Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Pros? Cons? Living in Baja
Seatrumpet
Junior Nomad

smile.gif posted on 4-13-2004 at 11:06 AM
Pros? Cons? Living in Baja

Can everyone or anyone tell me there Pros and Cons of living in the Baja Mexico Area? What do you love about it and what do you not like about it?
Thanks so much.....HOLA from Florida here!
We are about to move to Baja...would be great to get your inside to living there.:)
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 03:59 PM

Well Seatrumpet
It's not Florida. You'll have to learn to relax and let life kinda do it's thing till you catch on. If you dont speak spanish take some lessons. That will help in the trasition. Just respect all and you'll be repected. Smile alot and you'll be happy. It's pretty easy realy. Wish I could have stayed.But the other half needs me UP here for a few more years.....then ADIOS visit when you can! Cause I like the relaxed smiley respectfull way it is in THE Baja Have a good move hope to see you soon.

All that wonder are not lost
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 09:26 PM
Life is good

Been living here for 9 years and can't think of anywhere I'd rather be. Take a occasional vacation to the Old Country (The US) and then it's back to home in the baja:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 03:25 AM

"Young Man, Go for It and never Look Back!!
First Read Ray Cannon's "The Sea of Cortez and Believe it!

Take a trip to Baja Sur and keep your Eyes and Ears open!Learn to Talk to the Mexican People, Listen to their words, watch their actions, after a few trips pick you place and show respect for you Neighbors,Always Greet or Salute the people, be kind but not overly generous with your Money!
Call your neighbors "Mexicanos" ,request that you be called an "Americano"
Demonstrate the Goodness of man not the "Hatefilled Culture that we have in the States at this time!
In other words,try to become a "Mexicano, you can then realize what Baja and the Mexicano People are all About!
Try with all you Heart and Mind to respect you Neighbors,their children, their Ways!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 10:31 AM
Skeet/Loreto

Very well put!! You get back what you put in. Respect, integrity, and honor. That is what will get you through life. Great advice!! Baja Red
Seatrumpet
Junior Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 4-17-2004 at 06:45 AM
Pros and Cons living in Baja

I was born in Texas. Brought up among the natives of the fine Mexican friends. Never went to visit them without bringing some of my home cooking. Always have respect, understanding, and honor.

We, my husband and I are just down to earth, good folks! Thanks for all the help. By the way, my Indian name is Sea. HOLA Amigos!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 10:31 AM

Baja is a great place to live. The only problem is there are too many Mexicans there.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 01:18 PM

"Baja is a great place to live. The only problem is there are too many Mexicans there."
No, I did not like that one - not cool.

As far as pros and cons, yes; there are both of those types of people in Baja.

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2004 at 11:40 AM

Grover, you disagree with what? First I was scolding anon for the slam against Mexicans, then I was merely making a lame attempt at humor by saying that there are both pros and cons in Baja. (or anywhere else for that matter) The pros are the Professionals, (make that what you wish) and the cons are the Con Artists. I wasn't taking a stand; really.

Seatrumpet
Junior Nomad

smile.gif posted on 4-18-2004 at 01:18 PM
Pro's and Con's of Living in Baja

Hola,

Must say this has been interesting reading the pro's and the con's issues.

I am part Chotaw Indian/part Mexican that was raised in the states, but have always gone back to my Mexican roots.

So, now in the eve of my life, being part Mexican and to some standards maybe part Gringo, but really Indian, I am still going back to my roots.

Being brought up in Texas on the gulf, I still yearn for the small community, simple lifestyle, friends, good fishing, and enjoy nature in its beautiful simplistic state.

Interesting to me, how some may read a few words and not understand the person behind them.

Love this sight.......Thanks for all the insight>
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 04:19 AM

Born in Texas,picking cotton with the Mexicano familes at the young age of 5 , being of Indian blood,reportly Cherokee, and my wife having Choctaw family ties from "Red Oak Oklahoma" area, i was prepared for Baja in my Early years.

On going to Baja the first time in 1968 and living in LOreto for many years I found that your "Attidtue is Everthing':

Salute the People each time you meet them on the Street!
Ask about their Families!
Treat them with Respect;
Learn the Lanuage:
They love to Joke!
Smile and be Happy as they are!

'i have never met so many poor people, living in shacks,,with nothing, that are smiling and happy with their Life!
The attitude of "Not Today' is to be admired and copied.

So go to Baja,learn to love the People, its Baja's
greatest Resourse!

Skeet/Loreto
"In God I Trust'
Kathleen

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 12:16 PM
Mexicans

Quote:
Originally posted by Seatrumpet
Hola,

Must say this has been interesting reading the pro's and the con's issues.

