Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Off road El Golfo to Purerto Penasco
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 2-27-2008 at 09:43 AM
Off road El Golfo to Purerto Penasco

Not Baja but pics sure look good. Plan to go down at the end of April in several 4wd's. Does anyone have any info on what we may expect..
Thanks!!!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 11:09 AM

I have no info that is current, but I have searched and found stuff on the net in the past on this desolate and dramatic area. It is VERY sandy!!! The railroad does go thru this area, but no really "established" roads penetrate it, as far as I know. Many huge dunes, and lots of inlets from the sea that are vast and swampy. I have always thought that if the railroad goes thru, then we can make it too, but have never tried.

Make sure you have spare parts and all the supplies you will possibly need, including survival gear---------there is nobody to help you if you break down. Never tackle this area in only one vehicle, which you apparently already know.

Good luck, and report back when you make it, please.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 11:17 AM

Somebody said there's a new highway being built parallel to the coast between El Golfo and Puerto Peņasco... ?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 2-27-2008 at 11:38 AM

It's not that difficult and yes there is somewhat of a dirt/sand road parallel to the railroad. Groups of 4-wheelers from around Yuma and San Luis Rio Colorado organize an outing they call "La Travesia" once a year or so. The new "Costera" is paved from Rocky Point almost to El Golfo now and will eventually connect to a new planned road from SLRC at El Doctor (where the army checkpoint is now). Actually, you can reach RP without 4wd if you go to the center of El Golfo and head east past the cemetery and the old garbage dump. This is a graded road that hooks up to the paved road from RP. No maps available yet.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-12-2008 at 06:18 PM

From Expeditionportal.com:

"On are way back from the salt mine to El Gulf the tide was coming in so we had to drive on the bluff. We found a new road being built from El Gulfo to Rocky Point. It was a big project with 50 ton trucks hauling dirt. Looks like it is going to be a Super Highway.

Looks like that fairly unknow part of northern Mexico is going to get popular. To bad."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.