BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: out of country vehicle registration?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 06:26 AM
out of country vehicle registration?

I've heard the story somewhere that if you are living in MX you can register your vehicle in either North or South Dakota as a non-resident. Anyone know anything about this???:?::?:

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 07:12 AM

Bob....

Put...South Dakota car registration... in the search window below.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
I've heard the story somewhere that if you are living in MX you can register your vehicle in either North or South Dakota as a non-resident. Anyone know anything about this???:?::?:

Our vehicle has SD plates and title. Was very easy, but I recently heard from another Nomad that SD will no longer license vehicles for non-residents. Let us know what happens.

I think the world is run by C- students.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 08:33 AM

Think you have to go to the correct county in SD to register.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Think you have to go to the correct county in SD to register.

Lou, they called Clay County Treasurer just as you originally informed me to do. "I called the number you quoted and got nowhere with the lady except to be told that I was attempting to break the law by requesting to register my car in S.D. without County residence"

This was not my experience when I licensed and titled our vehicle and, later, our trailer in S.D.

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 09:31 AM

???
I have 4 registered there????

Maybe find out something at renewal time.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
thanks to all responders. anyone have phone no. for clay county treasurer:yes:

I sent you that info in a U2U earlier today.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 01:23 PM

They have a website.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 06:52 PM

Quote:

I could not get my 1987 Suzuki Samuari through emissions and I want to drive it on the streets in Mexico. A friend told me about

www.claycountysd.org

I called them and told them I was not goind to live in or even be near South Dakota. She told me it was legal as long as I obtained mandatory insurance should I ever relocate to SD.

$24 bucks later I have SD plates.

:biggrin:
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

I called them and told them I was not goind to live in or even be near South Dakota. She told me it was legal as long as I obtained mandatory insurance should I ever relocate to SD.

$24 bucks later I have SD plates.

:biggrin:

Same here but last year. When did you do it? Just wondering if they changed the rules recently.

vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 08:41 PM

We had a good experience with the Pennington County, South Dakota
Treasurer's Office. You can go to the website printout the forms, send to Pennington County. We used our address in California, paid by money order. If you need to call there is a customer service number.
605+394-2163
There is no need to volunteer information, they did not ask questions re the location of the vehicle.

http://www.co.pennington.sd.us/treasurer/titles.htm
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 08:46 PM

On the Mexico Connect forum any new folks are encouraged not to call the SD DMV with expat car registration questions fearing that it will eventually blow it for everyone if the Clay County's intrepretation of the rules are "exposed". Instead they refer people to this website for the following info. It looks like vjfamily has had luck with another county too- good news!

Sorry I don't have personal experience with SD car registration, I just have this site bookmarked for the near future.

Many people have complained that they called SD DMV and were told they can not register. Please don't call there!! Only use the number below. This one county in SD seems to be the only place that is doing out of state registration!

The more you pee off the state MV in SD the more likely they will clamp down on Clay county! This year we renewed and got our new plates with no problem.

Both of our cars are now wearing red, white and blue South Dakota plates. We did this for a bunch of reasons. There is some confusion about the law in Mexico and if you must have a current registration on a U.S. plated vehicle.

If you expect to at any time visit the U.S. with the vehicle you will need a current registration and insurance which can only be obtained if the vehicle has an up to date registration. It is our understanding that Mexican law does require that U.S. plated vehicles have a current registration. This is despite the current status of your FM3. As far as the government is concerned if your FM3 is current your importation sticker is current. This has nothing to do with your vehicle's registration! If you are stopped and your registration is expired you may under Mexican law be ticketed and fined. This has happened to drivers in tourist areas, such as Puerta Vallarta.

For registration, South Dakota does not require a vehicle inspection or proof of current U.S. insurance. You can register and renew annually via the internet and mail following the steps below.

This is the form page of the South Dakota website http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/forms.htm

This is the phone number and address: 1-605-677-7123

Clay County Treasurer

211 W. Main St.

Suite 201

Vermillion, S.D. 57069

You will need to download these forms from the page listed above:

Affidavit for Vehicle/Boat Registration - Statement of Fact, also used to correct an error that may have been made on documentation.

Uniform Damage Disclosure Statement - Disclosure of damage on qualifying vehicles.

You fill out the forms. You get the VIN number of your vehicle. You call the treasurer at the phone number above. The very nice lady there will tell you how much it costs to transfer your title and the cost to register your vehicle for the balance of the current year, i.e. to transfer a '02 Jeep Wrangler was $55.00 US to title and register.

You then FED-EX her your existing title, and the forms with a check to the above address. You can Fed-Ex from Barbara's Bazaar here in Ajijic. You need a U.S. Address where they will then mail your new title, registration and plates. The plates and registration should be in the mail and to the U.S. address within a week. The new S. D. title should be to the stateside address within two weeks. Whomever or whatever is handling your stateside address will then Fed-Ex them here to you.

Purchasing a new car stateside: You can buy a car in most states in the U.S. and have it titled in S.D. by the dealer. This then allows you to only pay 3% sales tax to S.D. not whatever is the sales tax of the state you buy it in! For example, if you buy a car in Texas, you then save 5% of their 8% sales tax. If you buy a car privately you will pay S.D. a 3% registration tax on the purchase price listed on the transferred title.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 09:21 PM

Do those of you who have registered your cars in South Dakota also have South Dakota Drivers licenses, or is it ok to have a Drivers License from a state other than the state your car's registered in? I've been told that if you drive in the U.S. , the highway patrol will issue citations if they don't match. Anyone with experience in this? :?:
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 10:08 PM
Fee's for So. Dakota License and Reg.

Looking through the site, both of my vehicles are tax exempt, due to age. I did not see the actual dollar figure for the license and registration. I saw $24.00 in a prior post, could someone point me towards the fee location.
thanks brian
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 12:18 AM

Here is the url for South Dakota fees, click on "non commerical vehicles" and you will get detailed PDf with fees set by vehicle age and weight. Good luck.

http://www.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/fee_schedule/fees.h...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.