Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 03:38 PM

I'd be panting too!

Iflyfish
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 05:18 PM

George, I just don't get it. We spent three weeks in Southern Mexico touring the Myan ruins - rented a car and saw a lot of neat stuff. The people were wonderful and the many places we visited on this trek were just outstanding. Very lush and tropical landscapes - water falls, butterflies, howler monkeys...all of it was breathtaking!
Bob H
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 05:50 PM

Give the guy a break! It obviously just wasn't his cup of tea! So what? He never suggested no one else should go just that it wasn't particularly to his liking and that he preferred Baja. Get over it. Do you folks get this defensive when someone orders something different than you from a restaurant menu?

In Memory of E-57
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 07:58 PM

Alan, only if it is a colder beer than mine:lol:. Later-------bajafun777

Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 08:00 PM

Nice Topes:tumble::tumble:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Give the guy a break!

He doesn't deserve a break; the post was stupid.
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 09:23 PM

There was a dog in the picture I'll have to go back and take another peek or two or four.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Give the guy a break! It obviously just wasn't his cup of tea! So what? He never suggested no one else should go just that it wasn't particularly to his liking and that he preferred Baja. Get over it. Do you folks get this defensive when someone orders something different than you from a restaurant menu?

I think people are fine letting him have his opinion. I just think many people thought it was broad, unspecific, and a little negative.

Many people have misconceptions of Mexico to begin with. Our friends often think we are nuts for even going to Mexico. (Bandits, crime, evil cops, blah blah blah)

I'm fine with Cap' George not liking the mainland. I'm sure he has his own reasons and that is fine with me. I realize everyone has different ideas and goals about how vacation should be spent.

I could list off several towns both in Baja and in the mainland that I don't like; but, I think it's unfair to write off an entire region because of a few bad places or experiences. I and others just want people to see the other side of the coin before they form preconceived ideas that may keep them away from someplace they may truly enjoy.

I love mountains and forests; yet, I'm also a big fan of Spanish colonial architecture. The mainland has plenty of both. Baja is just one example of the great diversity of Mexico, as would be a congested street in Mexico City.

Solitude and wilderness is easy to come by in Baja; but, some of the best wilderness in Mexico is on the mainland. Finding true solitude on the mainland can be difficult but it is posible. I have many fond memories of returning from a long hike and curling up in a blanket next to a small fire as torrential rain begins to fall outside in the cloud forest.

I still think the best way to experience the mainland is by bus. Otherwise, you are essentially shut out of the cramped historic districts of almost every town in central Mexico. With a large vehicle you are relegated to the cinder block burbs on the outskirts of town where the roads are wider, more modern, and conducive to large rigs and parking.

Like I said before: I'm fine with Capt George having his opinion. But, I don't have to agree with it any more than he has to agree with me. I just wanted people to see the other side of the coin before they let their preconceived ideas keep them away from someplace they may enjoy.

standingwave
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 10:14 PM

I remember sitting on the beach with some friends after a good surf (Pescadero, c.1983) when this gentleman came up and started going on and on about how, and I remember his exact words, "Mexico is a land of liars, cheats and thieves". We looked at each other, laughed uncomfortably and waited for him to go away without being too rude. It was obvious that he hadn't had much fun lately and we felt sorry for him. At the same time we could see how his attitude, his "opinions" weren't making things any better for him, except perhaps when he found agreement and could feel better after commiserating with someone else. Needless to say we didn't agree with him at all and were happy when he left. Now if he had come up and said, "I've had a real miserable day and feel like s**t, anyone got a beer..." maybe things would have been different...:lol:

\"I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea.\"
James Cook
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 10:37 PM

Mango, you've made your point about mainland Mexico eloquently with those pictures. I agree with most everything you say except about the best way to see it. I believe that having your own vehicle and traveling at your own pace is far better than taking taxis and buses.

I also feel that I know where captn George is coming from. Mango, you're a seasoned mainland traveler and George is not. My first trip was much like George's: a series of frustrations and anger as everything seemed to conspire against me. At the same time I was well aware of the new world that was opening up to me. As you travel more you ignore the bad and seek and appreciate the good. It's a growing process.

The other option is to stay at the hotel, use the pool occasionally, take a few tours, and fly back home. No headaches. A different vacation. It's what the vast majority do.

P.s. I look at the first of the two pictures in your last post and am drawn to it as it characterizes much of latin america. It's photographed lovingly by someone who know exactly what he likes.

[Edited on 3-3-2008 by Skipjack Joe]
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 01:09 AM

Skipjack, to tell you the truth. I've never driven on the mainland, I've only driven in Baja. Although, I personally don't have much desire to drive on the mainland, due to some reasons outlined by Capt George, I agree with you about having a car out in the country. I've seen so many great places/roads fly by the bus window that I have wanted to stop at or turn down. But, alas.. there is always "next trip" or the option of returning on a local bus the next day for a day trip.

I usually stay at really old hotels right in the center of town with no parking and am very glad not to have a car. It makes me slow down, walk around, and enjoy where I am, instead of zooming off to somewhere else where the grass is supposed to be greener. Its very cheap to travel by bus and you have much less to worry about.

I really enjoy taking day trips from the cities/towns while riding in the back of pickups/combis/buses down little roads to the little towns nobody goes. It's slower; but, you get to meet the locals and find out about find out about the hidden gems you'd miss otherwise. (I've spent many of hours on a hard seat in a noisy bus terminal or sat next to screaming kids as well, so it does have its drawbacks.)

I too know where Capt' George is coming from. The mainland can be intimidating, hectic, and unfamiliar. The fist time I went to Guadalajara I hated it. I had a horrible time. It was my first trip to Mexico and I had only been in Mexico 3 days when I was abandoned my my taxi driver at the closed train station in the middle of the night. It was in a seedy industrial area and I was unable to find another taxi or bus.

