Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Home Depot Open in Rosarito
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 08:27 PM
Home Depot Open in Rosarito

Today was the grand opening for the Home Depot in Rosarito.

A DJ playing really good music welcomed the customers at the entrance.

Despite the rain and wind, the enormous warehouse space was packed with people.

The mostly bilingual employees rushed over to help anyone who looked confused or lost (that might be me, but I'm not saying).

Hubby said he was impressed with the size, good layout and quality of the large selection of items.

Horario: Mon-Sat, 7am - 10pm, Sun 8am-10pm.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan

Hubby said he was impressed with the size, good layout and quality of the large selection of items.

Did hubby happen to notice the prices? If they're anything like Ensenada, they'll take all the fun out of it.
Anyway, you guys are only a short distance from the real Home Depots.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 08:52 PM
Prices Seem Really Reasonable

Based on hubby's and my quick survey.

They have many products that are the same as what we see on the other side of the border, and at a fast guess, the prices seem to be very close.

When Office Depot opened a few months ago, in the nearby parking lot, hubby talked to the management and the general info was that branded items are 15-25% higher due to import taxes. Still, that is cheaper than driving to the U.S. to buy the same items.

Today, we were shopping for locks, floodlights, lightbulbs and household cleaning products.

Home Depot had many "exclusive" or store brand items featured - prices looked OK. I can't tell if the big items, the U.S. branded generators, air compressors, etc. are a good deal or not.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 09:08 PM

How about bullet proof vests and AK 47's?

[Edited on 2-23-2008 by 805gregg]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 09:10 PM

Home Depot is a hardware store, not a wetworks supply.

[Edited on 2-23-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
How about bullet proof vests and AK 47's?

You are still going to have to bring them across with you illegally as before.

I was there for the Grand Opening and looked across the way at the buildings for Wal Mart, a Movie theater and Appleby's (of all things).

Wonderful weather in Playas de Rosarito today.

[Edited on 2-24-2008 by The Gull]

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 01:38 AM

Quote:

and Appleby's (of all things).

Well don't worry about the Gringos returning now!:lol::lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 11:16 AM
Bingo, Dude

Who was doing the thinking? Playas de Rosarito needs an Appleby's?

I hope it is just another ugly rumor published by the SD and OC newspapers.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 12:32 PM

There seems to be an abundance of Applebys in Mexico. I wonder who or what owns them. There has to be a strong Mexican connection.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
There seems to be an abundance of Applebys in Mexico. I wonder who or what owns them. There has to be a strong Mexican connection.

Don Abeja de Manzana.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 03:57 PM

It took me a minute but, that's a pretty good one Ed.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 04:28 PM

A 15-20% mark-up on brand items AND the 10% sales tax. I got the promotional flier- but there weren't any deals compared to San Diego. Same deal with the two TJ Costco's (but at least they take Visa/Mastercard unlike AMX only in the USA). There's a reason anyone who can cross the border to shop in the San Diego (Imperal Beach and Chula Wanna) Costco and Home Depot does.

I walked out of the TJ Home Depot shaking my head that it couldn't possibly be part of the same chain in the USA- although on first blush it does look and feel like one. Bet its the exact same as the Ensenada unit.

Yes, Appleby's, Burger King. Peter Piper Pizza, Walmart and a multi-plex movie theater.

Better yet. The site of this shopping center is adjacent the Rosarito power plant and in the red-zone within the immediate evacuaton area. There wasn't supposed to be any development on that parcel and there are several legal disputes (a litttle late now I should think). Can you imagine the terrorists making good on their threat to blow up the Rosarito gas pipeline and you're half-way through a movie?
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 06:47 PM

Whoosh,

Now you think Al Queda has a destruction plan for Playas de Rosarito?

Please provide the reasoning behind your thoughts.

Did you read it in the Gringo Gazette or the SD Trib?

I have never known how many Americans are unhappy about living in Baja until I started reading all these critical postings.

Ya gotta wonder why people stay in the face of such overwhelming disatisfaction.

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 01:42 PM

Mexico has plenty of domestic terrorists without having to import the towelheads. There was a credible terrorist threat a few months ago against the Rosarito PeMex plant. This was at the same time the (domestic) terrortists blew up the PeMex pipeline in southern mexico.

The army patrols the PeMex plant in Rosarito Beach 24/7 and just completed building two cement watch towers to protect the plant from a cosatal attack.

Most Rosarito locals know there are two off-shore pipelines that move fuel from the tankers to the plant. One runs down Benito Juarez Blvd. and together they form a triangle around the city. I think that's pretty appealing to terrorists and many of us speculate how big the blast would be if the three pipelines were to blow at once. (Same thing the JFK terroists were trying to do with the plot to blow up the fuel pipelines running to Newark and LaGuardia from JFK).

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.