Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  13
Author: Subject: La Turquesa Trek
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I can't wait to try it in my X-terra with rear locker and 12 inches of clearance. This IS exciting----------WELL DONE GUYS. :yes:

Sounds like you could come in from the west with no worries about that 45 degree grade as you enter (down hill) the wash-----going the other way is the true test, I infer. :O

Barry

The west to east is easier for going down the mtn and the hill into the wash. The wash would be just as bad either way.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
No it doesn't and that was a problem getting out of the wash and going up the lower part of the mountain. Was not a big problem in the wash.

Tires? A/T types or mudders?

He had Yokohama and I assumed they were stock with the vehicle. The tread was not radical or anything, less course than a BFG TA KO.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I can't wait to try it in my X-terra with rear locker and 12 inches of clearance. This IS exciting----------WELL DONE GUYS. :yes:

Sounds like you could come in from the west with no worries about that 45 degree grade as you enter (down hill) the wash-----going the other way is the true test, I infer. :O

Barry

The west to east is easier for going down the mtn and the hill into the wash. The wash would be just as bad either way.

-------which means, of course, that it can, and probably will, change drastically after every tropical storm or hurricane. That is the challenge of "Baja" as far as I am concerned, and I love it. (maybe it will be LESS challenging after the next storm) :bounce:

barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:32 PM

This time next year I hope to have a short wheelbase vehicle, maybe a jeep or Toyota or something like that. Older model to beat up in Baja. Then I'll come back to this area and see what has changed. Berry your right the rains could change everything, maybe for the better or the worse.

This was a very fun trip for me and BJ. I gotta tell you that after we walked the wash Friday I didn't think there was a snowballs chance in hell that any of us would make it. I thought if Roy wants to try it, what the heck I'm there to help anyway I can. Even after he got out of the wash I really had doubts that he would make it up the mountain. BJ and I walked down Friday mourning and the bottom third is steep and lots of loose rock. I made Roy promise to put a marker ribbon on a tree where the trail comes out to the hwy if he made it. When we got around there and didn't see a ribbon I thought Roy and Richard were having real trouble getting out and BJ and I were trying to think of what we were going to do when we got back to the trail down the mountain. It's an easy drive to about half way down where there is a turn around spot. We were as happy to see them at the top as they were us I think, knowing everyone was OK. He had some problems getting up the bottom section of the mtn but it all ended OK.
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Gadget, does GSB have a rear locker? It does have a winch, right? Does it get (and the locker, if it's there) get much use?

Detroit Locker in back, Auburn Possi if front. The possi is as close to a locker as you can get for the front. Bump steer is pretty bad on hard packed dirt at slow speed.

Both units are super strong and problem free so far. The Detroit gets an overhaul every year, basically do to abuse from the air time. Landing while on the throttle, going through woops at speed and landing on the rear wheels unevenly is pretty hard on it.

Most guys run a spooled rearend in lighter trucks, but at 5900 lbs, GSB would be a pig on the pavement.

The winch is a Warn 9500i (high line speed). I have never used it on myself :no: , dragging 93 lbs around on the front bumper seems kinda stupid, but I sure haven't heard anyone I've helped with it complain.

I plan on using it more often for extractions and the like as it is way easier on the rig. I have cause allot of damage and expense on GSB yanking someone out of a ditch with a strap only because it's faster. Future extractees are going to have to be more patient, even in a race issue. Either that or hand me a blank check before I'll strap up.

[Edited on 5-5-2008 by Gadget]

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 05:04 PM

WOW! I am totally impressed after seeing for myself the narrowness of the grade in places. You guys must have had a long ordeal to get thru the wash. When I couldn't see anyone from the top after coming in from the west at around 1pm, I figured you all had given up. You guys must have been way back at the beginning of the wash near where we camped still. Roy did you see my tracks starting from about half way up the grade? That's as far as I decided to risk it on my bike alone. I regret not having been part of the big accomplishment, but I really didn't feel good about leaving my truck and trailor unattended back at Coco's. You all merit a ton of bragging rights in my book. Thanks for letting me come along.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 05:07 PM

Don't know about the Auburn. The Detroit is not selectable, right? It engages/disengages automatically?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an ARB for the rear on my rig.
XRPhlang
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 05:38 PM
sizeing up the approach

there should be a photo here.

Baja 5-08 045r.JPG - 48kB
XRPhlang
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:03 PM
La Turquesa

the wash & grade

Baja 5-08 049r.JPG - 44kB
XRPhlang
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:11 PM
La Turquesa

Sizeing up the 45 degree climb out.

Baja 5-08 050r.JPG - 47kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I ask because someone else made a claim here on Nomad that sounded like they got through a couple years ago...

Must have missed that one. Who was that? Have a llink?

Desertbull posted this on the thread started by The squarecircle on 6-7-07, Off Road forum, La Turquesa Trek:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25035

>>> posted on 7-3-2007 at 03:18 PM

Just back from Wisconsin...far-far away from Baja.

As stated throughout the thread, its not a new road...and it has been conquered by fullsize 4WD vehicles in the past few years...but it is NOT for the faint of heart or those that don't warrant off road body damage...

I especially love when the road between Puertocitos to Gonzaga gets bad...my FOX Racing Shox suspension works better...

