Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mayberry RFD Catavina style
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 07:38 PM
Mayberry RFD Catavina style

Heading north this morning from Bahia, we pulled through Catavina around 7:30am, slowing for the speed bumps before passing the hotel. We noticed the Policia truck parked adjacent to the hotel parking lot to our left, watching the traffic pass by.

We were not surprised when he appeared in my side view mirror, nor when he turned on his headlights. Eventually he lit up his light bar and when the loud speakers starting quacking at us Dern figured he’d look for a pull out spot.

I remembered seeing this same Police truck along with two vehicles pulled over on the side of the road at the river bed crossing on our way south five days earlier. Dern commented that this officer must have the timing down pat. He knew just when to turn on the headlights, add the flashers, then honk the speakers just where it would be convenient to pull over at the river.

We passed up the river parking spot.

The Police truck repeated his siren quack with more emphasis as we passed his pre set river bed mark. Dern hit the brakes and hooked a hard right at the next dirt shoulder and pulled our truck to a quick stop. I don’t think the officer was expecting such a fast dismount from the highway as evident by the sound of his tires as they locked up behind us, screeching to a halt, as well as the look on his face as he approached Dern’s driver’s side window.

Dern rolled down the window as the officer asked, speaking perfect English,

“What’s your problem!!??”

Dern replied, “We don’t have a problem, you’re the one who pulled us over.”

He then asked for Dern to turn the truck engine off and to give him his driver’s license, which he declined to do. It quickly became an argument between the two,

“Give me your license.”

“No. It’s illegal for you to take my license.”

“Give me your license….”

This went on for a few minutes till Dern gave in and handed over his expired license from ’03. Then he asked for our registration and this time I spoke up, telling him that he was NOT getting our registration. I told him to write us the ticket so we could be on our way. He insisted on being handed the registration which led us to following him back to the station in Catavina to see his boss as I would not hand it over.

Once we got there he unlocked the doors to the station and led us inside. His perfect English switched to Spanish as he stepped to the opposite side of his desk. I told him that I would continue to speak English to him so I would not incriminate myself and would appreciate it if he continued to speak English as well.

He complied as he asked again for our registration in English, which Dern then handed over. With both documents now in his hand he insisted that we had been speeding, which we were obviously weren’t. Anyone who knows that spot knows to slow for the watery dip, slow again before hitting the speed bumps as you approach the hotel, and watch for the numerous cars that have a habit of pulling out in front of you, so no, we weren’t speeding.

I opened my journal and asked the officer for his name. He replied, “Jose Luis.” I looked up from my journal, held out my hand and asked to see his Police identification. I told him that he had our documents, I wanted to see his. I said Please. He held my gaze for a moment, reached for his wallet and handed me his I.D. card. I copied his name and asked Dern to read me his badge number as it was a bit blurred.

When I returned his card I said thank you, then I asked for the officer to write us our ticket and we would be on our way. I would gladly pay the ticket in Ensenada.

He said, “I see that you know the rules in Mexico,” to which I did not reply.

He went on to insist that we had to pay there.

I told him that we were not paying him. We would take the ticket and pay in Ensenada as Catavina is governed by Ensenada.

He insisted, “Catavina is different. You pay here.”

Again I refused. He then said that he had to call his boss, so he stepped over to the radio. We were to pay his boss, who would in turn write us a receipt. I don’t believe the radio was on as when he attempted to call, I never head any background noises.

He said that we had to wait for his boss to come. At one point I told him that I would not pay mordida to him or to his boss. I would take our ticket to Ensenada and pay there, or even mail it from the U.S. He told me that I had to pay the ticket there, would get a receipt, then I could file a complaint in Ensenada or San Quintin if I wanted to.

There were a few times during our conversation that words weren’t spoken. Long, quiet eye contact happened, a lot. Each time it was broken with the officer saying, “Ok, I see you know the rules, but this is the way it is going to be.”

After one of these quiet exchanges the officer looked at us from across his desk and said, “Come with me. Let me show you what you did!

We followed him outside to his truck. He opened his door then stood back as he stretched out his arm as to display the contents of the inside of his truck scattered on the passenger side floorboard.

“Look what you did!” he exclaimed.

I looked inside to see his glove compartment open, but didn’t take inventory of the truck’s contents. “I didn’t do that,” I said in reply. “It’s not my fault you stopped too quickly.”