I am part Chotaw Indian/part Mexican that was raised in the states, but have always gone back to my Mexican roots. >>>
Most Mexicans ARE part Indian.
Main Entry: Mex?i?can
Pronunciation: 'mek-si-k&n
Function: noun
Date: 1604
1 a : a native or inhabitant of Mexico b : a person of Mexican descent c : Southwest : a person of mixed Spanish and Indian descent

Kathleen

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish,
ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
Mother Teresa
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 01:16 PM
Pros and Cons

Another brilliant anonymous post I see. There are many many cons to living in Baja and very few pros. The reason being that most of Baja has already become americanized. This is easy for me to say sitting here in Los Barriles as this area is one of the worst. But most all areas are becoming the same old gringo or Canadian enclaves that Los Cabos and the east cape are.
The rents are still a little lower but changing so fast, you won't be able to pack before they are the same. I can't get out of the market in Barriles for under $100 and not for many bags of groceries either.
It is ridiculous what has happened to Baja and the government here is promoting the change along with rich Canadian and American developers. Pathetic what greed, money and power seem to do to the planet. Nothing good from what I have seen.
There are still some places though but extremely remote with not much to offer other than remoteness.
I recommend Alaska or the Bahamas.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 03:19 PM
ha!! JR - are you pooping me??!!

the bahamas fer krissakes...??

no bargains there my amigo.

and i bet you'll find that those who have a place in baja that is nice, in a nice development with nice amenities like what they have and are spending money freely supporting the local economy.
and generally couldn't give a rat's arse what other ex-pats not as fortunate as them think about it. i know i wouldn't. live and let live. the only constant is CHANGE. As the late brilliant Ken Kesey wrote, "you are either on the bus, or off the bus"... walking. Given a choice i'll ride.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2004 at 05:53 PM
J.R.

J. R. I have a request:

"Tell us where you are going, Not where you have Been!"

You are a very Blessed person to have expierenced the Remote Areas of Baja Sur/did you check out the good Photos of Tambibechie?
There will only be a few if any people going into the Rattlesnake Country. Most americans and Canadains want their Toys liqournear by, with all the modern day Devices to enable them to Drink themselves into Stupidity each Night. It Takes huevos to Seek out, Adventure,sleep on Hard rocks,chase Scoripions,eat the Dust and ride of the rough Rodes. Take Heart there are many places that you will be able to "runaway and Hide", be much better if you would get rid of that hangup and really start to enjoy the Mountains and the Sunsets.
Question: when you are in that Lonely Place that know one has been,What are you thinking?I hope not about Progress and its effect Parts of Baja!

Comon J. R. you are a good Guy, Let it go and you will enjoy Baja even More!

Skeet/Loreto
"In God I Trust'
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 06:48 AM

I love the idea of living in Baja but I might regret it:

---I certainly appreciate every moment I'm down there on vacation, but if I live there full time it may change my experience of it.
---By building a house in Baja am I not contributing to the demise of that which I love so much?

Kathleen

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 06:53 AM
living in baja

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
I love the idea of living in Baja but I might regret it:

---I certainly appreciate every moment I'm down there on vacation, but if I live there full time it may change my experience of it.
---By building a house in Baja am I not contributing to the demise of that which I love so much?

>>>>>

I lived in San Jose del Cabo. First I "housesat" for someone's RV while they were in the U.S. Then I rented a place.
Don't buy if you feel that way--rent one that is already there.
I appreciated it even more when I lived there.

Kathleen

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish,
ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
Mother Teresa
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 09:18 PM
Living here

I much more enjoy living here in Baja than when I was just visiting and vacationing. Time to see the country and canyons, get to know the people without all the rush to get back. More and more of us doing this so it does get more crowded with americans/canadians but as you all know we tend to clump up and leave lots of empty roomin between. I love the fact that every Friday, its out to see another canyon. and often other days also.
Steve, are you building down here?

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Seatrumpet
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 04:34 AM
Pro's & Con's about Baja!

Never thought so many folks would respond, HOW GREAT!
Learning more everyday from this web site. THAT IS WONDERFUL>
Mulege area is just what we are looking for. Only, I don't really care to be clumped up! I am such a free spirit, and can only enjoy the life style by being part of scenery of life not a part of a clump! LOL
When I was young and even when I became an adult in life, I knew my everyone in the community, and if someone came in new, I always welcomed them.
Areas now in the USA, have forgetton what was and how it should be with simple values of life.
Life is not how much or how little one has in material items, life is sharing oneself.
For two years my husband and I have searched for that special place, and we finally found it.

Thanks to all for giving us your insight to Baja and keep those thoughts, and sharing experiences coming.

Life is a celebration!
Peace, harmony, and a few hugs go a long way!

:bounce:;D:rolleyes::saint:
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 06:33 AM

Hey Bajalou! No, I'm not building down there, just tossing the idea around........

About renting......yah, I suppose thats a bit better than building, although theoretically I would be creating demand for another person to build since I now occupy the rented place........kind of like avoiding killing animals by becoming a vegetarian--but hey, you're still killing plants!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.