I spent the whole night taking refuge in "Hotel Estation" (The worst hotel in all of Mexico IMO) Giant roaches climbed the walls as freight trains roared by just outside my window all night long. I pulled the bed to the middle of the room, wrapped myself in my bug net, and tied a knot at my feet and waited for the sun to rise. It was so bad I left an hour before sunrise and took my chances walking the streets in the dark. I took the first bus I could get out of there.

:lol:

A few years later I decided to give it another try and loved Guadalajara. Go figure, that horrible night in the hotel almost ruined the town for me.

The best thing that I did on that first trip was take each day, person, and place as a new one. I wound up throwing out most of my plans and listened to locals about where to go and stay. I had a great time, spent very little money, and I was hooked.
bajaboolie
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 11:43 AM

Mango, those pictures were beautiful. What city is it?

For myself, I've only been to the mainland once. In college at summertime, I went to Morelia and lived with a family for a month. We visited Guanijuato and Guadalajara in that time, and I really enjoyed the trip.

I'd love to go again sometime, but there are so many places in the world I'd like to visit. So much to see, so little vacation time....

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, Capt.

Bajaboolie
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 12:26 PM

For you newbies.
Capt. George:
From the Streets of New York, to Cape Cod, to Key West Fla. George got a Whiff of Baja and there he went, First to Loreto, then to the Pacific, then to Alaska, then back to Baja!
Always moving, seeking Adventure.

Capt. George is one of those :Lost Souls" always seeking that which he cannot Find!
PEACE OF MIND!

I Pray that one Day George will look deep in his Heart and know that where he goes his Demons will follow until such time as his Heart becomes the Center of his Universe and he will Finally be at Peace.

I liked George the first time I layed Eyes on Him at Key West, I wish Him
well. May God Bless you Capt. George.

From an Ole Texas Cowboy to a New York Street Fighter.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 01:17 PM

Few countries on earth provide such rich geographic, cultural and culinary options as does Mexico.
Who could forget the zocalo in Oaxaca (flor de Mexico) and it’s anthropology museum, public market and mole stands; The Yucatan and the jewel of Tulum and the ancient Maya Pyramids, miles of white sand beaches and turquoise water, sacred cenotes to swim in; Monte Alban and over a hundred archeological sites; Puebla and it's musical Spanish and tiled everything ; Querétaro and its history, home of Juanipero Serra who named the missions of California after the cathedrals’ in Queretaro, patrimony of humanity city; the tunnels, streets and mummies of Guanajuato; the winding hills and tiled roofs of Taxco and it’s wealth of silver; the mariachis and the triple deck public market in Guadalajara, murals, gardens; the pyramids of Tlaxcala where you can still see the original colors of the murals, The Voladores of Papantla ; the cuisine of Merida and its unique architecture, parks and public music/dance/theater; El Fuerte and the Copper Canyon, land of the Tarahumara; the flamingos of Celestune; The verdant Michoacán; lovely Colima with its museum of terra cotta dancing chiwawas; the beaches of the pacific coast; the jungles of the south; the murals of Orozco and Rivera; Ballet Folklórico de México. So many Mexico’s and so little time.

Iflyfish
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 02:00 PM

Growing up in Holland and always having "the Wanderlust", traveled all over Europe, by "thumb", bike ,scooter and bus and train while in my teens and early twenties.
Did a 2 months trip into mainland Mexico a few years back and enjoyed that immensely also. Wonderful people, great scenery and great old colonial architecture. Stayed downtown whereever possible. Drove a small car to easily maneuver the narrow streets. Had one "bad" experience, but that shouldn't deter a seasoned traveler. Write it off to another life's lessons learned.:saint:
Here some pics from central Mexico: Durango, Zacatecas, San Miguel, Queretaro, etc. Hope they post:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 02:39 PM

Your photos are beautiful, Mango - thank you so much.

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Few countries on earth provide such rich geographic, cultural and culinary options as does Mexico.
Who could forget the zocalo in Oaxaca (flor de Mexico) and it’s anthropology museum, public market and mole stands; The Yucatan and the jewel of Tulum and the ancient Maya Pyramids, miles of white sand beaches and turquoise water, sacred cenotes to swim in; Monte Alban and over a hundred archeological sites; Puebla and it's musical Spanish and tiled everything ; Querétaro and its history, home of Juanipero Serra who named the missions of California after the cathedrals’ in Queretaro, patrimony of humanity city; the tunnels, streets and mummies of Guanajuato; the winding hills and tiled roofs of Taxco and it’s wealth of silver; the mariachis and the triple deck public market in Guadalajara, murals, gardens; the pyramids of Tlaxcala where you can still see the original colors of the murals, The Voladores of Papantla ; the cuisine of Merida and its unique architecture, parks and public music/dance/theater; El Fuerte and the Copper Canyon, land of the Tarahumara; the flamingos of Celestune; The verdant Michoacán; lovely Colima with its museum of terra cotta dancing chiwawas; the beaches of the pacific coast; the jungles of the south; the murals of Orozco and Rivera; Ballet Folklórico de México. So many Mexico’s and so little time.

Iflyfish

while it is true that a picture is worth a thousand words, some words are as evocative as some pictures. thank you, iflyfish, for the memories. i have not visited all the sites you name, but i know most of them. :yes::yes::yes:

de acuerdo "so many mexicos and so little time."

lili
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 05:54 PM

Lili, thanks for the kind words. I still have not sorted out how to post pics on this site so words will have to suffice.

Iflyfish
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaboolie
Mango, those pictures were beautiful. What city is it?

Last two I posted were San Miguel de Allende and Taxco. Two fine cities.. nowhere near the beach.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.