Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tunaeater is the Man
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 05:53 PM
Tunaeater is the Man

It looks like Pauls team got 5th in class. The real story on Paul was him stopping to help an injured rider that crashed in front of him and Paul almost crashed from hitting the same hidden rock. It cost him about 20 minutes and left him a little shakened when he remounted to continue. This happened near RM180. The injured rider complained of sever back pain. He didn't even want anyone to touch him it hurt so bad. Everyone there thought he had a broken back. Finally an EMT arrived and took over and Paul got back on the MC and moved on. He was running 3rd closing in on 2nd when the accident happened. I'll let Paul tell the rest of the story of his ride and the team.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-19-2008 at 05:58 PM

Way to go Paul!!!!:yes::yes::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 08:19 PM

Tom thanks for all the help once again. Nice of you to take me 12 miles through Matomi to get to my rider exchange and another 12 out. Also, thanks for taking Ricky to the finish line.

Our 4 man team had a great time racing this SF 250. We started 12th off the line in our class and when the bike came to me we were in 3rd place. I had a great fast ride to my first pit stop at RM 168 for some gas. After pitting w/baja pits I was off again. There was a bike in front of me that I wanted to pass while entering Aufre wash. I knew there were some big rocks all over the course through here so I wanted clean air. After passing him, I was on the gas and came around a corner. There was some dust and I saw a rider down and on the course. I was looking at him when I hit something big and it almost made me crash. I was barely able to avoid hitting the fallen rider. I ended up off the course in some rocks and trees to avoid running him over. The bike I passed came up and stopped to help the rider. I asked him how hurt he was and he said pretty bad. I told him to hit his red button on his IRC tracker. Just then, another rider came and he went back to baja pits to report the accident. I also called weatherman from my radio. A couple vehicles and peolple came down to help out. One was a paramedic from Orange County and he took over the situation. I thought about the accident a lot as it stuck in my head for a while. I knew he was hurt very bad.You always here about these situations or know some one who had a bad fall but to witness the pain of someone seriously hurt gets you thinking.

After leaving I continued on passing back a few riders and quads as I made my way through Chanate wash. I had a quick sprint with the 10A quad beating him up the hill to check 4. Andy took over the bike at RM 214 and took it to the finish. We all had a great time and had a great race. We will all do it again in the Baja 500.

Our thoughts and prayers for speedy recoveries to all the injuried racers.

Paul
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2008 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tunaeater
There was some dust and I saw a rider down and on the course. I was looking at him when I hit something big and it almost made me crash. I was barely able to avoid hitting the fallen rider. I ended up off the course in some rocks and trees to avoid running him over. The bike I passed came up and stopped to help the rider. I asked him how hurt he was and he said pretty bad. I told him to hit his red button on his IRC tracker. Just then, another rider came and he went back to baja pits to report the accident. I also called weatherman from my radio. A couple vehicles and peolple came down to help out. One was a paramedic from Orange County and he took over the situation. I thought about the accident a lot as it stuck in my head for a while. I knew he was hurt very bad.You always here about these situations or know some one who had a bad fall but to witness the pain of someone seriously hurt gets you thinking.

Our thoughts and prayers for speedy recoveries to all the injuried racers.
Paul

Sounds like you were at the 402X accident. I believe we handled radio traffic on this incident (Wxman's incident #4). Thank you for stopping...that demonstrates what racing is all about - getting everybody to the finish SAFELY!!! Here's the update which will set your mind at ease.

I spoke w/ Nancy (one of the first on scene...she was driving the white suburban & her friend Anne used her bright orange shirt to signal to helo to the LZ) yesterday and she has been in contact w/ the wife of 402X. He was flown by helicopter to San Felipe airport where he was transported stateside via fixed wing. He was stabilized and his broken right foot and broken right elbow were repaired at Scripps. His left knee is really torn up and, as Nancy spoke to them yesterday, he was being transported by ground ambulance to Stanford where he will undergo knee repair. His bike was transported by another racer (who he just met in San Felipe the week prior to the race) and is already at his home in the San Francisco Bay area.

Looks like all will work out ok for this guy. Thanks for your concern. I'll forward your thoughts & prayers to him & his family via Nancy who plans on continuing to follow up with them.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2008 at 11:19 AM

Thanks for the update and thanks to SCORE and Weatherman and all the people who help.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.