Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  13
Author: Subject: La Turquesa Trek
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2008 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Huh? Sorry, I haven't taken that test for a while... you mean you don't need to get an XE call sign for 2 meter? Does that extend to other bands also?

--Larry

Strictly speaking, yes. At least for the ham bands. Understand that does not mean passing the ham test in Mexico, rather paying a fee to get the temporary license granted under the reciprocity agreement mentioned. The commercial bands fall under a different set of rules.

I have a U.S. license. Have I ever followed this procedure? No. Have I ever even been asked (beyond curious remarks - I have three radios in the truck and a satellite phone and two GPS units)? No - the soldiers at the checkpoint are more interested in the 8-cell MagLite :lol::lol::lol::lol: Up to a few years ago, they didn't even know what the GPS unit was -- now they ask GPS? I say yes -- all good. Pretty much what you would expect.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 08:14 AM

Does anyone know if anybody has accually left for this trip yet?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 08:22 AM

They are there right now Jim... Roy called me the day before he left...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 10:30 AM

You get an XE prefix to your U.S. call. I'm XE2/KG6TBF. Valid for up to six months, I believe.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 11:55 AM

Wanted to go on this trip...especially since there seemed to be some open seats.....just wasn't the best weekend for me.....
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Huh? Sorry, I haven't taken that test for a while... you mean you don't need to get an XE call sign for 2 meter? Does that extend to other bands also?

--Larry

Strictly speaking, yes. At least for the ham bands. Understand that does not mean passing the ham test in Mexico, rather paying a fee to get the temporary license granted under the reciprocity agreement mentioned.

Now I'm really confused. :lol:

Does that "temporary license" grant me an XE call or am I then legally operating in Mexico with my U.S. call?

Does anyone here have an XE call?

--Larry

I don't.

Our crew protocol is a mixture of HAM / CB. We hail each other by vehicle (GSB) or handle (Gadget), use some numerical language 10-4, 10-9, 10-20 etc. There is no cursing allowed and we try to keep talk to necessary comm ie. traffic, directions, issues, points of interest, good and bad hazards on the trail.

We hear some using the freqs like they're on a cell phone just chatting away about the most inane things.

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 06:14 AM

Greetings All, >>> It is done. >>> Now Land Rover's LR 3 RULES period!

Regards, sq.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle

Regards, sq.

At least it wasnt a TOY ota.........:lol:

Anxiously awaiting the details.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

--Larry

Strictly speaking, yes. At least for the ham bands. Understand that does not mean passing the ham test in Mexico, rather paying a fee to get the temporary license granted under the reciprocity agreement mentioned.

Now I'm really confused. :lol:

Does that "temporary license" grant me an XE call or am I then legally operating in Mexico with my U.S. call?

Does anyone here have an XE call?

--Larry

Here is a link that explains the complexities in getting a reciprocal license. It's a little more involved than just applying with one form, according to this link. I got this off the Club Cruceros of La Paz site. I have not applied yet.

http://www.geocities.com/wd9ewk/xe-permit.html

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 07:28 AM

So, did you have to do any road building, or did you simply find a decent route for the vehicles to continue through the canyon????

When I went with 5 or 6 other rigs, we were completely confused with all of the different possible routes that could have been taken from one end of the canyon up to the other end. Mother Nature had occasionally turned this canyon into a raging rapid, and with rocks and boulders placed in such a manner to make this obvious.

So, if it is a route that was found, or a route that had to be constructed, let us know, so that we can travel this route in our 4 wheels in the near future. Also, was the brush extremely tight? Were the rocks large? Please elaborate.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 08:10 AM

Lencho,

You should start another thread here so that the La Turquesa people can talk about the trail, and you can talk about CB radios and HAM on another thread. Think about it.

Ken

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Here is a link that explains the complexities in getting a reciprocal license. It's a little more involved than just applying with one form, according to this link. I got this off the Club Cruceros of La Paz site. I have not applied yet.

http://www.geocities.com/wd9ewk/xe-permit.html

Thanks. That's very useful. Looks like I (general class) could get a class II (all bands) for 5 years for US$70, which might be worthwhile.

(hmmm... whatever did I do with my ham license...:lol: )

--Larry

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 09:39 AM

Quote:

Regards, sq.

Roy, when you get back online.... you need to share some D E T A I L S !!!:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Regards, sq.