(Yes, we did do a pretty abrupt stop, but I wasn’t going to claim it.)

“YOU stopped too fast,” he stated.

I took a long breath, looked at him and said, “You put your lights on and sounded your siren. That means stop. We stopped. You obviously were following us too closely and stopped too fast. That mess isn’t my fault.”

He closed the truck door and we returned inside to his desk where he resumed trying to call his boss on the radio. Dern had stepped outside to check the back of our truck as I had smelled gas while checking out the cab of the officer’s truck. Our generator’s gas can had tipped over. As he was righting that, a friend of ours pulled in. He had seen our truck on his way south, so he made a U turn and stopped in for a chat. We explained to Bruce what was going on and talked about the happenings over the past week in Bahia.

I was still waiting inside the station with the officer as he called on the non functioning radio when he said that he was going to take our registration with him and drive around town to find his boss, as he explained. “He’s not at his house. That is why he is not answering his radio.” I told him that he was not going to drive away with my documentation. Our buddy Bruce suggested that one of us go with him so I was just about to volunteer when the officer changed his mind.

I went out to get Cody from our truck and brought her back inside to use the restroom. I could hear Dern back at the desk talking to the officer. He had discovered Dern’s license was expired and was telling him that it was illegal to drive in Mexico on an expired license. Dern told him that he wasn’t driving on that license, it was just an old one he had on hand for the very reason he used it today.

Dern went back outside to finish chatting with Bruce as Cody and I exited the bathroom. Cody returned to the truck as I leaned against the door jam of the office. I watched Dern talking with Bruce as I waited to see what the officer would pull out of his bag of tricks next.

He had given up on the radio or on finding his boss. He was back standing at his desk with our documents in his hand as he said to me, “You need to calm down.”

I turned my head back to face inside the room as my eyes adjusted to the light and replied, “Oh, I am SO calm right now.”

He said, “Then Darren needs to calm down.”

I smiled and said, “He’s calm too.”

He then said, “Tell Darren to come back in here.”

“Dern! Jose Luis wants you.” I shouted. He and Bruce said their goodbyes and Dern returned to the office.

The officer handed Dern his license and registration as he said, “I’m going to do you a favor. I’m going to give you your driver’s license and registration back and give you a warning.”

Dern took the documents and shook his hand. I shook the officer’s hand too, why not, he seemed to be a good sparring partner. As we walked out the door he reminded us to drive carefully and to respect Catavina. Dern said, “We LOVE Catavina,” and as we continued to walk on we heard Jose Luis reply in a sarcastic way, “Yeah, I love Catavina too.”

We exchanged que tenga buen dias and were off before he had a chance to change his mind.

I do have a couple of questions;

Is Catavina a separate entity from Ensenada as Jose Luis stated? Was I correct in insisting that we could pay for our ticket in Ensenada or mail from the U.S.?

Can local Polica give tickets for speeding on the highway, or is that reserved for the Caminos Federales? Jose Luis didn’t have a radar gun only a machine gun held to his side as he approached Dern’s door so he didn’t really have any way of knowing our exact speed as we passed through town.

It was like stepping back into time, walking through the door of Mayberry R.F.D. and dealing with Barney Fife as he tried to find Andy on the radio.

It seemed obvious that he was cherry picking and picked a fruitless tree. He thought he picked a big red truck with the words GRINGO written all over it. We weren’t speeding, so I don’t feel bad about that, but if I was wrong in my assumptions regarding the ticketing process, oops, my bad, but I would like to know for the next time.

P. <*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 07:51 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but applaud you for standing your ground.

My hat is off to you!
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 07:57 PM

Paulina.........You did everything EXACTLY RIGHT!!! ++C++
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 08:09 PM

Paulina you and Dern are AMAZING!! What a great story. I am so glad you had the courage to do this, and that it WORKED. Felicidades,
++Ken++
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 08:37 PM

Well I`m glad to see that most folks have more principle than I do (I just give the cop $20)!!
And thanks for the "Heads Up" for that area!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 08:45 PM

Nice ending, Paulina and congrats for doing the right thing. Standing up to traffic ticket corruption anywhere in Baja usually results in a pass.

Maybe not that mid-America Mayberry RFD comparison, though? I thought that old show was all about family and small town values...fun stuff...not police corruption. Somehow I can't quite see Barney Fife or Andy shaking someone down like your Jose Luis.

