Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13
Author: Subject: La Turquesa Trek
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 10:17 AM

Looks tough. Gonna be HOT if this weather pattern persists.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Here is a close up of the grade... reduced for Nomad posting. If any of the La Turquesa road building crew wants the full size image, let me know!

Looks like about a 1- to 2-hour hike or 15-minute mtn bike. Why beat up your vehicles when you can hike or bike it in shorter time (and get cardio vascular work out at same time)? :light: :light:
Lack of roads is what draws us to remote areas. Creating roads just opens up remote areas for the crowds, then y'all complain about how it used to be better before the crowds. :P :lol:
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Here is a close up of the grade... reduced for Nomad posting. If any of the La Turquesa road building crew wants the full size image, let me know!

Looks like about a 1- to 2-hour hike or 15-minute mtn bike. Why beat up your vehicles when you can hike or bike it in shorter time (and get cardio vascular work out at same time)? :light: :light:
Lack of roads is what draws us to remote areas. Creating roads just opens up remote areas for the crowds, then y'all complain about how it used to be better before the crowds. :P :lol:

Proposed plan is a point A to point B cutoff from Mex 1 to just north of Cocos corner, a total distance of around 10 miles. General traffic already uses the road from Puertocitos southbound or comes in from Laguna Chapala northbound. This route is already occasionally used by motos and would be rarely used by the most adventurous 4wd vehicles IF a path can be discovered.

Not time to play the chicken little card just yet MT.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
Gadget
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 11:43 AM

Great Photo, David.

That road-grade looks really steep--------in addition to the rock problems at the bottom of the grade in the wash. Does anybody know if it is as steep (and thereby eroded) as it looks? or is it passable by normal 4x4's? So far I have not heard any commentary by anybody who has driven it down to the wash from the west to east------did I miss something?

What a challenge!!!

Mt Goat-----at 70 I don't do a lot of mountain biking and long range backpacking, but I still want to see this country------a little compromising might be in order, don't you think? Wilderness, tho fine, is not the total answer, and must be set aside with careful consideration and balance, it seems to me.

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Great Photo, David.

That road-grade looks really steep--------in addition to the rock problems at the bottom of the grade in the wash. Does anybody know if it is as steep (and thereby eroded) as it looks? or is it passable by normal 4x4's? So far I have not heard any commentary by anybody who has driven it down to the wash from the west to east------did I miss something?

What a challenge!!!

Mt Goat-----at 70 I don't do a lot of mountain biking and long range backpacking, but I still want to see this country------a little compromising might be in order, don't you think? Wilderness, tho fine, is not the total answer, and must be set aside with careful consideration and balance, it seems to me.

Barry

Barry, see this web page that created the idea of re-opening this washed out road... it shows the grade (upper half) as I walked down almost halfway... http://vivabaja.com/207

The squarecircle later walked all the way down, from the top... It is an old 'Jeep road' from perhaps the pre-Hwy. 1 years. The upper half I walked, is of no concern to me in my Tacoma... It would be tight in a full size truck or SUV. The reason for walking down was that I didn't know if there would be a safe place to turn around IF there was some drop off/ wash-out beyond where I could see, from the top.

As it turns out, there was a place to turn around half way down...

MtGoat: It is to create a shortcut for 4WDs to use between Cataviņa (Hwy. 1) and Gonzaga Bay/ Puertecitos/ etc. Not just a 10 mile excursion with no purpose except open up more beautiful country to more people.

A short cut will save FUEL and thus be environmentally friendly to the earth!:light: The distance from Hwy. 1 to Gonzaga would be reduced by 20 miles overall by not driving down to Chapala 12 miles only to have to drive back north 18 miles towards Gonzaga Bay.... just the 10 miles via La Turquesa!

