Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: TOP O' THE MORNING TO YE
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 06:30 AM
TOP O' THE MORNING TO YE

Sure and don't ya know it's ST. PATRICK'S DAY in Baja. One of the best world-wide celebrations, the 'wearing of the green' has spread all across the globe and brought good cheer to all. Something we always need more of...no matter our location.

The spirit of Paddy's Day is such an infectious one, it cuts across all religions, nationalities and other man made barriers. So get decked out in green and 'get out amongst 'em.' It's downright addictive...even for this Dakota Norski.

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY!

For those poor unfortunate souls who are in danger of missing their portions of corned beef and cabbage here's a recipe for the missus:

Corned-Beef Dinner, Irish Style
Ingredients :
3-4 lbs corned beef brisket
2 onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
6 whole cloves
6 medium potatoes, pared
5 small carrots, pared
1 medium head of cabbage, cut in 6 wedges

Preparation :
Place corned beef in Dutch oven, and barely cover with hot water; add onion, garlic, cloves, and bay leaves. Cover and simmer (do not let boil)1 hour per pound of meat, or till fork tender. Remove meat from liquid; add potatoes and carrots. . Cover; bring to boiling and cook 10 minutes.
Then add cabbage wedges; continue cooking 20 minutes longer or till vegetables are done.

Spice Glaze:
If you like, glaze the corned beef while vegetables cook. Spread fat side of meat lightly with prepared mustard. Then sprinkle with mixture of 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves. Place in shallow pan. Bake in moderate oven 350 degrees 15 to 20 minutes or till nicely glazed.

On a personal note: Unfortunately, I was a wee bit tardy on filling my shopping list the other day and missed the last package of corned beef brisket at Saul's Market. (A devilish poker game at El Candil kidnapped me for some 4 hours..and then there was this barmaid..) More's the pity then, because we are forced to eat Bart's St. Paddy's Day dinner at the Jungla. The Irish will be there in force with thier Bushmills and green lager...ah well, it's me duty, don't ya know.

[Edited on 3-18-2008 by Pompano]

- 0 a leprechaun.gif - 6kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:17 AM

Thank you, Roger. Have a good one.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:23 AM

It's St. Paddy's Day - find some leprechauns and follow them.
Great day to everyone!

Nena

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:39 AM
May your day be green.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:40 AM

thanks roger

you SAVED me from many black and blue marks today!!!:no::no:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 10:06 AM

For those of you that can't cook (Boil water) at 3:00pm today at Shutup Franks...they will be serving a mighty plate for 100p. at least last year it was 100p...A bottle of Jameson is useally passed around for the real hearty of ya me boys! See ya there...Todos Santos.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 10:41 AM

Great recipe Pompano . . can you tell me how to say "corned beef brisket" in spanish? I'm heading in to CCC this morning and I KNOW there will be problems ..

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 10:44 AM

Aye, Rogelio!

Good chat the other night at Scotty's. Now, regarding today (St. Paddy's), I'd be tellin' ya fantastic stories, i would, but me throat is so-o-o-o-o-o dry!:rolleyes:

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
Great recipe Pompano . . can you tell me how to say "corned beef brisket" in spanish? I'm heading in to CCC this morning and I KNOW there will be problems ..

Never found corned beef yet in Baja. Your best chance would be Costco, if your willing to pay the price.:no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 12:11 PM

Thanks Roger, we ate St. Paddy's dinner at Jungla's last year or was it the year before? LOL I'm not sure, but I do remember it was very good.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 12:31 PM

Saul sells it every year at his tienda in downtown Mulege.
i have one cooking right now but i'd rather be eating at Bart's today for an unbelievable 80 peons!!

oh well.....that's what i get for coming home early.:no:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
i have one cooking right now but i'd rather be eating at Bart's today for an unbelievable 80 peons!!

Mike, you can do both, eat at Junglas if you bought a ticket in time, and have your corned beef for sandwiches. I usually cook 2 anyway. One just for the sandwiches!
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 04:41 PM
Roger...

I'm sittin' in Tijuana waiting for my car's paint to dry, and there's narry a sole around wearin' a bit o''green here! I've been doing my part by trying to drain some of TJ's cerveza supply, but I don't think I'm gaining on it!

...sorry I missed getting over to see you this trip...the trip was just to short while I was trying to tidy things up in our palapa while trying to sell. I had some 'tire kickers', but nothing definite till the day I was leaving, and a couple from Washington State showed up for a beach visit and were smitten right there on the spot! Who wouldn't be, right! I miss the damn place already!

Hope all you Irish transplants have a great St. Paddy's Day down there! We'll have to catch you next time...as we'll be back for a trip or two before to many months go by!

Raymondo "O'brian" (for a day) de Tijuana

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 06:08 PM

Irish today.......... sober tomorrow!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 06:48 AM
The Morning After.....

Sure and begorrah, it was a night to remember at the Jungle. It's a fact that I missed the corned beef and cabbage that was fed to the mob, though I was served with a wee bit more than my share of the Irish.

More's the pity, because during the singing I learned that 'Danny Boy' was indeed written by....and may the saints preserve us.....an Englishwoman..sigh. Pass the bottle again, me boyo.

For your Irish dinner grace, circa the potato famine:

"May the Lord bless us and keep us all alive.
There's ten of us for dinner...
....and only enough for five."

Dennis...May neighbours respect you, trouble neglect you, the angels protect you, and heaven accept you!

Nena and BMG..may rainbows and green cats? grace your lives.

