Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: First trip to Baja
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

puzzled.gif posted on 2-25-2008 at 03:23 PM
First trip to Baja

Ok so i ask alot of questions , history is one of my favorite pastimes.

What year was your first trip Baja ? Mine was in 1996 , wish i'd know what a great place/people were out there sooner.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 03:39 PM

1988 SPRING BREAK. I went with a professor from Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, Ca. The college use to take these kind of trips all over the world.
It was 4x4 only and I didn't have one so I road in the back of a Jeep CJ-7 with no top.
I think it was 8 days of complete exposure to Baja.
Behind the back seat was just enough room for a cooler full of beer. Whenever we were offroad I sat on the cooler holding on to the role bar(with one hand, beer in the other). Sometimes standing on the seat holding the role bar.
As you might imagine by the end of the trip I had "Coleman" from the coolor top tatooed on my butt. But it was well worth it. I was hooked!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

baja-spirit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 03:42 PM

Our first trip was in 1986. Camping at Punta Chivato. We were there during spring break and met so many nice Mexicans, that came down to the beach to camp. Still friends after all these years. This questions brought back some wonderful memories..:yes:
lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 04:06 PM

Our first trip was 1989. We were cruising and stopped in various places in Mexico before going on to the the South Pacific. Who would have thought we would end up all these years later buying a house here!

•Life is just one damned thing after another
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 04:31 PM

first trip was in 1964 with a group of high school buddies to visit an orphanage. my mom drove us and afterwards, of course, we had to go to avenida revolución where we did a little shopping and got in one of the tourist carriages where i sat on the zebra-painted donkey:lol:

i have a b&w photograph. but don't know how to post:P

then came down in 1980 to ensenada; 1982 flew to los cabos; 1998 came to ensenada with husband to find a place to retire; found house and bought in 2000 and retired here in 2004. :tumble:

life is good.:tumble:

welcome, lingililingili (am i close?)

lili
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 04:36 PM

First trip 1967 in a V.W. van with four surf buddies :O Eye Opening!!!!!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 04:56 PM

My second trip was in fall 1989. My buddy and I found a Piper Cherokee 6 for rent. We both got checked out in it and flewto Palmas De Cortes and landed on their dirt runway right behind the resort.
Got out of the plane and walk into the lobby. A truck with a fresh caught 500lb marlin was parkrd by the door.
I thought for sure I would catch one. Fished 2 days and not even a darn needlefish!
Still had a great time and caught my marln on the next trip there.
I know it sounds like bs but the next trip you take there is better than the last one which was the best trip ever!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

lingililingili
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylens

welcome, lingililingili (am i close?)

Thank you, and you wrote it perfectly!

•Life is just one damned thing after another
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 05:02 PM

I started doing trips to Baja on the weekend in high school....this would have been around 1990. My first "real" trip to Baja was in the summer of 1991...two weeks of camping at Scorpion Bay...and we did it again in 1992. Unfortunately, I have not been back since. I know a lot has changed at Scorpion Bay since 1992.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 05:06 PM

!958 Just a small fry in an exciting place. Tj and Rosarito exclusively.
!969 My first real Baja trek. Gasoline was our greatest concern. It was a whole lot farther to the cape than it is now.:yes:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 05:20 PM

1965: Gonzaga Bay via San Felipe, age 8 1/2, Jeep Wagoneer with mom and dad.

1966: Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas (over 800 dirt miles) in the Wagoneer, then back to La Paz to take new ferry to Mazatlan for return trip north.

1967: L.A. Bay via San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay...

During those first years we also went south of San Felipe and west of Colonet (San Antonio del Mar) frequently...

Dad loved fishing and heard Baja had the best, so he bought the Jeep and away we went! We soon went to Baja for more than fishing... we loved to camp and my mom loved the historic sites.

At 16, I made my first Baja trip without my parents (Spring Break, 1974)... and I have been going back ever since!

Photo of me and cardon on the 1966 trip down the peninsula... I have had 'Baja fever' for over 40 years!

66-67 pics.jpg - 50kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ILikeMex
Nomad

Mood: Whishing I was there

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 05:54 PM

That's a sweet tan-line you got going on around your neck there Grover:lol:

First real trip (not just going to do underage drinking in Rosarito) was in 1986. Drove all the way to Todos Santos/ San Pedrito before the RV park was set up. Beers were about 30 cents each after deposito and tocos were about the same. :?:
standingwave
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 06:15 PM
First Trip to Baja

first trip was 1982-3 (if I don't count a day trip to Tijuana in the 70's). I decided I wanted to learn how to surf and if I was going to spend a lot of time under the water in the process then the least I could do for myself was go somewhere where the water was warm. First beach was Los Cerritos - can you believe I spent days at a time there in January '83 with no one else on the beach? The next year I stayed at Pescadero and over the next few years did learn how to surf. Not the easiest place to learn but the water was warm and the beach life was good. Made many friends I still keep in touch with. The picture was taken in 1986 at Pescadero.

ken, wave #1, oval.jpg - 20kB

\"I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea.\"
James Cook
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 07:01 PM

!958, to Estero Beach.Not much there then and after that, south driving the penninsula in 1971.(to the tip and back, long journey, with babies!)

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
RonnieRockCod
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 07:46 PM

January, 1947. Good luck, RRC.
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 09:17 PM

Ensanada 1983,then San Felipe 1984. Been going back to Baja almost everyyear since then.First time in Mexico went with parents and sister in the back of a 1960 International one ton with a cabover camper.Rode in the camper all the way to Mazatlan and back in 1968. Only two high rise hotels back then.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 09:21 PM

1957 dad took the family down PCH to TJ in our new '57 Ford station wagon. Quite an eye opening trip for a young lad of 9. On my own with friends who could drive in '63 to stay and surf at our friends house at campo Lopez K-55. First trip to the tip '73 when the road opened.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 09:47 PM

1986 - San Miguel. Still seems like yesterday.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-25-2008 at 10:56 PM

Heh, 805gregg, You know about the left break between 56 qnd 55? That was my surf spot back then,right after mija was born in Ensenada.We lived in an old pannel truck, parked on the cliff at 56, hubby would go out surfing, come in and we took turns.He watching Juanita, me surfing...She was three weeks old then.(goofy foot ):tumble:Wow them were the days!

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 07:34 AM

Sallysouth we normally surfed the point, where my friends trailer was located, or the left off the big rock. I don't remember a left further south. Wasn't there an Aztec shrine type building next to the old road a little further south?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.