And (as Barry pointed out), not all of us are physically able to hike or climb in the desert for such distances, if at all... but that sould not be used to descriminate against all such people... it's their planet too!:yes:

The distance from the bottom of the turquoise mine to the bottom of the grade is about 1.3 miles... of the total approx. 10-11 miles between Hwy. 5 and Hwy. 1.

[Edited on 4-15-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2008 at 07:50 AM

OK then...I am still trying to find out how to get to remote areas if we don't take roads?....."hike and bike" ?.....

Well....even how to get to BAJA without using roads....oh that's right ..."..hike and bike....":no:
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 4-18-2008 at 12:59 PM
La Turquesa Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Maybe.

Which direction do you plan on going in from?

Accomodations and supplies are better on the Hwy 1 side, but it may be easier to go up then to go down so Gonzaga would be base camp? [/quot

Greetings All,

A special thank you to those NOMADS responding to the La Turquesa Trek. - BAJACAT/Fatboy/TW/ bajalou/Steve&;Debby/
Neal Johns/Gadget/David K.

1-- May 1, Thursday. Leave San Diego am head for El Rosario
and Baja Cactus Motel. Reservation required. Telephone
011-52(616)165-8700.

2-- May 2--3 Friday & Saturday. Drive M-1 to Laguna Chapala
>>> Coco's Corner >>> Las Arrastras de Arriola >>> La
Turquesa mine site >>> into the arroyo to start way-find-
ing and westward progress!

3-- May 4 Sunday. Celebrate the accomplishment and head
Home.

Regards, sq.

Greetings All, >>>> BUMP this please!! >>>>Regards, sq.

Greetings All,

Lets get it done! >>> Only 13 days until the La Turquesa Trek.

So far possible participances are,
1. BAJACAT
2. Neal Johns
3. TW
4. bajalou
5. Gadget
6. Steve&;Debby
7. David K
8. CG
9. XRPhang
10. Ken Cooke
11. steekers
12. Ty Tipton

Any interested in caravaning all or partway to the mine site can meet in Tecate, U.S.A. gas station 0800 hrs May 1, 2008 thursday. > I have planned some very interesting stops on the way to El Rosario, the first nite stop over. > See above itinerary.

La Turquesa Trek is not an easy run and not for the faint of heart. > This is a challange to any 4X4 and has had much discussion on these BajaNomad Forums. I suggest reading all threads on La Turquesa Trek before committing to this trek.

Lets start a new committment list here.
1. squarecircle
2. Richard Fisher
+.

Happy trails, sq.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2008 at 04:46 PM

TW and BJ are in.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

lol.gif posted on 4-18-2008 at 07:15 PM
Mtn. Goat 666 is a wuss

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jimWell....even how to get to BAJA without using roads....oh that's right ..."..hike and bike....":no:

I actually bike most weekends to stay in shape. So, I have nothing against those pasttimes. I'll be hiking into the mud caves in Anza Borrego. But, if your time is short, and you need to see Baja during just 1 week, this method of travel is impractical. Mtn Goat 666 likes to drop in, in order to "Stir the pot", but he is just trying to jab at ppl.

Remember his comment about lifted vehicles being unsafe? Does his Saturn have a lift on it?

Remember is comment about mud-terrain tires being unsafe? Does his Saturn have mud-terrain tires on it?

His "Hike & Bike" comment? Does his mother drop him off at the border so he can hike and/or bike throughout the peninsula? :?:

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2008 at 07:17 PM

I have to go to the old country for a few days for my wife to help with her mother's health problems. If I get back in time, I plan to head down.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2008 at 08:34 PM
La Turquesa Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW and BJ are in.

Thank you TW. > Let me know if you want caravan. > But, who is BJ? > Best Regards, sq.
The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2008 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW and BJ are in.

Thank you TW. > Let me know if you want caravan. > But, who is BJ? > Best Regards, sq.

Thank you bajalou for the comeback. > Regards, sq.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 08:36 AM

My irrigation business is really picking up now that the rain is gone and the sun is hot. Phone ringing all day long... I will not be able to take off those days Roy... need to build up the dinero reserves as the tax man just drained my account!

