Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Santa Rosalia Prison
azvazquez
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 08:23 PM
Santa Rosalia Prison

I thought I heard a while back that you could take a tour of the Santa Rosalia prison and buy art work and trinkets from the prisoner. Was this just a bad dream or is this really possible? I’ll be down there around March 12th, and thought that it might be an interesting stop. Thanks
standingwave
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 09:09 PM
Buying jewelry at Santa Rosalia prison

I don't know about a tour. I do remember going there in 2002 with Shari and buying some jewelry - my favourite is this buckle which I wear everyday.

buckle.jpg - 38kB

\"I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea.\"
James Cook
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 12:13 AM

MAN, that's a nice buckle !!!!!!!!!

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 04:37 AM

I've been there a few times and there are some really talented artists there. Each time was a little different but there was always something I would have liked to buy. But of course, someone else usually got to it before I made the decision to buy. Go with friends that will go through the bargaining ritual. I always seen to have one or two ladies that would buy at any price. The fun is in the negotiations even if you don't speak any Spanish it raises the excitement level because they have to get someone to help. And of course he'll need an offering to represent you're interests. You might want to take some sodas for the guards or something to show your gratitude for letting you in. I haven't done this but it might be a good idea to go there and set up a time with the guards ahead of time. Oh, and take a camera so you can share it all with us.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 08:21 AM

Oh yeah, this is one of those "don't miss" experiences...what you do is put long pants on...tell the guard at the shack you want to buy artisania and they take you into the prison....my first time, I was told it was a little store...but what they do is they take you right into the prison...past the visitors area...they might search your bag...so don't take any recreational drugs in!!!:D or files, knives etc...so then they take you into the exercise yard and a guard announces your presence over the loudspeaker...then there is a rush of inmates running for their stuff and a dash to the wire fence which separates you from them...often the guys in front have better success...now...remember these poor souls need cash to buy stuff from the little store...food, cigs, pop etc....so please be generous...the stuff is cheap and some of it is very nice. If you aren't up for that, there is a cristian group who makes nice stuff too and you can go and meet them in the visitor area which is much calmer and nicer experience...The prison director is a terrific guy and a good friend of ours...Manuel Ayub is his name...tell him you are Juan Arce's amigo and you will get special treatment. It is a fascinating journey and one of baja's nicest prisons...small, well operated, fair..nice guards too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 08:25 AM

It is on the highway just south of Santa Rosalia and is called El Cereso. I have been there several times and I have mixed feelings about the experience. Russ is right that there are some great artists there and there are also some things that might best be described as primitive. It is basically how the prisoners are able to make money which they are allowed to spend in the cantina for those few extras that make life good. If you get clearance to get in to the prison, they announce to the prisoners that there are visitors and they come up to the staging area and compete for the chance to show you their wares. You can quickly see the pecking order establish itself by those who get to the front of the line. This is the part that I find a little depersonalized and dehumanizing. But I have noticed that the fervor seems to be a little less when there are only one or two people there, since the prisoners seem to understand that you might only be interested in a piece or two of work whereas with a group it is more like the atmosphere of a carnival or auction.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 08:27 AM

Terrific 'insider' info... makes Baja Nomad truly awesome!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 10:16 AM

Wife, I and another couple have went there one or two times for the last three years. It is a necessary experence if in the area. Never had to make an appointment, just show up. They make Baja maps made out of abalone,jewelry boxs, ear rings, key chains, and the list goes on. I hve a shark made out of cow horn on a stand, a dorado of wood, numerous polished ab shells with carvings and paintingsTry to not go around lunch time and be prepared to show passport of every person with you. They will hold them at guard shack till you come back out. Was just there last week. Be sure and barter as they love it and you can really get some good prices compared to a curio tienda

Never learned from a book-Only from mistakes, mine and yours
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 10:21 AM

Giving up your passport to a prison guard, going into a Mexican Prison, and then bartering with Mexican Banditos in the excersize yard for goods. :o:o:o:o:o

NOW THAT'S ADVENTURE TRAVEL FOLKS!

:lol::lol::cool::lol::lol::lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
You can quickly see the pecking order establish itself by those who get to the front of the line. This is the part that I find a little depersonalized and dehumanizing.

Thank you for that statement. We have yet to go there but probably will do so---not sure yet.

The dehumanization process inside prisons is ugly, but the need for money to buy some extras is also there ---

Diane

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Giving up your passport to a prison guard, going into a Mexican Prison, and then bartering with Mexican Banditos in the excersize yard for goods. :o:o:o:o:o

NOW THAT'S ADVENTURE TRAVEL FOLKS!

:lol::lol::cool::lol::lol::lol:

Like parasailing in Puerto Vallarta is compared to trusting your life to a mexican with a rope.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 01:29 PM

Never been to that prison but have bought several works made there from folks in Cabo that were like nothing I have found elsewhere.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 02:07 PM

Feel sorry for those guys behind the walls there at the Santa Rosalia prison, that's a lot more than they felt for their victims.:(:(
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 05:50 PM

I have been by there more times than I can count and never knew this. We are going to cabo in March and I can't wait to stop and check it out. Thanks for the Heads up
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
azvazquez
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 06:09 PM

This should be a great time. We are going to be visiting with about 15 people. That should get the circus going.

Shari, you said to wear pants. Is that for the women only or everyone? Also what about children, are they allowed in?
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 06:13 PM

I taught english classes there and I can tell you, there are alot of innocent souls there...some doing time for a guilty friend, some caught up in legal incompetence, some just too poor to mount a defense, some who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time....some who did things under the influence and regret it....anyway...please dont' judge them all in the same breath! There are some very unique items they sell and some very wonderful human beings there.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by azvazquez
This should be a great time. We are going to be visiting with about 15 people. That should get the circus going.

Shari, you said to wear pants. Is that for the women only or everyone? Also what about children, are they allowed in?

Never take children into a prison in the U.S. or Mexico (even if it were permitted)... You have NO control over what they can and will be exposed too. That is not an image of Mexico they should have in their minds until they are old enough to understand life.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

azvazquez
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 06:26 PM

Good point David, thanks.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 06:48 PM

No problema amigo... having raised two, I have learned many new things to consider when kids are involved... Keep posting your Baja stories and questions, trip reports, etc.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 07:05 PM

There are LOTS of kids who visit their relatives there...they have a picnic area with swings in it for them and a BBQ pit...and I have always been an advocate of exposing kids to the REAL side of life even though sometimes it aint pretty...it's valuable for them to see a real prison...bars etc...and serves to teach them about the consequences of their actions...the prisoners are very well behaved there and bringing kids would not be a problem...although I'm not sure they let em in to buy stuff...probably...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.