Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cafeteria Monique - Ensenada
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 05:44 PM
Cafeteria Monique - Ensenada

This restaurant has been around a long time, with good reason: the food is terrific, the uniformed waitresses are highly competent and friendly, and the place is ridiculously clean (they even have HOT water in the bathrooms for hand washing).

The furnishings, consisting of large highly-polished wood tables, comfortable chairs and a large counter with wooden stools, give the place a very European feel. Reminded me of many of the family restaurants I visited in Germany when I was stationed there. The magazine and newspaper racks add a Euro touch.

The menu is extensive and imaginative. I had the machaca de la casa, and it was by far the best machaca I've ever had. Besides being very flavorful, the meat was done as it is supposed to be --- slightly crispy with a taste and texture reminiscent of a good jerky.

BB2005 had the "quesihuevos," a dish of perfectly poached eggs on a quesadilla, bathed in a terrific salsa. In both cases, the portions were generous.

The only drawback is that the parking isn't plentiful, but if you do find a spot (the restaurant anchors a small strip mall), it should be quite safe, given its location right across the street from the police station.

We highly recommend Cafeteria Monique. It is located at the corner of 9th and Espinoza Streets, west of the Reforma. Hours are 6:00 am to 10:00 pm, Monday through Saturday; Sundays it's open at 6, closes at 5:00 pm.

[Edited on 2-24-2008 by bajamigo]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 05:54 PM

Can you describe how to get there.... location?
Thanks,
Bob H
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 05:55 PM
Been Driving By and Looking

...at it for quite some time.

It always seems busy.

Thanks for the review/recommendation!

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 06:04 PM

Isn't that the one that caters to your dry-gut hunger when you're bailed out of jail on Ninth Street, right across from the Ensenada police station?

Gee Whiz.....The Wandering Gormet has no bounds.
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 06:12 PM

you did not mention that the wife of a famous nomad "hangs out" there. well, er, actually, she is one of the crisp-aproned lovely and competent servers!
:tumble:
hope i haven't spilled any frijoles:o

dennis is right about location. bajamigo can give more details;)

lili
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 06:16 PM

Did I spell Gormet right?
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Can you describe how to get there.... location?
Thanks,
Bob H

Sorry. Post has been edited to provide that essential info.

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Did I spell Gormet right?

UH, NO! In real life we spell it GORMUTT (4 paw restaurants get 4 Paw reviews from our dogs- that means lots of leftovers) but if YOUR wandering GORMET refers to BB2005 pls refer to her as a GOURMET. Gracias!!! In Spanish, I think that would be gorme

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 11:09 AM

Monique's Cafeteria.... really delicious breakfasts. The eggs and many other ingredients I like in my omelette are always nice and fresh, cooked perfectly so that the egg has no 'hidden' runny/uncooked parts and the vegies still retain their flavor. My friend prefers hot cakes, which are darn tasty also.

Although Monique's is often quite busy, the noise level is generally low.... it is possible to have conversation with one's breakfast partners, which I appreciate.

The service staff is the best in Ensenada.:yes:
They seem always ready to refill your coffee, bring another fork to replace the one you just dropped... yet they do not hover while you eat. They're friendly and courteous and cute.... and oh yes, my close friend and favorite server in Ensenada is among them.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.