Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: ixtapa zijuatanejo
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 11:46 AM
ixtapa zijuatanejo

anybody can give me some pointers on the area there?
places to stay etc.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 12:13 PM

mike
Zihuatanejo is absolutely delightful. A beautiful authentic Mexican town on a magnificent bay. Ixtapa is new, reminded me a lot of Cancun. There are many hotels on the bay, they all looked nice to me. We stayed at the Villa del Sol and loved it. Right on the beach, great service, great food, great everything. Pricey but excellent value. Zihuatanejo is hands down my favorite place on the mainland.

++Ken++
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 12:24 PM

mike both of these were taken from our room at the Villa del Sol in Zihuatanejo:

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 12:27 PM

mike I just noticed that Villa del Sol is now called The Tides Zihuatanejo. ++Ken++
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Not Los Delphines, that's for sure.
I'd head to Troncones for a much more laid back and cleaner water experience.
http://zihua.net/ lot's of Zihua lovers here.

http://www.zihuatanejo.net/ This guy's site has more cheerleaders and I don't think it is as good or factual as the other site.

Ditto on Troncones -- we first went there about ten years ago, and it's been built up some since, but I believe it's still preferable to Zihua (forget about Ixtapa -- all high rise hotels and wet t-shirt contests, which I guess is ok if you're into that sort of thing). Check out this place, right on Troncones Bay, a few hundred yards from the point where there may be an excellent left (if you're into that sort of thing) and where the in-house chef definitely rocks (again, if you're into that sort of thing): http://edenmex.com/

In the town of Troncones Beach there was a "deli" (the only place that had a refrigerated food case at the time) where they had a pig roast once a week. I also had my first fresh Coco Loco there -- owner's son shinnies up a palm treee, knocks off two fresh coconuts with a machete (nearly killing a guy walking beneath) runs them to the table, lops off the tops, and adds a couple of shots of Bacardi 151. Wow.

For lunch off the beaten path, there's a little palapa restaurant in a village a little less than a mile walk north of Eden, right on the water. Last time I was there, we spent a lazy afternoon eating oysters, drinking beer, and watching little kids chase pigs and cats around. Good times.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:18 PM
We stayed at....

La Quinta de Don Andres. Nice clean room with a separate bedroom and small kitchenette. It was about $60 night.

Our favorite restaurant was Rufo's, right bown the hill from Andres.

Enjoy your visit. We love it there.

I think the world is run by C- students.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:33 PM

thx All, can't wait. may be getting to use it as a mid point stop soon.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 03:40 PM
ken - is that

a private negative edge jacuzzi??
very nice...

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 05:06 PM

Mike,
We have stayed at the Las Brisas in Ixtapa. It is on a hillside all by itself with its own private beach. We did spend alot of time over Zijah, beautiful location. Do try to' get out fishing, a very good sailfish location.

I don't golf but if you do there are some nice courses, with alligators in the water hazards! Gives that term new meaning.

Along with Manzanillo it is our favorite Pacific Coast location in Mexico.

Have a good time.

Ken
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
a private negative edge jacuzzi??
very nice...

Precisely mike! We had a PRIVATE infinity jacuzzi. VERY nice feature :biggrin:
++Ken++
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 08:43 AM

Mike,
Try these friends of ours.

www.casadelasirena.net

http://www.casadelasirena.net

[Edited on 2-4-2008 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 09:05 AM

Another vote for Troncones...worth the trip even if you don't stay there.

http://www.casadelfinsonriente.com/delfin.htm
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 03:23 PM

wow, this is all so good. my dates are in the future and not confirmed, part of an adventure in the planning stage now. but exciting stuff here.
we want to go further on the golden coast than our current record of PV in south lattitude but as the ruta to Quintana Roo and then Honduras hopefully.

last time to yucatan we did the texas gulf route. so been there did that.
i want jungle!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 03:56 PM

Very neat pictures.:D I could actually afford to eat over in that area!:D
yates

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 01:36 PM
Troncones

I definitely recommend heading up the coast to Troncones.

Went there a couple of years ago and stayed at Quinta D'Liz (http://www.playatroncones.com/). Highly recommended.

My family (me, my husband, two teenagers) had more fun in Troncones than in Zihua. But, we do prefer to hang out on the beach ...

have a great trip!
davidre

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 09:47 PM
Restaurante PULPO In Santiago Ixtapa

Very Tardy, but for reference, on Mex 200 on the -west- side is a tiny roadside restaurant called "El Pulpo". Only open from about ten AM to 4PM, but they serve authentic comida casera and it is inexpensive. Even the tortillas are handmade. In downtown IXTAPA across the street from the US consulate is a wonderful place to breakfast. It is sort of hard to see from the street---much easier to enter the parking lot and head north a few hundred feet. It does however front the sidewalk very near the parking lot.
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 12:30 AM
You gotta make the trip to Barra de Potosi

It's right by the airport. Quaint little fishing village. Have lunch at one of the open air restaurants like Condesa. The hammocks are right next to the tables, so you can flop right into one. There's a fresh water lagoon behind the barra with mucho wildlife. The best place to stay there is Las Palmas. It's owned by a Phoenix Doctor and his wife, Scott Crawford. They're very interesting people. Don't fall in love with the land down there, lot's of messy ejido property and squatters. U2U me for more sordid details.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 09:13 AM

Looks like a great trip Mike!

We have enjoyed Barre de Navidad/ Melaque for many years.

Iflyfish
ejs

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 06:45 PM

All advice is correct, drive into Zhi for the day, big city, lots going on, but stay either north in Troncones (about 30 minutes and you drive past the supermarkets) or south, the last suggestion was a great one. No worries about pollution, beautiful, can not go wrong.

You will not want to stay in Ixtapa with the high rise hotels and made for tourist shops and bars.
CasaManzana
Nomad

Mood: Naykid

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 09:15 PM
More Zihua

All the above advice is good, however I think Troncones and Barra de Potosi is good for a day trip but to quiet to book many days there.
If you like Miami you will love Ixtapa.
The long beach you see on the right side is called La Ropa. The best place to stay to keep out of the late bar music and street noise. The Tides, the Irma and a dozen of great places to stay are on this beach. So is Paty's sandfloor restaurant- home of Zihua's best grilled tuna steak and best shrimp c-cktail

Besides our Baja casa we bought a condo on La Ropa beach with a great view as you can see. We rent it out when on the Baja- U2U me if interested.

In the mornings you can buy fish right out of the boats when they come in...........

Or in the huge Mercado Publico downtown-

The 5.5 peso bus is the best way to get around to anywhere, and especially to the 50-60 great restaurants there.....

Zihua is clean, slow-pased, the natives are friendly, the ZIH airport is first class and close and we have 4 good hospitals there...hard to beat!

Things are expensive, but at least we get a free trip around the sun once a year
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.