Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Antonio Del Mar?
Frontera

Mood: Creative

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 01:35 PM
San Antonio Del Mar?

Is anyone familiar with the San Antonia Del Mar area? I noticed there were alot of rentals in the area under $1000/mo. :spingrin:

I may take a position in Mira Mesa and can't find a house to rent under $1800/mo. :mad:

Thinking strongly about taking the plunge and living in baja. :cool:

Any info about life in San Antonio del mar or surrounding area would be much appreciated. Here are some topics... safety/security, community, commute, highspeed internet, phone, etc.

[Edited on 4-14-2004 by Frontera]

[Edited on 4-14-2004 by Frontera]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 03:28 PM

One word of caution. I have been driving past that area for a LONG time. There is a water treatment (sewage) plant just inland from the golf course. Many times the odor has been really,really,really bad. When it rains you don't want to go swimming either. That is also true in San Diego.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 4-14-2004 at 09:47 PM
1/2 the truth

That is not even 1/2 the story behind San Antonio del Mar. When it is too cheap to believe in Baja, there is a reason. I will not list the horrors of San Antonio del Mar over the years as it is likely to raise too much sentiment.

[Edited on 4-15-2004 by The Gull]

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Frontera

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 01:20 AM

Gull you can't leave me hanging like that. Can you elaboarate just a little? Can you personal message me or something. Anything!?! :?: That's why I'm on this board.

---
I just sent you an u2u message with my personal email address. Please check your inbox.
---
Anyone else care to elaborate? Thanks in advanced.
---

[Edited on 4-15-2004 by Frontera]

[Edited on 4-15-2004 by Frontera]

---
Soon to be baja newbie
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 07:06 AM
Homework

You need to ask people at Baja Mailbu and other "campos" along the coast about SADM. I can only warn.

Ask two or three real estate offices about it. Especially one that does not represent homes in that area. Ask THEM why the prices are lower than somewhere like La Paloma, Rosarito Shores, Del Mar, Las Gaviotas or Club Marena. If no one tells you of the ownership battles, litigation and involvement of the Mexican government, then the person with whom you are speaking either doesn't know or is being deceitful.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 11:28 AM

Hey people, help me out here, i am planning on moving to San Antonio del Mar this winter, whats up with the problems??? please elaborate on that???

I hope you help before i make a mistake.:?:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 11:29 AM

That was me on the last post.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 01:25 PM

Jesse, Gull KNOWS of what he speaks however as a Mexicano who knows how the "system" works, you should not have any problems. A gringo would have beeg troubles!:lol:

Frontera

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 10:32 PM

Funny, I thought this was the questions and answer thread? (sarcastic)
The Gull
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 07:24 AM
Contract

Frontera,

From the title of the section, you believe that just because you ask a question all other Nomads are obligated to respond with an answer that meets your level of satisfaction? (sacarstic)

For most people, an informed warning with a detailed process description for self-verification would be considered an answer. When it is confirmed by another Nomad (Dave), it could be considered a validated answer.

Your response to me does not engender courtesy toward you. If you choose to post other inquiries and I know the answer, trust that I will be silent in the future. You have demonstrated that path is best. Best of luck with the 'tude.

Now that I reflect on it, San Antonio del Mar would be perfect for you.

'nuff time spent on this string...

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 07:41 AM
San Antonio del Mar

is the most gringo like, gossipy neighborhood I have seen in Baja. I am not aware of their legal battles but I am aware of some serious theft problems in the past.
We passed by that area because it is so unlike Baja and we didn't want gringo neighbors.
And Jesse, San Antonio del Mar ?????
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 12:48 PM

I currently live in Playas and the place is turning into east L.A. cholos everywhere, car thefts, house and businesess are being broken into, and grafiity all over, so i am looking for a quieter place, as far as gringo gossip in San Antonio, that wouldnt affect me, i can handle myself pretty well.
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 09:45 PM
San Antonio Del Mar

Hiya. This is my first post. We moved to San Antonio 3 years ago from Punta Banda, where we had lived for 5 years.
I was really glad to have street lights, running water, sewer, security, paved streets and a beautiful view. We live on the extreme North side-end, and the runoff of treated water does not bother us. I was also glad that my husband now only has to commute 20 minutes to work.

The rents here range from 500 on up, you will just have to drive through and check out the billboard postings.

If you are going to commute, I would suggest getting a Speed Pass, as the Border waits since 9-11 are outrageous.

We mind our own business, I have not noticed any gossips, but you will find them anywhere in American Communities, just shine 'em on, ignore it, and move on.

The population here is pretty much 1/2 Mexican and 1/2 American, many homes are owned by wealthy Mexicans from Mexicali and used only during the summer.

The legal problems were resolved in the Mexican Courts, ruling against the Mazatland Ejido. Most problems, you will find in other places, like Baja Del Mar.

Maybe you can come to an agreement with your Landlord and sign a rental agreement for a long-term period of a year, and get a discount on your rent.

The Homeowners Assoc. is extremely effective, no fireworks, dog poop must be picked up - we have had no problems with theft, the guards are on the ball, unlike the back sections of Baja Malibu - a war zone!!!

Our neighbors are either retired or Professionals, my husband works for the Justice Dept.

Good luck with your search!

P.S. I surf regularly at Baja Malibu, and am just about always out in the water swimming in front, and never, not once, have been sick or any ear infections. Exceptions, of course, after a storm, but then it's the same story in San Diego, where I was born and raised.Look, all you nay sayers, for sure Baja is not the same as it was 40 years ago, but then, what is?
Still beats Southern Califoirnia !

