Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CPS recall filters down to "consumers"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 10:04 AM
CPS recall filters down to "consumers"

Just received word by mail that Ford is finally agreeing to replace the notorious cam position sensor problem. Supposedly, they have a more reliable one to install.

Their estimate is a half day at the dealer. I think I replaced mine in under a half hour. It never failed but I had read about too many failures to want to chance it. Bought mine online from a IH outlet.

Anyway, 1997-2003 7.3l diesels are the ones.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 10:44 AM

Recall replaced mine last dec. new number.. hope this one lasts.. first one had to be replaced at 90,000 miles.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 10:46 AM

Hook,

Do you think the sensors available currently through auto parts stores are the improved design?

I want to get a spare, but want the improved one.

Ken
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 11:19 AM

Well, if you got one at an IH or Ford dealer, I would imagine it would be the good ones. Not sure about an aftermarket one.

I'd go in for the recall and ask them to return your original one to keep as a spare.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 11:25 AM

In the past Ford Dealers wanted $90 for the part and auto parts/internet were $30. At that time there was no distinction in the parts to my knowledge.

I'll research to see if there is a difference, or suck it up and pay the Ford Dealer the going rate.

Thanks for the info.

Ken
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 11:38 AM

Check out the dieselstop.com site and see what people are doing about this. I havent been on there in a while but that's how I found a Harvester/Navistar outlet for a cheaper version of the Ford one.

Have you not received a recall notice? Sounds like they are rolling them out in steps if others received notice in December. You wont pay for one as part of the recall.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Check out the dieselstop.com site and see what people are doing about this. I havent been on there in a while but that's how I found a Harvester/Navistar outlet for a cheaper version of the Ford one.

Have you not received a recall notice? Sounds like they are rolling them out in steps if others received notice in December. You wont pay for one as part of the recall.

I have yet to receive it. I want to purchase a new spare after Ford replaces mine, but want the improved variety. I'll say goodbye to my old one.

Ken

[Edited on 2-12-2008 by tripledigitken]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 11:57 AM

They are doing it in steps because they apparently don't have enough to do it all at once. Therefore buying a spare might be a pain right now.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 07:27 PM

at dieselstop.com someone posted pictures of the old and new styles together, so you can see what you have and what you are being sold now. the thread is a sticky, at the top of the page. Mike
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 07:42 PM

Just recieved my recall notice in the mail. Dated January 2008.

I had purcahased a spare several years ago. Now have 200,000 + miles on my 1999. I had it in the dealer in November and when I asked about the CPS my guy was surprised that I had never had to replace it. I had him change it out then.

The letter says that if you paid to remedy the issue you may be eligible for a refund.

We shall see.

Viva Powerstroke! :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 09:00 PM

Well, glad to hear it. I have been carrying a spare for 100,00 miles. :o

Used one at 95K (mas o menos), and now have another - both bought from the International dealer. I have replaced a few, and I think I can do it in 15 minutes or so - practice makes perfect, you know. :lol::lol:

I haven't received anything, but I will probably take advantage of the recall and keep the spare. Is there ANY cost associated with this?
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 11:43 PM

Parts and labor are free, according to the letter.

Went over to dieselstop. Apparently the new, improved cps is only 15-20 bucks at the dealer now. I paid around 100 a couple years back. Of course I have no receipt; its an electronic part that no one lets you return.

I'm gonna go by the dealer tomorrow and see if they will just give me a new one. I dont like letting a dealer dicker with my truck. And it's not a hard install ONCE YOU FIND IT.

MSteve, I couldnt find the photos, even though I saw the stickey on dieselstop. Which forum?

[Edited on 2-13-2008 by Hook]

[Edited on 2-13-2008 by Hook]

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2008 at 07:05 PM

i could not find it yesterday either or i would have posted the link. my internet connection was very slow so i gave up looking at all those pages. but i know it is there :no:
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2008 at 07:19 PM

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7db22b3127cce83f6b8ddd... i found it. i hope this works. the new ones are grey. the old ones are black, i have 2 old ones. paid about $75 for my spare.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.