Hot & miseable conditions? When do we leave? <<<

[Edited on 5-6-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
WOW! I am totally impressed after seeing for myself the narrowness of the grade in places. You guys must have had a long ordeal to get thru the wash. When I couldn't see anyone from the top after coming in from the west at around 1pm, I figured you all had given up. You guys must have been way back at the beginning of the wash near where we camped still. Roy did you see my tracks starting from about half way up the grade? That's as far as I decided to risk it on my bike alone. I regret not having been part of the big accomplishment, but I really didn't feel good about leaving my truck and trailor unattended back at Coco's. You all merit a ton of bragging rights in my book. Thanks for letting me come along.

Hi Phil. BJ and I saw your MC tracks over my truck tires from when we went in on Friday morning. I could see two sets and we figured you had gone in and didn't see anyone down below and decided to go back out. It took us 8 hours from when we left camp, about an hour after you left for 9 hrs total, to reach the end of the wash and hill. Roy spent another hour airing his tires up etc before driving up the mountain. So when you got there we were still in the wash somewhere.
XRPhlang
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 08:47 PM

Tom, that's what I figured. You guys had to spend so much time in the wash getting thru. 9 hours of those circling flies is more than I could stand. Would love to go again with you guys. I felt honored to be included and especially hearing all the stories, really!
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 09:09 PM

Good job,guys.I wish i was there,but unless i cut my RAM in half, i wouldn't been able to make this trip.My hat comes off to all participants.
This is the close it's i get to extreme 4wd.

Arroyo x.JPG - 47kB

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 09:40 PM

Cat---------that looks pretty extreme to me-------La Turquesa here you come. Let me know how your Ram does, then I might try it in my F-250 :lol:
The squarecircle
Nomad

Mood: 'Baja Feeling'

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 12:37 AM

Greetings All,

Ken Cooke ---- Yes Ken, I built a nice freeway for you Rubicon herders. There will be a toll station at the climb out! As for the rocks being large... we moved them all aside and cut down all the bushes, cactus and trees that could scratch your jeeps.

Gadget ---- We don't need no stinking GPS specs or maps to get thru. Just follow the yellow ribbons I put up for you and Ken!!! This LR 3 of mine is an open differential full time 4 wheel drive vehicle with a max. grd. clearence of 13" and a longish wheelbase. I wish I did have the optional rear locking unit then I would have at lest an honest 3 wheel drive rig. As crippled as my English Ford is ie. 6,000 lbs. dry weight, 42 gals. of fuel, large ARB Freezer Fridge (full), 2 spare tyres (86 lbs.each), 8 gals. water, too much food, heavy tool box and other sundry things that do not float .... it still did this Trek the hard way .... uphill and it did not break, get dented or leak! > Thank God, I have your phone # in case it needs to be strapped or trailered home.

Barry A ---- Your off-road Xterra would have an excellent shot at the uphill version ot this run. Stock vrs. stock, it is decidedly one of most capable buys right now. Down hill you have little to fear. >>> Now get it ready for all points S. of El Barril.

How can I effectively acknowledge all who have helped me here in completing this Trek and freely admit it would not have happened without the help of:

Mr. Richard Fisher (Daniel Boone)
Mr. Tom Wimberly (Hulk Hogan)
Mr. Bill Jarchow (Judge Alex)
Mr. Phill Lang (Marlon Brando)

THANK YOU for making this trip possible for me.

I do have some pictures somewhere in my puter, but they are lost or floating in cyberspace. Doesn't matter, I can't post anyway.

4465 registered members and only 2 other BajaNomads show up for this adventure? >>> Not to much interest here in 4X4 offroading IMHO.

Best Regards, sq.

[Edited on 5-7-2008 by The squarecircle]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 07:46 AM

Roy, email me the pics or bring your camera and cables over here... and I will be happy to get them online...

The next vacation we have is in July, starting with the El Rosario festival and then heading to Baja Sur where it is nice and warm the way we like it.

Los Corrales, here we come!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 08:14 AM

You said:-------"4465 registered members and only 2 other BajaNomads show up for this adventure? >>> Not to much interest here in 4X4 offroading IMHO."---------

Squarecircle---------you sure know how to make us squirm with embarrassment, and your point it well taken, I am thinking. Believe me, it NOT the lack of interest, tho.

Thanks for the great feed-back------this was truly a great accomplishment, and I think all of us 4-wheelers realize it.

13" of clearance?? hmmmmmmmm, that is a lot, and you got me there by at least an inch on my "X". But thanks for the encouraging words, and it reinforces my belief that the "X" is/was a good choice.

Really looking forward to the vicarious thrill of seeing your pics. if you and David can get together.

You certainly got-r-done!!!! :yes:

Barry
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 08:30 AM

Roy knows I would have gone IF I didn't have a job to do... Not all of us are retired! I mean, it seems to be Baja Angel's and my fault for getting Roy all worked up to get through La Turquesa after this trip: http://vivabaja.com/207

Seriously, Roy did good... he never gave up trying to get through and I am very proud of his efforts!!!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 09:14 AM

David-----I AM retired, :smug: but Redding is a long way north of Baja (that's my excuse, and I am stickin too it). :rolleyes:

I had not seen that particular group of pics before------NICE !

Thank you. :)

barry
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.