BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: GRINGOS GRINGOS GRINGOS!
CaliMex

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 10:18 AM
GRINGOS GRINGOS GRINGOS!

Hi! I'm new to this website.and i live right on the border of mexico in San Diego county.and i think there is alot of amazing
stories on here but one thing i have noticed is that alot of the people on here don't seem to be open minded at all when visiting mexico.i mean all the people
talk on here about is the typical gringo food like eating "FISH TACOS" and SHRIMP TACOS" i mean c'mon they make out like that is the only food in mexico. i mean i have been immersed into the mexican culture all of my life here on the border and most mexicans hardly eat those 2 types of tacos.it sells alot because they know the gringos like em and buy em.just from reading all of these baja web pages it seems like alot of people don't even talk about meeting the local people in pueblos they go through or immerising themselves into the mexican culture..there is such a wide variety and diversity of foods in mexico.
and it seems like all everyone talks about
and thinks mexico is fish&shrimp that is not real mexican culture at all.like i said those tacos are sold because they knows you will fork out the cash for em and corona beer was made by a german guy who was a brew-meister that moved to mexico. i mean i don't hear anyone talking about the rich beautiful culture the mexican people posess.and it's kinda embarassing people have this type of mentality when they visit baja.i've talk to alot of mexicans and they ask why do gringos just talk about fish&shrimp tacos? and they laugh and say that is not the only food in mexico...they think it's funny how americans think that is the ideal food of the country.just like when you go to a taco shop, out of the whole menu...people only order carne asada burrito,rolled tacos,quesadilla or bean and cheese burrito..i c'mon! that is soooo generic.....it seems like alot of gringos are closeminded and once they try something they have to stick with it and thats what they think is original. and another thing i don't hear people talking about immersing themselves into the spanish language...i hope you don't have the average patriotic american mindset where you expect foreigners to speak your language when you are visiting their country.because i've seen alot of americans do that and that is one thing that upsets the peopleof mexico & dont even make an attempt try to commnicate with a few words in spanish with them. the people feel since the anglo/gringo is already rich and have alot of money unlike them that the gringo feels all and mighty the he looks at them as nobodys and feels like he doesn't have to learn spanish at all...so i'm not here to be a jerk i'm just giving you a real real scoop on mexican culture and how to prevent cultural ignorance when visiting the country and how not to look emabarassing to the mexican people because the actions of us are made fun of quite a bit in the country and alot of people don't realize it or have a clue. one last thing mexican people respect you and love it when you show interest into their culture and language and not gringo tacos such "FISH&SHRIMP TACOS DUDE!!"c'monpeople let's be openminded
and leave that dry/bland american mentality at home when visiting this beautiful country.....
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 01:05 PM

Fish and Shrimp Tacos are very popular with Mexicans, you should know this if you knew what you where talking about.

Obviously, you don't.

CaliMex

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 01:36 PM

yes,

fish and shrimp tacos are eaten in mexico but they are not the most popular thing with mexicans....the whole"image of baja"
with americans minds are "baja fish tacos" "shrimp tacos" and drinking a corona with a lime and salt or some cheesy margarita.....mexico is beyond that....you know nothing about mexican culture....i'm part hispanic....don't try to
challenge me with the culture you're just a "BAJA TRAVELER"......i had 2 friends from mexico visit this website and laugh so hard at how the people on here see and view mexico from their eyes.......fish tacos
are sold widely throughout baja to accomodate the american tourist because that is a good portion of their economical income....go to real places like guadalajara,yucatan,oaxaca,chiapas if you want to see real mexican food and real mexican culture....it's funny...that a bunch of rich yuppies from here meet up with their social club and get thier RV club together..and head out to baja and stop by little tourist places to eat on beaches
and sip some margaritas,or eat their infamous fish tacos and then whine about
the conditions or service in mexico because they are use to being pampered and spoon fed in the u.s. and then complain about the hot weather and being sun burn't and refuse to attempt to learn,speak or communicate in spanish
because they expect people to speak english and tend to forget what country they are in....but anyways i'm just trying to tell it how it is...and alot of people live
in this oddball pipdream about what mexico is...
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 01:46 PM

Dude, i live in Tijuana, 100% Mexican, ********, your either **********, or under 15.

