BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Money
aletarw

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 09:38 AM
Money

We are arriving flying into Loreto next Sunday. Then we will drive to LaPaz and on to Cabo (over a 2 week period). Need to know how to handle money. Should we use travelers checks? convert dollars to pesos? use credit cards

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 09:57 AM

Get pesos, it make things easier.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 09:59 AM

I think the easiest and most convenient is using ATMs for pesos. You really want to avoid the lines in banks changing money or cashing TCs. You can probably find an ATM machine in the Loreto airport at the start of your trip and you can easily find them in La Paz and Cabo.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 10:01 AM

Bring some 20's us , and there are atm's in most town's
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 10:05 AM

credit cards and atms
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 11:54 AM

Loreto's ATMs are located at the Bancomer downtown, the Bancomer branch just off the highway, the Banamex on the main route into town, and a somewhat hidden ATM next to Supermercado Pescador and behind Win's Hamburgers.

Travelers' Checks are a pita. Use the ATMs.

US dollars are good everywhere, but you'll often get a 10-1 rate and lose a little.

Small change has been in MUCH better supply lately; a few years ago even the bank sometimes had no small change. Still, a bunch of $1 bills can come in handy for tips and small purchases.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 01:13 PM

Bancomer ATM is a regular first stop for me.
Low fees, and very user friendly.
And absolutely the best conversion rate.

Just remember, if you struggle with the language, that the suggested withdrawal amount is expressed in pesos, not dollars.

The top line suggested on Bancomer is 1500, but that only amounts to about $135 US. Don't take the smaller amount and realize you don't have enough to last until tomorrow's withdrawal.

Also, if you use dollars be prepared to receive some of each currency in change, and you need to be alert to how that all shakes out.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 01:22 PM

Important side note:

Call your credit card and ATM card providers. Tell them you will be traveling in Mexico (Baja) and give them the entry dates and exit dates. I failed to do this once, and my VISA card provider put a block on my card when I tried to use it in Baja. They told me that it was a fraud prevention measure.

I call everytime I go now, and no problems.

I always use peso's, but keep some US cash on hand (in 20's)

[Edited on 2-24-2008 by bajaguy]

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 01:23 PM

Another vote for ATMs. Check with your bank before heading down. Some credit card/ATM cards charge additional fees and others don't. All we pay is the 7.5 peso transaction fee but some friends that were recently here had additional fees charged by their bank. Exchange rates vary daily but usually costs us about U$365 for M$4000.

Same with your credit cards. Check on what the additional fees will be for foreign transactions. The only card we use down here (infrequently) is our AMEX. Our AA mileage card that we use in the US adds a very hefty fee when used down here.

Best to stay with pesos.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 01:33 PM

We always use ATM's.... make sure you call your bank to let them know you will be in Mexico - and make sure your pass code is only four digits.. some ATM's in Mexico will not take more than four digit pass codes.
Have fun.
Bob H
jamesdbeckjr

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 01:53 PM

ATMs are good. Santander is partner bank with Bank of America and is fee free. Get call collect international customer service number. I did tell the bank we were wintering in Mexico but was cut off anyway. They answer the call collect number faster. Have fun.

aletarw

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 06:16 PM

You guys are awesome with such quick responses. I had been told about heavy fees. I will check with my credit card company, Amex, and with my bank to see about fees from Mexico ATM's. Glad I asked before buying traveler's checks.

Will post a trip report when we get back.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.