Bob...you're on your own. I suggest 2 quick left jabs...then your best haymaker right. If Susan gets up after that, you're dead meat.

rob...I'll ask Saul Davis what he calls the corned beef cuts he brings in for our St. Patrick's Day dinners. Pretty sure it is not 'carne de vaca salada'. :rolleyes:

Tony..I have an idea that will interest you. On another thread I will post a photo/story of a favorite XM radio talk host we both enjoy...Ed Schultz. We've hunted together a few times. Hope that parched condition was cured in time for the next playing gig. I still think you guys should call yourself ..'The Soggy Bottom Boys.'

vandenbuy, RichnLinda,capt mike, Al G, Edguero...The Jungle has always been a great place to kiss the blarney stone in Mulege. Hope to see you there next time around. I can't recall a Baja tienda that sells the corned beef, other than once-a-year at Saul's in Mulege. Al G...how was Shut-up Franks? Edguero, sober hoy?

Ray...congrats on selling the palapa. I know you will miss the place...but you know the road back very well. Godspeed, you are always at home here.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 07:10 AM

And so it was that this Nomad forgot to wear green.
Almost made it through the day until my 6 year old noticed at dinner.
He wouldn't buy the fib that my undies were green.
Good thing I was wearing long-johns under my jeans !! :lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 07:47 AM
well......not exactly

because by coming home early i meant to USA, i left mulege on wed the 12th.
but i'll be baaaaaacccckk in april with the flyin docs.
so Bart's will be a fine respite fri nite!

Quote:
Originally posted by RichnLinda
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Mike, you can do both, eat at Junglas if you bought a ticket in time, and have your corned beef for sandwiches. I usually cook 2 anyway. One just for the sandwiches!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 07:56 AM

For those who missed out on the corned beef, don't feel bad. I didn't want to step on anyone's IRISH-AMERICAN tradition, but the truth is that little, if any, corned beef is consumed IN Ireland. If you think about it, they have a lot more sheep than cattle there. So lamb stew, rack of lamb, lamb chops or roast leg of lamb (with mint apple jelly?) or mutton would really be more "Irish". So if you could find borrego at the butcher shop... Barbacoa or birria would fit nicely. If no borrego, then chivo in a pinch.

If all else fails, there is always the truly traditional seven course Irish meal: A six-pack and a potato. :lol:

Never forget what is worth remembering
Never remember what is best forgotten

[Edited on 3-18-2008 by Oso]

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 09:24 AM

Oso...it's a lot like Norway and lutefisk. No person in Norway would willingly eat lutefisk..except perhaps that 'one time a year' during Christmas. It's mostly an American-Scandanavian thing, and is far more popular in the States than in the motherland.

For 1500 years, Ireland's traditional meal on the anniversary of St. Patrick's death (5th Century) is/was...Irish bacon and cabbage. But that has changed since 1995, when the Irish government started a campaign to promote tourism and thier economy by changing March 17th from a purely religious holiday (before the 1970's all pubs were closed on this day) to one of celebration. Nowadays the borne-in-America St. Patrick's Day festival is widely..and wildly..celebrated in Ireland also. Including corned beef and cabbage adopted from our Irish-American New York immigrants.

What goes around..comes around!

Here's another way to eat Irish if there is no corned beef available in your Baja tiendas:

BEEF AND GUINNESS PIE

2 lb boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
1 cup Guinness or other Irish stout
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons drained brined green peppercorns, coarsely chopped
2 fresh thyme sprigs
Rough puff pastry dough
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water

Special equipment: 4 (14-oz) deep bowls or ramekins (4 to 5 inches wide) or similar-capacity ovenproof dishes

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
Pat beef dry. Stir together flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Add beef, turning to coat, then shake off excess and transfer to a plate. Heat oil in a wide 5- to 6-quart ovenproof heavy pot over moderately high heat until just smoking, then brown meat in 3 batches, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes per batch, transferring to a bowl.

Add onion, garlic, and water to pot and cook, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pot and stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in beef with any juices accumulated in bowl, broth, beer, Worcestershire sauce, peppercorns, and thyme and bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer to oven. Braise until beef is very tender and sauce is thickened, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Discard thyme and cool stew completely, uncovered, about 30 minutes. (If stew is warm while assembling pies, it will melt uncooked pastry top.)

Put a shallow baking pan on middle rack of oven and increase oven temperature to 425°F.
Divide cooled stew among bowls (they won't be completely full). Roll out pastry dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13-inch square, about 1/8 inch thick. Trim edges and cut dough into quarters. Stir together egg and water and brush a 1-inch border of egg wash around each square. Invert 1 square over each bowl and drape, pressing sides lightly to help adhere. Brush pastry tops with some of remaining egg wash and freeze 15 minutes to thoroughly chill dough.

Bake pies in preheated shallow baking pan until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 400°F and bake 5 minutes more to fully cook dough.

Cooks' note: Stew (without pastry) can be made 2 days ahead, cooled completely, and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.

.......Now I've made myself hungry....off to the fridge for some leftovers.

[Edited on 3-19-2008 by Pompano]

Lindalou
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexray
I'm sittin' in Tijuana waiting for my car's paint to dry, and there's narry a sole around wearin' a bit o''green here! I've been doing my part by trying to drain some of TJ's cerveza supply, but I don't think I'm gaining on it!

...sorry I missed getting over to see you this trip...the trip was just to short while I was trying to tidy things up in our palapa while trying to sell. I had some 'tire kickers', but nothing definite till the day I was leaving, and a couple from Washington State showed up for a beach visit and were smitten right there on the spot! Who wouldn't be, right! I miss the damn place already!

Hope all you Irish transplants have a great St. Paddy's Day down there! We'll have to catch you next time...as we'll be back for a trip or two before to many months go by!

Raymondo "O'brian" (for a day) de Tijuana
Ray, you are leaving Baja? selling out and moving on?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.