Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  13
Author: Subject: La Turquesa Trek
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 09:12 AM

TW-----Did the Land Rover have a locker? Front or rear? or both?

Barry
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 09:47 AM

YES, good news!

We need GPS coordinates so we can map it.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I ask because someone else made a claim here on Nomad that sounded like they got through a couple years ago...

Must have missed that one. Who was that? Have a llink?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 11:06 AM

Doesnt sound like much of a shortcut, by the description. Think I'll stick to the main road. :biggrin:

Congrats to the Lewis and Clark motorized expedition!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

No it doesn't and that was a problem getting out of the wash and going up the lower part of the mountain. Was not a big problem in the wash.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 11:44 AM

I take it this wouldnt have been too tough on an ATV, TW?

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

No it doesn't and that was a problem getting out of the wash and going up the lower part of the mountain. Was not a big problem in the wash.

Surprized to hear that. It is an option. All have center locking differentials though. I know his has the adjustable ride height (up to 12" of clearance). He completed an offroad event in Big Bear that had sections rated 5, which is pretty impressive.

Great job Squarecircle.

Ken
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:24 PM

TW, I believe it does lock both ends, but may be wrong. I fade out sometimes under the verbal stylings of the SQC.

Hook, the well known options to Gonzaga are the dirt from Puertocitos or Mex 1 to Laguna Chapala, across and up 20 miles or so. This is 10 miles if you have a good 4x and misses a bunch of washboard. Puts you on the main road about 16 miles south of Alfonsina's. Why wouldn't you use it if you had another rig with you to buddy across with?

Once the dirt road is paved and becomes a pot hole mine field this little trail will be a welcome diversion into this area IMO.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
Gadget
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:24 PM

Well well well! Congrats on a fruitful trip!
Now that you guys have opened a route I would think a group of bigger trucks will have to widen that road. It's just not fair!:lol:

All kidding aside, how much effort would be necessary for full-size trucks? Do you have any plans to improve the track? What are the possibilities of actually opening it up to substantial vehicles?
Tou have put a lot of effort out. It would be cool if it became a regular route.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
YES, good news!

We need GPS coordinates so we can map it.

I didn't take any GPS coordinates mainly because I had key spots in my almanac that David had taken. Roy may have have taken some. The wash is only a couple of miles at most and we stayed next to the north side where the MCs went thru. I probably should have taken readings at the 2 or 3 worst places.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Now that you guys have opened a route I would think a group of bigger trucks will have to widen that road. It's just not fair!:lol:

All kidding aside, how much effort would be necessary for full-size trucks? Do you have any plans to improve the track? What are the possibilities of actually opening it up to substantial vehicles?
Tou have put a lot of effort out. It would be cool if it became a regular route.

I think this will be a given, Tiburon :biggrin:

See you in Baja
Gadget
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I take it this wouldnt have been too tough on an ATV, TW?

Right, an ATV would frankly be my coice of vehicle especially a 4x4 ATV.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
TW, I believe it does lock both ends, but may be wrong. I fade out sometimes under the verbal stylings of the SQC.

Once the dirt road is paved and becomes a pot hole mine field this little trail will be a welcome diversion into this area IMO.

I believe what his Land Rover has is a traction control system that applies brakes to the spinning wheel. Thru the whole course he was trying a lot of different combos. The thing has way too many controls etc.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

There was at least 2 or 3 places that would need a lot of work to get a full size truck thru, mainly due to wheelbase length. Now maybe there would be a way to bypass them with less effort.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

I believe what his Land Rover has is a traction control system that applies brakes to the spinning wheel. Thru the whole course he was trying a lot of different combos. The thing has way too many controls etc.

Yep, thats right, I remember now. I agree that when something does go wrong he will be on a strap or trailer home. There will be no way to figure out what circuit went out on it.

I gotta hand it to Roy though, he floggs that thing way more than the original intent of the design. Baja will find a way to break anything if you are pushing hard enough.

See you in Baja
Gadget
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Why wouldn't you use it if you had another rig with you to buddy across with?

Too many caveats in terms of the type of vehicles possible, time/effort to make the road practical, buddy system only, no trailers, etc.

Dont get me wrong.......it's fine as a challenging ride for serious riders.

But as a replacement for the existing options with pavement on the way? I think it will only be a novelty, not an alternative.

Gadget
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Why wouldn't you use it if you had another rig with you to buddy across with?

Too many caveats in terms of the type of vehicles possible, time/effort to make the road practical, buddy system only, no trailers, etc.

Dont get me wrong.......it's fine as a challenging ride for serious riders.

But as a replacement for the existing options with pavement on the way? I think it will only be a novelty, not an alternative.

Yeah, well put.

Me, I like the novelty concept as much as possible within the scope of what and where I am trying to get on any given day.

See you in Baja
Gadget
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:03 PM

I can't wait to try it in my X-terra with rear locker and 12 inches of clearance. This IS exciting----------WELL DONE GUYS. :yes:

Sounds like you could come in from the west with no worries about that 45 degree grade as you enter (down hill) the wash-----going the other way is the true test, I infer. :O

Barry
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:06 PM

Gadget, does GSB have a rear locker? It does have a winch, right? Does it get (and the locker, if it's there) get much use?
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Tires? A/T types or mudders?
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.