Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico needs a New Revolution
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2004 at 11:11 AM
Mexico needs a New Revolution

In todays Bakersfield paper was a oped by Thomas Friedman about Mexico and what it needs to do to improve society. I think it's a good piece. Basically he says that Canada, Mexico and the U.S. need to go beyond NAFTA and start building a North American Community. We need to establish a North American Investment Fund which, over ten years, will invest in roads, telecommunications and post secondary education in Mexico. He points out that the Eurpean Union did the same thing when Spain, Portugal, Greece and Ireland were added. The ideal is to narrow the income gap and thus an incentive for the workers to stay home. He says the U.S. and Canada should be the ones contributing to the fund while Mexico contributes an equal amount in new taxes and implements the reforms that will make it's economy more competitive. If you have a chance read the complete article.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2004 at 02:44 PM

Unlikely, our leaders are too stupid to do anything worth while for our nation, Mexico needs a lot of things, but i highly doubt real changes will be made with the caliber of politicians we have.

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 04:45 PM
MEXICO/AMERIKA

Perhaps Amerika needs a revolution???

Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 07:40 PM

TW, I wonder if you have any idea who Thomas Friedman writes for, I find it difficult to believe. Your clue; the initials of the paper are "NYT".

Maybe you might enjoy this read as well;
http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?messageD...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2004 at 10:53 AM

Nikon, I know who Friedman writes for and I normally do not agree with him. But, I thought this was an interesting piece. I think what he suggest could be part of an over all solution to the illegal immigrants coming in.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 03:51 PM
Mexican Progress

The biggest problem for Mexican development, right behind it's
rampant corruption, is the difficulty of coming to terms with
foreign investment, especially from the U.S. Although U.S.
companies are finally making inroads, the necessary investment
in the heavy industries, notably petroleum, is a problem. This
was noted recently in the articles about the new deep-water oil
resources located. Mexico has neither the funds or the expertise
to deal with them, but is resistant to giving the ownership
guarantees necesarry for investment.

This traces back to the long established demonization of the U.S.
by the Mexican Plutocracy. For many years now, I have read
editorial positions always blaming the U.S. for whatever evils
possible. This is their way of taking the heat off of their
own government. I've told friends for years that if they read
the Spanish-Language editorials in the Mexican papers, they'd
be hesitant to travel south of the border.

The resulting problem for the government is their fear of popular
anger (and revolt ?) should they give up too much inland and ownership
to American interests.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 05:50 PM

Biggest problem in Mexico, is racism.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 06:55 PM
Racism

Are you referring to racism within the native populace or Racism against
Foreigners ? I know that both exist, but to what extent ?
One example of each type that I remember came from convesations with my
landlord. When the trouble in Chiapas was at it's height, he lamented
the actions the government was taking against the Indian farmers as
Racism. Although a successful businessman, he never forgot his agrarian
roots as a farmer on the mainland. On the other hand, I had a German
friend visit with his Filipina wife. The patron asked me if she was
Chinese and I replied "no,filipina". He frowned and gave a dismissive
wave of his hand and said "ah, it's the same thing".
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 08:57 PM

20% of the population who is mostly of european descent own almost 90% of all wealth in Mexico, and the 80% left who are more indian, are completely ignored and discriminated against.

Mexico is NEVER going to achieve anything unless that 80% of the population is included in the Mexican economy.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2004 at 09:55 PM
Mr.BillM

"When the trouble in Chiapas was at it's height, he lamented
the actions the government was taking against the Indian farmers as
Racism. "

Were you and your landlord living in Chiapas ?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 10:42 AM
JR

The inference (perhaps incorrect) that I take from your question is whether one could have
an accurate view of a problem without having been there. Of course, that's absurd so it's
probably not what you mean. What all of us know of most world events are formed by what
we see, hear and read. In fact, in many cases, eyewitnesses to history can have a very
skewed and inaccurate memory of those events.

Be that as it may, my landlord's assessment of the conflict was formed based on what he
had seen on TV, read in Mexican newspapers and his own early years. He is primarily or
completely of Indian blood and grew up as a boy on a farm. For myself, before talking to
him, I hadn't given the Racist angle much thought. However, even the U.S. newspaper
accounts have given a lot of space to that aspect and the longstanding discrimination
in Mexico against the Indian populace so it's not something he dreamed up.

