BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Hotel Jardines Baja (San Quintin)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 04:44 PM

#5 of 6

206 031-R.JPG - 29kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2008 at 04:45 PM

#6 of 6, the restaurant entrance (in 2006)

206 032-R.JPG - 44kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 02:14 PM
Directions to Jardines, please?

It's on the road to Old Mill, but turn left 1/2 mile down? Tecate sign?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
It's on the road to Old Mill, but turn left 1/2 mile down? Tecate sign?

Nope... south of it, after the highway narrows (km.0) There is a sign (tall) for 'Jardines Baja' along the highway (I think about Km. 1 or 2) at the turnoff... just over a mile in, one left hand turn west of the highway and you will be there, just beyond the RV park.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2009 at 03:51 PM

Just went to my trip report 709-1:

We stopped in Ensenada for 4 tacos and 2 beers (100 pesos) at the places near the harbor. We got to Maneadero (10 miles from Ensenada) at 1:53 pm and kept on going to the San Quintin area for dinner at JARDINES BAJA, 1.3 miles west of Highway One, near Km. 2. Arrived at 4:30 pm and left at 5:30 http://www.hotel-jardinesbaja.com.

This was our one-year anniversary date and the Jardines was a fine place for a nice dinner. Elizabeth and I both had the steak and lobster dinner… with 4 beers US $57 (this was our most expensive meal). The Jardines is a beautiful, new restaurant and is the third time we have had dinner there, but this was the first time at the new building.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 02:16 PM

Actually, Jardines has a sign posted on highway 1. We've found that road to be in better condition than the one heading to the Old Mill. Either road, make your first left.
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 02:54 PM
San Quintin

Glad to know there is a good place in San Quentin. I went there 2 years ago and stayed with friends at "Cielito Lindo". To be avoided at all cost.

I am out of adjectives to describe the squalor of that place. Run-down would be a compliment. Nasty filthy rooms, gray linens (were white a few decades ago) lumpy sweaty smelly pillows, dust everywhere, raw, live electrical, fungus holding the few tiles left in the bathroom, rocking toilets that leak and on and on. Then you have to walk for half a kl. in wall to wall trash to get to a dirty beach.

The restaurant is kind of fun but the second night you start to notice the rather ancient chain smoking hookers circling like "sopilotes" in the bar. Very high miles on those models. Their choice clientele is the welfare residents from the US who live in the trailer park next door. The last stop where the RVs are fossilized to the "polvo". Perfect cast for the "Twilight Zone"

I got in my car, drove off to La Pinta next door brandishing my American Express :-) Beautiful, clean, comfortable little hotel and the beach there is out of this world! Sands of gold...
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 03:33 PM

We liked it very much when we stayed there on our trip up in early August. Only thing was with all the moisture in the gardens there were lots of skeeters. We were out of spray but borrowed some. All else was great.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2009 at 04:06 PM

Actually, there are several hotels in San Quintin to consider. The Villas de San Quintin is a newer place with a restaurant. Adjacent is a place that I just cannot recall the name of, but is the equal. I heartily recommend breakfast at Viejo San Quintin. It's just next to the hospital on the West side of the highway, but set back quite a bit, so very hard to find when traveling South. It is operated by the great folks who own the Jardines hotel and restaurant. I'm told that during the time they were converting their house/ restaurant into a hotel, they operated Viejo as a full time restaurant. Carmen and Guillermo. Great people with a great family.
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 03:53 PM

Stopped for dinner on our way home last week. Although the restuarant is lacking in atmosphere, the food was excellent (lobster burrito's) and the cadillac margarita's were excellent. I requested Hornito's and grand marnier. They were out of GM and offered Damiana. DEEEEELicious. Three of them and I was very buzzed. Would definitely stay at the hotel next time.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 04:16 PM

Geez. Were you hitting the road after that??
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 05:02 PM

oh yeah, jardines!...it's the best thing happening in northern baja, imho...really....they run a really professional, clean, quiet, secure, establishment...AND...the restaurant next door is their daughters and son in laws...so it's all tied in...a quality place that shouldn't be missed...we LOVE our time there

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 05:20 PM

Just wish they had the financial where-with-all to build out more rooms. It can be very disappointing to arrive there only to find that they are booked. Even in this down economy, reservations are advised. Carmen y Guillermo, salud!
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Geez. Were you hitting the road after that??

Heavens no. We stayed at the Old Mill thinking we would get a nice lobster dinner at Eddies. But alas, not only is the Old Mill restaurant still closed, but Eddies was also closed....I guess just for the evening. Anyway, the lady at the Old Mill recommended Jardines so we ate there. Bye the way, it rained that evening and the road out was treacherous....as usual. We did some off roading in a two wheel drive Tundra at the Seven Sisters after a big rain and the place we almost got really stuck was the road out of the Old Mill.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-13-2010 at 06:34 PM

Jardines has more rooms in the works. Last I heard they had applied for the permits and should be working on that this year. They do serve a Cadillac Margarita that I have enjoyed sipping once or twice.

:yes:

What I enjoy most about Jardines is the peace and quiet that goes along with two very accommodating hosts - Guillermo and Carmen...

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2010 at 01:33 PM
A WARNING about this place....

Reserved a ''Single'' here last year. Said I wanted upper floor. Was told ''Singles'' are downstairs. I arrived to find the ''Singles'' to be interior rooms -- and dark. View was out a window to another window across a hall. A window did open but it was near the ceiling. Ended up at Cactus 1/2 hour South and appreciate the TV in the rooms there.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-14-2010 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Reserved a ''Single'' here last year. Said I wanted upper floor. Was told ''Singles'' are downstairs. I arrived to find the ''Singles'' to be interior rooms -- and dark. View was out a window to another window across a hall. A window did open but it was near the ceiling. Ended up at Cactus 1/2 hour South and appreciate the TV in the rooms there.

a little help... which place.. never been to any.. :):)

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2010 at 08:01 PM

This thread is about Jardines... so I would guess Lee is talking about there?

'Cactus 1/2 hour South' is Baja Cactus Motel, El Rosario... next door to the Pemex... an outstanding operation and perhaps the finest motel you will stay at... for under $40! Includes 24 desk clerk, bottled water, coffee maker, English TV channels, pressure boosted showers, Int'l calling from your room... more!

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 2-15-2010 at 01:58 PM

I didn't know the restaurant owners were their daughter and son-in-law. I believe I met her when I was there before they opened and Viejo San Quintin in town was recommended. Nice young lady, very interested in customer service. I ordered a steak "medio rojo" and when it was served she came over to see that everything was ok. "Let's see", I said and cut the steak. Nope, no medio rojo, it was "bien cocido". She immediately apologized and offered to bring another, explaining that they were training a new cook. I then said there was a way to know how a steak was cooked without cutting it open and showed her the old trick of pressing different parts of your palm with a finger.
"Oh, you must be a chef!", she said. I grinned and said if you call flipping burgers at White Castle when I was a teenager, being a chef.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2010 at 02:52 PM

Yep. Same ownership. Same family. I'm just guessing, but I suspect the main reason Jardines Restaurant is not open for breakfast is because it tends to be a lower profit meal. Thus, they choose not to run two restaurants for breakfast.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.