/simon/

Picacho del Diablo.JPG - 50kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:08 PM

Laguna hanson ( Sierra Juarez).

Parque Nacional.JPG - 49kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:09 PM

Pic#2

laguna Hanson snow day 061.JPG - 47kB

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Park is open all winter. The main road to observatory is kept open all year long, as observatory is occupied/used all year long.
Snow pack on lower (western) parts of the plateau are about similar (maybe slightly more) to the higher parts of the Lagunas here in San Diego county, it comes/goes, but significant cover usually doesn't stay long; however, north facing slopes and canyons of higher elevations on east side of plateau do have some longer-term snow pack/ice in winter.
Getting info on current conditions is difficult. If you speak spanish, you may try calling the park or observatory offices in Ensenada -- google them to find tele numbers. The observatory website has a webcam and current and historical met. data for the telescopes, which is useful sometimes (but often offline). http://www.astrossp.unam.mx/indexspm.html
I have visited there many times in late winter and early spring -- and found it best to realize that forecasts here are unreliable, and best to come equipped for snow, rain and dry conditions, and if prepared for any conditions you'll enjoy the conditions you find. Always be prepared for nights below freezing, and if climbing high peaks, you can encounter severe weather any day of the year, so travel high peaks with same precautions you would take for high Sierras in CA. :o:o:o
Well thats great news, last time I was there the park director,toll me the close the park in the winter,because of the road conditions,they don't want any accidents..I wonder if it is way to be certain for sure.

DSC01916.JPG - 48kB

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:40 PM

Here is a photo of the snow covered Sierra San Pedro Martir on President's Day weekend 2001, taken by Amo Pescar while driving south in Valle Chico towards Matomi...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Geothermal-Shane
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:42 PM

Thanks for thr replies...I've only been out there once but that was enough to assert the drastic unpredictability of this place...we spent our first night along the road to La Tasajera(just above 8000 feet) and stunningly found the temperature around 22 degrees F by midnight- in the middle of September! Two nights later we camped at about 9200 feet, just below Scout Peak, and the temperature never dipped lower than 40 degrees F.
Certainly, there is no other choice in the Sierra de San Pedro Martir other than total preperation for the unknown- it's truly still a wild place, hardly intersected by mankind.

I've heard snow can linger up there as late as May, anybody have thoughts on this presumtion?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:46 PM

I highly recommend this book if you want to increase you knowledge of the San Pedro Martir!

Go to http://grahammackintosh.com if you are interested...

[Edited on 2-3-2008 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Geothermal-Shane
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 04:06 PM

Thanks David-
I'm gonna guess the prominent peaks on the left of the photo by Amo Pescar are Tres Palomas?
Either way- Beautiful!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 04:26 PM

That ridge is just south of Diablo...

Geothermal-Shane
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 04:36 PM

Frightening..that is, to imagine being up there at this very moment!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geothermal-Shane
Thanks for thr replies...I've only been out there once but that was enough to assert the drastic unpredictability of this place...we spent our first night along the road to La Tasajera(just above 8000 feet) and stunningly found the temperature around 22 degrees F by midnight- in the middle of September! Two nights later we camped at about 9200 feet, just below Scout Peak, and the temperature never dipped lower than 40 degrees F.
Certainly, there is no other choice in the Sierra de San Pedro Martir other than total preperation for the unknown- it's truly still a wild place, hardly intersected by mankind.

I've heard snow can linger up there as late as May, anybody have thoughts on this presumtion?

We've had snow flurries and 18 degrees in June even! But its not likely you'll get much snow hanging around very long after April.
New Year's Day 1999 we went camping up there--about a foot or two of snow in the shaded canyons but lots of bare ground to camp on. The road and park were open. Even went sledding down one slope! 50 degs during the day and around 25 degs at night. The growth rings on the trees up there are very symmetrical owing to the fact that the temperatue is fairly similar year-round.
The bad years to go would be the heavy El Nino years--more rain, less snow--in 1993 the road was all washed out on top, stranding the observatory crew for 60 days. Some of the meadows still bear the scars of that year.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 05:53 PM

Lost of posts.................but still no answer to your original question.

BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 09:09 PM
we'll be there in about 2 weeks

we will post a report when we return

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaVida
we will post a report when we return

Quote:

Ok Bajavida, that means that you can find out for sure, if the park is open during winter.

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 09:32 PM

We have been going out to the valley somewhere almost every Friday since October and have only seen snow once but don't remember what month. I can see the mountain from my house and didn't see any snow this week even with the binoculars. There may be some on the west side but I would think if there is, we should see some from here.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 11:47 AM

A few miles east of making the turn onto the Compadre trail off Mex 3 after the San Felipe 250 06'

[Edited on 2-4-2008 by Gadget]

reduced.JPG - 38kB

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.