These conflicts are always colored by the fact that it is usually a Marxist inspired
and led resistence. The pattern has always been to find a suppressed minority in a
third-world country and mobilize them based on promises of equality and prosperity
and we tend to view the conflict in Black and White terms as strictly a battle between
Capitalism and Communism when the truth is that the majority of the people fighting
aren't devout Marxists, but simply looking for a way out of poverty and suppression.
Unfortunately, even if they win, they find that they've simply traded one oppressor
for another.

The short answer to your question is NO, neither of us were in Chiapas during that
time. Neither was I in New York on 9/11, Saigon when it fell, Dresden or Tokyo when
they were firebombed, or a myriad of other places that I have knowledge of.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 11:42 AM
Actually Bill

I have had an interest in talking to people who actually know of what they speak when it comes to Chiapas. For a number of reasons besides politics.
But, after viewing some of your other political views, I thought that question might bunch up your panties a little. hahahahahahahaha:lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 05:16 PM
JR

Glad that I could brighten up your day a bit.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 06:36 PM

Racism can be found almost everywhere in one form or another. My daughter in law is from Panama and she was complaining about the Mexican governments handling of the Chiapas problem (when it was in the news a few years back) when my son mentioned how a band of indians in Panama were denied voting rights, to which she nearly exploded saying they didn't deserve to vote. It went on for a while but I think you get the picture.

I have found it interesting that most if not nearly all people in power in Mexico (Mayors, senators, presidents) are of a lighter skin color and usually have more european features ie: nose, cheek bones etc. as opposed to indian.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 06:53 PM

Yah, like is 'FOX' really a Mexican or Spanish name? I would think ZORRO would be more catchy!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 07:58 PM
Thanks Bill

combined with the scallops this honky gringo got from some beaner friends in Mulege it turned out to be a great day. Racism Ha!
Until we can all learn to laugh at the labels and realize that there is something valuable to learn from everyone on this planet, we are doomed as a planet.
Keep the nonsense at the high school rivalry level. After that, we should have grown up !
Humans, Period !!!!!!!:light:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 11:43 AM

The other night I remembered a somewhat interesting incident that I ran across Years
ago. A friend and I were going through an abandoned cabin out beyond Yucca Valley and
we came across boxes of Old Books. One of these was a Tourbook for Mexico written in
the 30s or 40s. Among the requirements listed was one that advised anyone bringing
along their NEGRO servants to Mexico would be required to post a bond for each.

Of course, the above simply represents the attitude prevalent throughout much of the
western world, especially the U.S. I remember being in Mississippi (USAF) during the
early 60s and segregation was still rampant. Separate
seating, water fountains, entrances and back of the
bus.

When Agatha Christie first published her novel "Ten Little Indians" in England, the
title was "Ten Little ******s", a term used by the British to describe not only
Africans, but East Indians.

The fact that these things are no longer considered acceptable for the vast majority
of civilized society is a sign that we have progressed. Unfortunately, there are
still areas of the world where the wrong religion, race or tribe can mean death.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 07:34 PM
But as you say,

We have progressed.
And now that we just don't know who we are talking to through these contraptions, and the fact that more people are going more places on the planet, I betcha it gets even better !
Depending of course on how they act when they get there!:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 07:57 PM

Yes, things have progressed... The younger folks will never know how recent it was that minorities were not quite at the same level, same playing field.

I lived in Darwin, Australia for 6 months in 1970 and the theatres had a seperate entrance and seating area for Aboriginies. There was other segragration, but that one I can visualize easily from memory. There was no TV yet in Darwin, so movies were a frequent event. There was even news reels like in America, before TV.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2004 at 09:40 PM
I agree with Jesse

Without a middle class Mexico is doomed to continue as a third world nation. A middle class is slowly emerging---but at this rate it will take fifty years for it to happen. Mexico is rich in petroleum, metals, ore and good hard working people. In fact, the people are the best resource Mexico has. But they must have opportunity. As long as the rich continue to take all the profits from the economy, Mexico will remain poor. Fox is a start, but, most of the local politicians are still on the take and the cartel money and power are controlling much of Mexico now. As for racism, we all need to improve on that. The world has become a very small with the advant of computers and other communication. There no longer is any place for racism---except against the French and some Canadians (chiste).:biggrin:

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.