Now a show comparison like 'In the Heat of the Night' I could believe. :yes:

You will enjoy the retelling of this story many times.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 08:53 PM

Sweet!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 08:55 PM

You're probably right there Pompano. I guess I can't imagine Aunt Bea walking in with a pie, or Matilda with a plate of juevos rancheros for that matter.

Our RFD thinking was that it was old fashioned, a step back in time; the office setting with the old metal desk and chairs, non functional radio and an officer who was "waiting" for his boss to show up. Jose Luis was no Barney, that is certain.

Dern was close to telling Jose Luis that we were going to head down the road to have breakfast with Oscar and Matilda, and to come get us when he found his jeffe. I wonder what he would have said to that.

P<*)))><

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 09:00 PM

Good for you guys. I am sooo proud of you. I think it's in the Ensenada municipality but they probably have their own municipal jurisdiction but, that's only a minor detail when the lady says "I will not pay."

Sorry I missed you when you came through. I had a box of Noche Buena for you to take to Bahia. I'll try to hang on to it till you guys return.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 09:13 PM

Dennis,

We're here till Sunday morning. If you haven't disposed of those Noche Buenas yet, I'll shake you down for them. Coffee at the liar's club manana?

P<*)))><

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Bravo!!
But I could barely focus on the story, remembering your practice run. :lol:

Kate

Kate,

That is SO FUNNY you mentioned that! I was laughing with Dern that it was too bad that he didn't leave that "message" on his old license and hold it up to the window when the officer asked to see it.

Can you just imagine what the nice officer would have done at that point? :lol:

We got a good giggle over the "what if " as we drove back to the station with Jose Luis following behind us. Thanks for bringing it back up.

P<*)))><

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Dennis,

We're here till Sunday morning. If you haven't disposed of those Noche Buenas yet, I'll shake you down for them. Coffee at the liar's club manana?

P<*)))><

I thought I saw Big Red parked up the street this evening.
OK...If I miss you at Paty's I'll bring them over mañana
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2008 at 11:54 PM

Wow, great story! Thanks.
Bob H
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2008 at 12:21 AM

You rock! Good one! Nomads one, Barny zero.

Iflyfish
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2008 at 04:18 AM

As Buford Pusser would say, "when you're right, your right"! Good job.

Coming through Tijuana early one morning (dark) Deborah and I were stopped, we seen the police car and were literally crawling, knew he was going to pull us over, he did...After conversing with the Officer (in Espanol) for a while and explaining that both Deborah and I double checked our speed, he rambled on anyway. I then simply informed him he was no Policia but a bandito, who was not going to get mordida from us. At that point, I quit speaking Spanish and every so often would look him in the eye, and say "no policia, bandito". After a few of those, he gave up and sent us on our way. Not over yet!

Five minutes up the highway, the flashing lights of a motorcycle cop. Pulled us over and came to Deborah's side of the window. After the typical nonsense about speeding, Deborah informed him that, my husband must get to the Veterans Hospital in San Diego very soon. He is a Viet Nam Vet and we have to get there for medicine and therapy. After I had completely ignored him during there entire conversation, I leaned over and with a crazed look in my eye, screamed "Si, Si!!!!

At that point he backed off and said Vamos, Vamos!!! I guess Viets Vets are considered strange even in Mexico...wadda trip!

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 3-28-2008 at 05:15 AM

bastard, purely....simply.:mad:

glad i don't have to drive much there.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2008 at 06:48 AM

bastards yes, but the Gov't worse.

They pay the cops crap and pretty much tell them to go get the extra dinero elsewhere...

It sucks, but Baja is worth it. Viva Baja

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2008 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
They pay the cops crap and pretty much tell them to go get the extra dinero elsewhere...

It's another form of induced tipping.
TonyC
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 3-28-2008 at 08:05 AM

Paulina,

Your are my HERO. I would have payed the $20 to be on my way, but I will now follow your lead. You showed me the light.

------------------------ BAJA NOMADS----------------------------------

------------MORDIDA....Don't try that on PAULINA------------------

Becky's (wife) going to put that on a shirt for me. Thank you for showing this newbie how it's done. You are one of the reasons I love this club. So much to learn.

Thank you,
Tony
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 3-28-2008 at 08:21 AM

Good job standing your ground.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.