Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Spares
Big Al
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 11:27 AM
Spares

I am a Baja enthusiast with relatively few Baja miles under my belt. I make this statement based on many of your posts and to set the stage for my story. I have read all the Baja travel books that I can get my hands on and read them form cover to cover. I am also somewhat of a boy-scout and a worrier so I heed all of the warnings and preparation advice in these books. I don?t typically do a lot of off-roading for the sake of off-roading but more often to get to my destinations, like a fishing spot from ?Baja Catch?. Most of these books advise you to carry multiple spare tires and spare wheel bearings for towed trailers. Well, I always carry a spare trailer for the towing vehicle and also one for the towed trailer, however I usually never carry spare bearings. In my Baja travels, I have never had a flat (Still Haven?t) or a bearing go bad. I have never had a bearing go bad in all of my driving years on any side of the border, for that matter. I always travel with good tires and try to pack as light as possible, while still taking all of the essentials (I always take more stuff than I need). I am sure this is why I have been so fortunate with tires. Well, I finally decided to have a spare tire bracket made up for my trailer that actually has a spindle, hub, bearings and the tire. I never have before because of the cost. It wasn?t cheap to have it made up ($150).

When going through the tollbooth in Rosarito, I heard a strange noise when I would brake. A passing car told me that my trailer lug nuts were loose. After the tollbooth, I check the trailer. Sure enough, the nuts had loosened and the wheel was moving around. The rim was ruined as the movement had opened up the boltholes to where the nuts could almost slip through. The bolts were also ruined as the threads were stripped and were necked down to a dangerous diameter. Thankfully I had my spare hub and wheel, that I promptly changed and was back on the road in about 40 minutes. I need to buy another rim and hub before my next trip, but I will never go down there without a spare wheel set up again. I also learned to make sure I have all the tools to make the job easy. I was able to get it done with the tools that I brought, but it would have been a lot easier with the proper tools. Some latex gloves and mechanics hand cleaner would have been nice also. Anyway, Be Prepared.

Big Al
dbrooks
Junior Nomad

Mood: The shock treat

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 01:01 PM
See, the problem here is...

that the trailer wasn't made by Toyota.

Toyota's are incapable of breaking down in Baja. I DARE my Land Cruiser to break down every time I cross the border - still hasn't happened.

In January, I traveled from Guayaquil to Punta Santa Rosalillita (about 250 miles of Baja 1000 roads) with NO spares, save a stock spare tire.

I am sure that many of you have noticed the ubiquitous 83 - 86 Toyota 4X4's that are parked at many homes in the baja wilderness - there is a reason for that - Toyota's don't break!
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 06:44 PM

Dam yer a brave one dbrooks!!
I even carry a compressor.
Cause toyota dont make tires.

All that wonder are not lost
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 08:55 PM
Toyota?

You sure don't have to worry down here in San felipe, all the junk yards are FULL of Toyota parts:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 09:32 PM
Baja Breakdowns

I would much rather break down in Baja than in good old California...
Some years back we had the whole rear fall apart on the pre-runner, South of Rosarito Beach on the cuota.
Lost the wheel, axle, the whole nine yards,
Managed to get the truck skidded onto our race car trailer, and when we made some inquiries in the auto parts house in Ensenada a kid at the counter grabbed us, hauled us home and introduced us to his father, who became our resident mecanico in Ensenada for the rest of our racing days.
I think that Baja mechanics can fix absolutely anything (short of some of the new electronic stuff) and the parts supplies at the local 'Yonke" are simply amazing.

Baja Arriba!!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 09:53 PM
dbrooks......

I was hoping NO ONE would say "THAT"! :o

I've been driving my T-Bird with nothing more than a spare (one of those little ones at that for years, and a hope and a prayer!) Now I go and buy myself a "TOY" and get the whole 'she-bang' (thanks for the list guys! and Neal) I'm loaded for 'bear'.

Dbrooks: Since you brought it up, I hope you are the one near to break in my new tools! :o :D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.