Roy, when you get back online.... you need to share some D E T A I L S !!!:light:

X2...:light:

I figure he's getting caught up on his sleep, buffing out scraches on his sheetmetal, or replacing plugged tires...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lenchoNo need, I'm through. Sometimes it's hard to predict how far a casual side comment will develop, and before you realize it, we've dragged the original topic through the swamp. :)

--Larry

I disagree. In November '07, I drove to La Turquesa with 8 volunteers to fix this route, so it is very important for me to know the conditions of this route. Roy and TW wanted to attend so they could lead the volunteers, but they could not be there. So, with this much invested in trying to fix this route, and wanting to lead future 4WD groups through this region (sorry, MTN Goat 666), I am very much interested in the original topic.

Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 01:12 PM

All points bulletin now out for Roy or Tom.

All us who couldn't fix our schedules or finances to go are squirming for details.

And if it wasn't epic, you better make something up!

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 01:29 PM

On my way in November to La Turquesa...meeting The Baja Xplorer!! That's him on my right. Did you see him in Dust To Glory w/Coco???

I can't wait to get him & his Toyota (& crew) up into La Turquesa. His truck did wonders on the Pole Line Road in '04, btw...

Why isn't Mike smiling??? Probably because he can't find a way through to Hwy 1 at the La Turquesa mine. What a situation. His new '07 Jeep Rubicon JK did great on the trail, btw...

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2008 at 02:59 PM

I've got to know......:bounce:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 08:00 AM

The quick version is we met up on the mine road on Friday about noon. Roy (squarecircle) and Richard in the Land Rover, Phil on MC, BJ and TW in GMC Z71. We walked the wash that afternoon to where it exits to go up the hill. Richard crisscrossed the wash several times to spot the best route, the guy is like Daniel Boone. Roy and Richard marked the course on the return trip to camp. We camped about 1/4 mile in the wash Friday night. After breakfast on Sat. Phil had clutch problems on his MC and was having problems in the rocks and decided to go back to Catavina.

With Roy leading we started up the wash. After about 1/4 mile I decided to leave my GMC and BJ and I became road builders (slave labor) for the Land Rover. We basically followed the MC trail. There were 4 or 5, maybe more, places where a long wheel base vehicle will not go without really serious winching of boulders, if that is even possible. There were at least 2 or 3 places where we spent considerable time moving, filling, pulling, cussing, sweating and at near exhausting work finally got the Land Rover thru. After 8 hours we were at the hill to get out of the wash and our biggest fear was about to come true. Having to turn around and go back out the way we came in.

The hill is about 45 degrees going up and maybe 45 feet long. A solid MC path is on the west side but very loose rocks on the east side where the rains have washed them down. We moved several rocks for a more clean path up. One problem is there was a tall cactus that made a straight run impossible. Roy would have to go around it then making a run up. We went over all the possibilities. Roy would try a go easy run and see what happens. Richard is on top spotting him with a radio. At about 1/5 up his wheels start digging in. Stop back down and try again a little faster. He got a little further. 3rd try a little more but rear end is shifting out to the east toward a downhill slope. Now Roy gets really serious and tries a bonzi run and get about 2/3rds up. back down and we clear a few more rocks. We have come too far to have to go back now. Roy is determined to make it. At the top I have a happy snappy camera from Richard ready to take the picture as he would crest the top. Roy backs into the charge position and puts the pedal to the metal. He's bouncing up and down, left then right, the left front tire is airborn, then the right rear. He gets a little sideways then straightens out and with a roar tops the hill to the cheers of the faithful. In all the excitement I didn't snap the pix as he crested the top but after he stopped. Sorry.

With all the crap the Land Rover went thru there were only pin strips on the sides, no dents, no flats and no leaks. About two hours later BJ and I go out and around by Cocos onto hwy 1 and meet Roy and Richard at the top of the mountain to make sure he got all the way up and out. When we got to him he had a million dollar smile, he was king.

Land Rover rules the roost.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 08:08 AM

Wonderful!

Would you say that the Land Rover was the first vehicle to go between the mine and the grade since the road was last used, perhaps 30 years ago?

I ask because someone else made a claim here on Nomad that sounded like they got through a couple years ago...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 08:58 AM

That's hard to say. I would say that if they were in a short wheel base vehicle and especially a narrow one like an older Toyota 4 runner with lot's of clearence they very well could have done it. If they are saying a full size truck then they would have had to go a different route than we did. Richard did a lot of back and forth serveying in the wash and we took the best route possible now. Back a few years it's really hard to say. The rains could have totally changed the course.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.