BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Hotel Jardines Baja (San Quintin)
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Urchin
Glad to know there is a good place in San Quentin. I went there 2 years ago and stayed with friends at "Cielito Lindo". To be avoided at all cost.

I got in my car, drove off to La Pinta next door brandishing my American Express :-) Beautiful, clean, comfortable little hotel and the beach there is out of this world! Sands of gold...

La Pinta, or Desert Inn in San Quintin was bought by Los Pinos, and I believe also the Old Mill (Restaurant). Desert Inn for sure. It's being fixed up, but is still open. Should be a great place right at the beach to stay for this summer. I have a amigo that will be working when it's done.

Also a great RV park next door to Jardines...Marita's parents own it. If your looking for a place with hook ups.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 02:53 PM

Yeah but isn't the Desert Inn $100usd/night?
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Yeah but isn't the Desert Inn $100usd/night?

True that... but right now it's $39.00 U.S. Some don't mind paying to be by the beach. You've seen where it's located, it's the best location in San Quintin. They just need to get a good restaurant, and great service, but their location, with the killer balcony....I'll try it at least once.

Think it was $70.00-$100. bucks before it was bought, and most everyone already knew that.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 04:43 PM

OK. I'll agree that it is in a wonderful location. It always made me wonder why it was that the original owners, El Camino Real put it out there, when the whole idea was to provide lodging and food to travelers driving the newly paved Highway 1. Given that its basic architecture and amenities were just as spare as all the other hotels in the chain, it would only make sense that a buyer with any vision would recognize that given the size and location of the property, it could well become a destination, if it had a greater feel of comfort.

Right now, I am just a tad curious if perhaps the $39 rate referred to by TonyC may come with an unwelcome amount of construction. Just asking.
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Right now, I am just a tad curious if perhaps the $39 rate referred to by TonyC may come with an unwelcome amount of construction. Just asking.

Thinking you is on the money sir. I'm heading down next month, I'll check it out. I have not stay there yet, but for 39 bucks, I'll stay a night.
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Yep. Same ownership. Same family. I'm just guessing, but I suspect the main reason Jardines Restaurant is not open for breakfast is because it tends to be a lower profit meal. Thus, they choose not to run two restaurants for breakfast.

They lost alot of the local business when they moved the restaurant. Jardines as a place to stay, and eat for us is great.

Didn't someone say they'er going to open another restauant in town to get the locals back?

[Edited on 2-17-2010 by TonyC]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 05:23 PM

Last time I was in Jardines restaurant, it was filled with locals. Appears that Viejo San Quintin does breakfast and lunch, while Jardines is the dinner spot. I imagine that if and when Guillermo and Carmen build out their planned hotel rooms, it might afford them the reason to open Jardines para Desayuno. But, right now, with a handful of rooms, it obviously does not make economic sense.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 05:23 PM

Tony C.
Please keep us posted on that $39 rate at the Desert Inn.
I had a memorable new years eve in the dunes there when I was 21. Five people and three sleeping bags. Love those baja memories!! Thanks
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2010 at 05:25 PM

Pay for a room and then sleep in a sleeping bag? You looking for a $39 shower and toilet?:biggrin:
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2010 at 09:35 AM

No;
We didn't get a room, just had a campfire and saved the room money for tequila. When I was 21 I'd sleep peacefully on a pile of rocks!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 11:20 AM
repost of my review from 2008

I thought I'd bump this as some readers had not heard of Jardines until the recent Baja Cactus post.

their restaurant next door
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
No;
We didn't get a room, just had a campfire and saved the room money for tequila. When I was 21 I'd sleep peacefully on a pile of rocks!

Yep, old school :biggrin::biggrin:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-14-2013 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Urchin
Glad to know there is a good place in San Quentin. I went there 2 years ago and stayed with friends at "Cielito Lindo". To be avoided at all cost.

I got in my car, drove off to La Pinta next door brandishing my American Express :-) Beautiful, clean, comfortable little hotel and the beach there is out of this world! Sands of gold...

La Pinta, or Desert Inn in San Quintin was bought by Los Pinos, and I believe also the Old Mill (Restaurant). Desert Inn for sure. It's being fixed up, but is still open. Should be a great place right at the beach to stay for this summer. I have a amigo that will be working when it's done.

Also a great RV park next door to Jardines...Marita's parents own it. If your looking for a place with hook ups.

RV Park is called Los Olivos...

The former 'Desert Inn', 'La Pinta', 'El Presidente' on the beach south of San Quintin is now called the Hotel Mision Santa Maria (owned by the Los Pinos group, who also now own the Cataviņa hotel that was a Desert Inn, La Pinta, El Presidente and have renamed it: Hotel Mision Cataviņa).

These Los Pinos tomato growing folks also own Rancho Grande at Gonzaga Bay, and have had hotel plans for there the past 12 years+. Pavement is only 3 miles away, now.

[Edited on 5-15-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2013 at 04:11 AM

While we did not stay at the hotel, we did have lunch and walk through the magnificent garden.

Lunch was very good and the staff was attentive, without being annoying. Would definitely go back to the restaurant and although we are reasonably close, would like to partake of the hotel.

Summation... beautiful...

Linda
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 05:04 PM

Been staying at Jardines since they first opened as a hotel. Carmen actually gave us a tour of what was once she and Guillermo's home. Our first stay was in a room that Carmen said was once their dining room.

That said, Carmen, Guillermo, Esmeralda and Carlos are wonderful hosts. And a shout out to Fernando at the front desk, too.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 05:26 PM

Thanks for the bump :):)

Tree

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 04:55 PM

This place is the best in San Quintin. Our group (compadres trail riders) make at least one trip a year down there on dirt bikes and the owner is always friendly and appreciative of our business. I turn everyone I know (my fishing and dirt bike friends) on to this place. Great rooms, great prices, and a great restaurant. Great staff that some of my buddies hit the town with after hours. :spingrin:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 05:03 PM

A couple of other things to share.

Esmeralda, the co-host of the restaurant, with her husband Carlos, who is the daughter of Guillermo is really fun to chat with. She was born in Berkeley, California.

She and Carlos also operate the Viejo San Quintin restaurant just North on the main drag next to the hospital on the West side of the road. Probably the main reason there is no breakfast service at Jardines.

We've had some great breakfasts at Viejo San Quintin. Highly recommended, especially for those staying at the hotel and heading North. I never understood why they didn't post something at the hotel about the other restaurant.

Her father Guillermo told me that all the work he has done on Jardines was a legacy for Esmeralda's children.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 05:16 PM

Why is everyone so insecure in Baja? I would be afraid to go a movie theatre or akmost any public event in the USA....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Why is everyone so insecure in Baja? I would be afraid to go a movie theatre or akmost any public event in the USA....

HUH??? little too much TKT chukie
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.