You guys have fun... may the force be with you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW and BJ are in.

BJ is my friend Bill Jarchow (silent h+w) from Semi Valley (LA). I'm picking him up a Whiteman airport Thursday morning. He has a 4 seater plane if we ever want to fly over to explore.

[Edited on 4-19-2008 by TW]

The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 10:38 AM
La Turquesa Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW and BJ are in.

BJ is my friend Bill Jarchow (silent h+w) from Semi Valley (LA). I'm picking him up a Whiteman airport Thursday morning. He has a 4 seater plane if we ever want to fly over to explore.

Greetings TW & BJ, >>> My interesting rememberance is a "fly over" to locate and crudely map the then lost and unused Pole Line Road with Howard McCubbin (pilot), Arvin Nielson and myself. The following weekend Howard and I drove it and opened it up for future treks. >>> Regards, sq.

[Edited on 4-19-2008 by The squarecircle]
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2008 at 11:33 AM

My cash situation is the same as Davids.

Unless 1 of the 2 preliminary contracts we have out moves quickly forward or I find a co-dog to share expenses, I will not be able to make it. We are living on savings at present.

See you in Baja
Gadget
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 4-21-2008 at 09:38 AM

XRPhlang is going. I'll be going solo, traveling on Wed. I plan to do a ride out to Punta San Carlos from El Rosario on Thurs. I guess I'll meet up with everybody on Thurs. evening at Baja Cactus Motel?? Really looking foward to this ride and meeting some Nomads.
The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2008 at 03:51 PM
La Turquesa Trek

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe.

Accomodations and supplies are better on the Hwy 1 side, but it may be easier to go up then to go down so Gonzaga would be base camp? [/quot

Greetings All,

A special thank you to those NOMADS responding to the La Turquesa Trek. - BAJACAT/Fatboy/TW/ bajalou/Steve&;Debby/

011-52(616)165-8700.

Home.

Regards, sq.

Greetings All,

Lets get it done! >>> Only 9 days until the La Turquesa Trek.

1. BAJACAT
2. Neal Johns
3. TW
4. bajalou
5. Gadget
6. Steve&;Debby
7. David K
8. CG
9. XRPhang
10. Ken Cooke
11. steekers
12. Ty Tipton

Any interested in caravaning all or partway to the mine site can meet in Tecate, U.S.A. gas station 0800 hrs May 1, 2008 thursday. > I have planned some very interesting stops on the way to El Rosario, the first nite stop over. > See above itinerary.

La Turquesa Trek is not an easy run and not for the faint of heart. > This is a challange to any 4X4 and has had much discussion on these BajaNomad Forums. I suggest reading all threads on La Turquesa Trek before committing to this trek.

1. squarecircle
2. Richard Fisher
3. TW
4. BJ
5. XRPhang
+.

Happy trails, sq.
The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2008 at 04:03 PM
La Turquesa Trek

Quote:
My cash situation is the same as Davids.

Unless 1 of the 2 preliminary contracts we have out moves quickly forward or I find a co-dog to share expenses, I will not be able to make it. We are living on savings at present.

Greetings Will,

If there is a Will there is a way.

Will = way

Yes, I am just punning away. sq.
The squarecircle
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2008 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe.

Greetings All,

011-52(616)165-8700.

Home.

Regards, sq.

Greetings All,

Lets get it done! >>> Only 6 days until the La Turquesa Trek.

1. BAJACAT
2. Neal Johns
3. TW
4. bajalou
5. Gadget
6. Steve&;Debby
7. David K
8. CG
9. XRPhang
10. Ken Cooke
11. steekers
12. Ty Tipton

1. squarecircle
2. Richard Fisher
3. TW
4. BJ
5. XRPhang
7. CG
+.

Happy trails, sq.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.