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by BajaNomad]

CaliMex

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 02:17 PM

you're an american who moved to tijuana
you are not a national citizen. plus tijuana
is the armpit of mexico.************

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 02:32 PM
Your grammar and the Taco Bell Dog

Here's some helpful hints for your ****** English grammar *******(*****************):
SYLLABICATION: gram?mar
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: grmr KEY
NOUN: 1a. The study of how words and their component parts combine to form sentences. b. The study of structural relationships in language or in a language, sometimes including pronunciation, meaning, and linguistic history.
2a. The system of inflections, syntax, and word formation of a language. b. The system of rules implicit in a language, viewed as a mechanism for generating all sentences possible in that language.
3a. A normative or prescriptive set of rules setting forth the current standard of usage for pedagogical or reference purposes. b. Writing or speech judged with regard to such a set of rules.
FURTHERMORE....I love the Taco Bells in Baja, very original. Now...where's my Taco Bell dog go, or was that in my fish taco I just ate?

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 05:07 PM

Calimex

You said you lived "right on the border of mexico". Just curious, which side?

++Ken++
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 06:38 PM
fish tacos

True not all of Mexico eats Fish tacos but Baja California North and South do!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 07:20 PM
Calimex....my oh my!

Do you have the wrong idea when you think this board is full "rich American Yuppies" that just eat fish/shrimp tacos and don't have a clue about Mexican culture...... :spingrin:

Don't know how old you are but, I would venture a guess that many, MANY of the posters on this board have been going to/ living in and spending time in Mexico for may more years than you have been alive.

And when I saw your comment to Jesse I almost choked on my vino!

Don't know how long you have been reading this board, but, I suggest that you may want to hang around a bit longer and learn a bit more before you embarress yourself again. I'm also not trying to be a "jerk" just giving you a 'head-up' amigo. :)

[Edited on 4-12-2004 by Debra]
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 07:24 PM

I like shrimp tacos....
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2004 at 07:41 PM
Tacos

Maybe you will learn to enjoy "crow tacos".
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 09:03 AM

You can't find a fish taco better than the ones made in Ensenada at the fish market pier. That makes fish tacos a specialty there, and I love them. Calimex, what is it that you recommend then? I can find some fabulous pig roasts in Baja occasionally, but really, "Mexican" food, as you must know, is regional, and fish tacos is some of what Baja California cooks do best. And if you read the beer poll taken not too long ago, it was Pacifico that won. Me gusta cerveza con mi tacos pescado. Y tu?
Kathleen

eureka.gif posted on 4-12-2004 at 09:18 AM
Gringos

I lived in San Jose del Cabo for six months. The "taco stand" that was my favorite was also a favorite of the native Mexicans that lived there. I rarely saw a tourist standing in the long line.
Mexicans do indeed love tacos. Just as we in the United States love sandwiches.

Kathleen

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish,
ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
Mother Teresa
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 11:54 AM
Calimex

Perhaps you could enlighten us on what the typical mexican likes to eat---besides rice and beans. I like just about everything they have down there, but I am not fussy. As for Tijuana being the armpit of Mexico---that is a very unkind thing to say. I don't particularly like Tijuana, but I do have many fond memories of my youthful days spent there---and at Caliente Race track. There are some nice areas in Tijuana and I am sure there are cities much uglier than Tijuana. I prefer Baja Sur to Baja Norte, but that is just my own preference. Many parts of Los Angeles are uglier and more dangerous than Tijuana. Please tell us your favorite Mexican food.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaliMex
fish and shrimp tacos are eaten in mexico but they are not the most popular thing with mexicans....

Yea, sure! Next thing you will try and get us to believe is that Cinco de Mayo is NOT the biggest holiday in Mexico! :lol:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 02:10 PM

Who is dis guy? Fahgetaboutit! Everyone knows that Mexican's favorite food is pastrami.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 03:29 PM
Pastrami

?Simon, pero con jalape?os y mayonesa!:lol:
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
Perhaps you could enlighten us on what the typical mexican likes to eat---besides rice and beans. Please tell us your favorite Mexican food.

Well, c'mon punk...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 05:38 PM

Having traveled to San Felipe (and beyond) since 1965, I can guarantee you the fish taco was NOT invented for gringos.

Originally sold from walk up stands and carts, to the locals... we decided to be 'brave' and see what the heck a fish taco was...

I think Ralph Rubio was in town that weekend and watched as my high school friends and I began scarffing these gems down (20 cents each, then)... I started taking my friends to the San Felipe fish taco stand and almost had to pay them to try one... I mean... "a FISH taco???" think about it... sounds gross at first, to most.

The popularity exploded after about 1980... Nope, it wan't created to supply an American demand... the Mexican showed us what was good!!!

[Edited on 4-13-2004 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 05:49 PM

I like fish tacos; they're good. But how do native bajacalifornios spell fish taco?

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.