[Edited on 4-24-2004 by Margie]

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2004 at 05:44 PM

Margie,

Does it smell at night? you know, from the water treatment plant?

Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2004 at 08:02 PM

You know, we don't smell it, the major smell is up the road north in Punta Bandera, and years ago, you could really get a whiff in the hills behind us.

The French investors came in and helped the Mexicans get this treatment plant going,CESPT runs the facility, and they are working to improve it, maybe they need to go over to the Cliffs, Bird Rock, PB OB San Diego Bay and give them a hand, too.

You still want to avoid the Sloughs, though. The treatment on the USA side still needs improving, and they are saying that it won't be functioning up to capacity, provided it receives Congressional funding, until 2008.

If you are a San Diegan, log-in to Donna Frye's site for current updates, and give her support !!

Hope this helped you.

P.S. Jesse, you are just down the road, drive up here and check it out for yourself,
take the first right hand turnoff just under the orange Real Del Mar Bridge, that will be the north entrance. We are on the very end of Calle Risco. Just check it out !

[Edited on 4-25-2004 by Margie]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 10:17 AM

Frontera, why would you want to daily drive from San Antonio Del Mar to Mira Mesa. I would think any savings in house rent would be eaten up by gas usage, let alone the travel time. Mira Mesa is 30 miles from the border. Try Chase Management for rental homes in the Mira Mesa area and see if they have something cheaper. There are usually Three bedrooms for around $1500-1600.
Good luck.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Frontera, why would you want to daily drive from San Antonio Del Mar to Mira Mesa. I would think any savings in house rent would be eaten up by gas usage, let alone the travel time. Mira Mesa is 30 miles from the border. Try Chase Management for rental homes in the Mira Mesa area and see if they have something cheaper. There are usually Three bedrooms for around $1500-1600.
Good luck.

You can buy a beach front home with 250,000 dollars here, i am assuming that alone is a good reason.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 06:14 PM

Margie,

I have, i have checked the place out and was making plans to purchase there, but when i heard warnings i wanted to know if i had something to worry about, as far i know SADM is one of the oldest communities in northern baja, and never read anything bad about it in the Mexican news papers in 15 yrs.

Hows the surf there by the way? i have surfed Baja malibu extensively, but not SADM.

Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 01:47 AM

Hi Jesse. There were problems here several years back, the Mazatland Ejido claimed this was part of their Ejido. The case went to the highest Mexican Courts and was resolved, with the Judge ruling that SADM was not part of the Ejido.

We are on a 30-year Trust, done through an Attorney in TJ. So, we are doing a Fideocomiso. You, on the other hand, being a Mexican National, I'm pretty sure can buy the property straight outright,
You know, I said before that it was an even mix here, but Mike says no, there are more Mexican Nationals here than Gringos. I will have him ask our Mexican neighbors how they handled buying the property and get back with you.

Also, I'll dig up the name of the Mexican Attorney Mike used, and of course you know you don't really need to use a realtor, just another 6% off the top.

There is no good surfing straight infront,
the current is too strong and pulls you northward, fast. I go out at Baja Malibu, and swim in front, good exercise for my legs and arms swimming against the current. The waves fool you in front, looking at them, you think, wow, that looks ok, but they are crunchers over a shallow sand bar. I've seen guys try to go out in front and just be pulled north no matter how strong they are. I have had some really fun times bodysurfing in front, wham, lucky I didn't break my neck.

Also, the Mexican people are so nice here, and dedicated. They were the ones who rallied this Community together to clean up the ditch and replant and divert the water, they also put a screaming halt to the motorcycles and atv's. They don't mess around!

There is one ya-hoo who lives on this end
up towards the highway, he has cars and junk all over the place. This is an American, infact you can see his place clearly from the highway, and you wonder what the heck is going on there? The guys who organized the ditch effort told us that they are "working on that problem." And, I believe they will.

Ok, later, Ill find out more for you.

Too bad you have to commute so far, you know, we know a guy who commutes to Mira Mesa from Playas, let me give him a call, maybe a rideshare? Oh, God, I remember when Mike was commuting everyday from Punta Banda to SD, jeez we went through that truck in 3 years, anyway you don't want to live in Mira Mesa, you just don't.
Margie
Banned

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 01:40 PM

Hi Jesse, it's me again. I gave you some misinformation,the lease is for 50 years, not 30.

Fideicomitente: Banco Del Atlantico,SA
Fiduciario: Banco Internacional, SA, Institucion De BancaMultiple, Grupo Financiero "Bital"

The attorney is really great:
Notaria No. 17
Lic. J. Enrique Wehber Barreiro
Plaza Bonita
Blvd. Agua Calinte No. 13391-16
La Mesa, Tijuana, B.C.
Tel.: 621-10-85
Fax: 621-1094

Ok, later !

P.S. No loud party stuff after 11PM and that is strictly enforced. 250K? God, that will get you a mansion here. Prices start at about 80K. I think this is slowly becomming more of a Mexican enclave, which is ok by me. The ONLY thing I don't like are the telephone and cable wires, I hope that they can be put underground eventually. My neighbors bought their place for 60K, put about 25K into it, and you should see how absolutely beautiful it is, 3Bdrm, huge garage, great patio and view, guest house; so you have to look,look and look !

[Edited on 4-27-2004 by Margie]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.